Los Angeles Rams offer enticing options on the Athletic’s top 50 free agents of 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
We need to draft or trade for a starting LT unless Noteboom comes back to health and proves he is ready for big time.
We will need a starting DT-dont know if we have a starting caliber replacement for Brockers on the current roster.

I don't know if Noteboom will ever be the player that Whitworth is, maybe they can get one more year out of him. As for Brockers, I would like to see Smart get some more time on the field, I remember that guy was an absolute monster in college.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Idk man. If a kicker can cost you a game, I say you pay a good one. A lot of kickers go through slumps, GZ is a good kicker, we can't afford to gamble on a new kicker that sucks. Pay him. Special Teams is an important aspect of a game, games are won and lost because of special teams, we can't forget that.

You don’t realize how important a decent kicker is til you don’t have one, the bears are probably the best example of that. Where would that team be if they had a kicker who was average let alone good?
Sure Zuerlein has missed a couple kicks this year but he’s still one of the better kickers in the league, remember the monster kick to go to the super bowl?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That’s my priority;

#1- Extend CB Jalen Ramsey
#2- Extend Sl Cooper Kupp
#3- Sign K Greg Zuerlein
#4 - Sign ILB Littleton

I made it very clear of my love for Cory Littleton's play since he arrived as a UDFA rookie under Fisher. I absolutely believe he is one of the best versatile inside lB'ers in the game!

I will acclaim that Cory is capable of playing any LB'er position in a 34 D or a 43 D. His value to this defense "has to be" right behind Aaron Donald. Losing CL next March might cause me to finally be overtaken by my Rams Brain Cloud issue.:cry:

Truth is every NFL team in the NFL knows the above too & have plans to make large truck loads of future cap fund offers to secure Cory's services. Rams simply can not afford to be involved in the CL $$$ event.

When Wade is forced to replace CL next season...he is loaded in numbers with Cap $$ affordable ILB'ers who should be easy returns for 2020.

Micah Kiser
Clay Matthews
Troy Reader
Travon Howard
Kenny young
Dakota Allen
Patrick Natrez
Bryce Hager

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Truth is every NFL team in the NFL knows the above too & have plans to make large truck loads of future cap fund offers to secure Cory's services. Rams simply can not afford to be involved in the CL $$$ event.

When Wade is forced to replace CL next season...he is loaded in numbers with Cap $$ affordable ILB'ers who should be easy returns for 2020.

You can call it truth, but it's still just your opinion. Also, we Rams fans tend to overvalue our stars and undervalue the rest, so I'm not so sure other NFL teams in the NFL will be printing money to sign a good cover LB.

Facts: both Kupp and Ramsey have fifth year options in 2020 that the Rams can pick up and still have about $25 million in cap room. We don't have to sign them to new contracts in 2020 at more than their fifth-year number. The Rams have over $99 million in cap room in 2021, excluding resigning Littleton and Zuerlein, to resign Ramsey and Kupp and others.

dang

Legend
I made it very clear of my love for Cory Littleton's play since he arrived as a UDFA rookie under Fisher. I absolutely believe he is one of the best versatile inside lB'ers in the game!

I will acclaim that Cory is capable of playing any LB'er position in a 34 D or a 43 D. His value to this defense "has to be" right behind Aaron Donald. Losing CL next March might cause me to finally be overtaken by my Rams Brain Cloud issue.:cry:

Micah Kiser
Clay Matthews
Troy Reader
Travon Howard
Kenny young
Dakota Allen
Patrick Natrez
Bryce Hager
scratch Howard and Hager. that ship has sailed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know if Noteboom will ever be the player that Whitworth is, maybe they can get one more year out of him. As for Brockers, I would like to see Smart get some more time on the field, I remember that guy was an absolute monster in college.
I do not believe that OT Joseph Noteboom has the ability & skills to be what Andrew Whitworth has been to this offense since his arrival in LA. I do think that JN can be a better than average performing starting LT for Goff by mid-season 2020 when healthy.

That severe knee injury will cause JN to be unavailable for much of TC & Preseason & more likely still PUP'd for the early part of the 2020 season. Kromer is going to have to find a new starting LT for the initial first half of the season. Not sure if that be Bobby Evans or David Edwards or another Unknown prospect.
None are anywhere near Littleton's ability.
So true!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
scratch Howard and Hager. that ship has sailed.
I would tend to agree with you on Bryce Hager but I wrote him off before & he turned up as our starter at the start.

Is there a reason for the poor opinion of Travin Howard? Howard did clearly outplay favorite preseason rookie defender Dakota Allen. Howard is currently Littleton's back up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You can call it truth, but it's still just your opinion. Also, we Rams fans tend to overvalue our stars and undervalue the rest, so I'm not so sure other NFL teams in the NFL will be printing money to sign a good cover LB.

Facts: both Kupp and Ramsey have fifth year options in 2020 that the Rams can pick up and still have about $25 million in cap room. We don't have to sign them to new contracts in 2020 at more than their fifth-year number. The Rams have over $99 million in cap room in 2021, excluding resigning Littleton and Zuerlein, to resign Ramsey and Kupp and others.

Kupp does not have a 5th yr option. He is in year 3 of a 4 yr contract.

So sure he is still under contract next yr, but they will have to extend him in 21' and it will be big money. So you have to figure that in to any conttact you add and its impact in the 21' cap.

I think they have to move on from Littleton & Fowler as it re-shapes the salary structure and it likely gives you two 3rd rd picks in 21' when you currently only have 4 picks in that draft and no #1, #4 & #5.

