Los Angeles Rams offer enticing options on the Athletic’s top 50 free agents of 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Getz-USA TODAY Sports
The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia has his top 50 free agents for 2020 out, and it includes just two Los Angeles Rams on the list and none in the “just missed.”

For reference, here are the Rams’ impending free agents next offseason:

2020 LA Rams Free Agents
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Malcolm BrownRBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $3.25m
Blake CountessDBUFAWaived
Jared GoffQBUFAOptioned
Tyler HigbeeTEUFARe-signed, 4 yr $31m
Troy HillCBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $8.25m
Marcus PetersCBUFATraded
Aqib TalibCBUFATraded
Austin BlytheOLUFA
Blake BortlesQBUFA
Michael BrockersDLUFA
Marqui ChristianCBUFA
Dante Fowler, Jr.EDGEUFA
Bryce HagerILBUFA
Cory LittletonLBUFA
Mike ThomasWRUFA
Andrew WhitworthLTUFA
Greg ZuerleinKUFA
Morgan FoxDERFA
Jojo NatsonKR/PRRFA
Josh CarrawayOLBERFA
Kendall BlantonTEERFA
Chandler BrewerOLERFA
Josh CarrawayLBERFA
Marquise CopelandDLERFA
Donte DeayonCBERFA
Landis DurhamLBERFA
Dominique HatfieldCBERFA
Jeremiah KoloneOLERFA
Johnny MundtTEERFA
Aaron NearyOLERFA
Jachai PoliteEDGEERFA
Nsimba WebsterWRERFA
John WolfordQBERFA
So who from that group does Kapadia have?

14. Dante Fowler, EDGE, Rams (26)
He signed a one-year, $12 million deal last offseason to stay with the Rams and will now get to test free agency once again. Fowler is young, plays a premium position and is on pace to set career highs in sacks (currently has 6.5) and QB hits (currently has nine).
And:

23. Cory Littleton, LB, Rams (26)
It’s tough to watch a Rams game and not notice Littleton. He has five interceptions, 21 passes defended, 12 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks and seven QB hits over the past two