Look at the Pats, you have to move on from guys like that and keep drafting well and replace them. They do that all the time.

You have to trust your staff's abilty to coach up young talent and move forward. That is the only way you can keep the window open.

dang

Legend
I would tend to agree with you on Bryce Hager but I wrote him off before & he turned up as our starter at the start.

Is there a reason for the poor opinion of Travin Howard? Howard did clearly outplay favorite preseason rookie defender Dakota Allen. Howard is currently Littleton's back up.
Truth be told I added Howard just so it didn’t look like I was picking on Hager. The NFL is a tough business but the Rams defense has advanced way beyond the skills and abilities of Hager. to me he represents the type of player we had to rely on 3 years ago but no longer warrants a roster spot. Sorry Howard if I unfairly threw you under the bus. Sorry Hager but the NFL is very competitive.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Getz-USA TODAY Sports
The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia has his top 50 free agents for 2020 out, and it includes just two Los Angeles Rams on the list and none in the “just missed.”

For reference, here are the Rams’ impending free agents next offseason:

2020 LA Rams Free Agents
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Malcolm BrownRBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $3.25m
Blake CountessDBUFAWaived
Jared GoffQBUFAOptioned
Tyler HigbeeTEUFARe-signed, 4 yr $31m
Troy HillCBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $8.25m
Marcus PetersCBUFATraded
Aqib TalibCBUFATraded
Austin BlytheOLUFA
Blake BortlesQBUFA
Michael BrockersDLUFA
Marqui ChristianCBUFA
Dante Fowler, Jr.EDGEUFA
Bryce HagerILBUFA
Cory LittletonLBUFA
Mike ThomasWRUFA
Andrew WhitworthLTUFA
Greg ZuerleinKUFA
Morgan FoxDERFA
Jojo NatsonKR/PRRFA
Josh CarrawayOLBERFA
Kendall BlantonTEERFA
Chandler BrewerOLERFA
Josh CarrawayLBERFA
Marquise CopelandDLERFA
Donte DeayonCBERFA
Landis DurhamLBERFA
Dominique HatfieldCBERFA
Jeremiah KoloneOLERFA
Johnny MundtTEERFA
Aaron NearyOLERFA
Jachai PoliteEDGEERFA
Nsimba WebsterWRERFA
John WolfordQBERFA
So who from that group does Kapadia have?

And:

So OL Austin Blythe, DT Michael Brockers, LT Andrew Whitworth and K Greg Zuerlein all didn’t make the cut.

A couple issues complicates the Rams’ decisions in 2020.

First, is the higher priority re-signings of WR Cooper Kupp and CB Jalen Ramsey. Both will be free agents in the 2021 offseason. Both need to be signed to contract extensions moreso than any other impending free agents in the next two seasons. While extending them won’t necessarily alter the salary cap situation in 2020, it will beyond next year. So those deals have to be factored in when considering signing any 2020 free agents if you’re doing so beyond a one-year deal.

The second major issue is position value and therefore cost. Next year alone, the Rams are currently vacating starting spots at left tackle and the edge. Those are extremely expensive positions to fill; in fact, the average left tackle salary is currently higher than the average quarterback salary. So there has to be a careful approach to spending as the Rams, once the Ramsey and Kupp deals are factored in, will be pretty tight in cap terms.

The final factor? The unknowability of market forces in the new collective bargaining agreement. The current CBA expires after the 2020 season. Any free agency decisions beyond next year extend into the new CBA’s world where the salary cap might grow more or less annually than it did in this CBA. It might change the salary constraints for rookies. It might amend veteran salary spending. It might get rid of the franchise tag or the fifth-year option or any variety of changes it could make.

All that being said, we’re looking into free agency next year without a ton of money to use and some key needs looming. So parsing the list, I’m not sure the Rams will be active spenders for potential fits for our roster gaps like Washington Offensive Lineman Employers OL Brandon Scherff (#13) Pittsburgh Steelers EDGE Bud Dupree (#20) or Indianapolis Colts LT Anthony Castonzo (#21). They’ll need to figure who can be promoted from within (like various promotions this offseason) and what less expensive options can be gleaned from the market either by bringing in low-cost options with potential or end-of-career veterans who won’t cost a premium.

Big decisions ahead...
source.gif

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Kupp does not have a 5th yr option. He is in year 3 of a 4 yr contract.

So sure he is still under contract next yr, but they will have to extend him in 21' and it will be big money. So you have to figure that in to any conttact you add and its impact in the 21' cap.

I think they have to move on from Littleton & Fowler as it re-shapes the salary structure and it likely gives you two 3rd rd picks in 21' when you currently only have 4 picks in that draft and no #1, #4 & #5.

Look at the Pats, you have to move on from guys like that and keep drafting well and replace them. They do that all the time.

You have to trust your staff's abilty to coach up young talent and move forward. That is the only way you can keep the window open.
You are right, Kupp was a third round pick so no fifth year option but the Rams can resign Littleton. I was responding to Bonifay’s “truth” that the Rams would have to replace Littleton next year and they don’t have to.

And the Patriots only cut ties with unproductive or chronically injured players. They can do that because they don’t trade away first round picks, instead the acquire them for players like Cooks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not really, they traded Chandler Jones and he was at the top of his game from what I can recall. Lawyer Milloy was a star player for them.
Deion Branch. Also Jaime Collins who they brought back for a few examples.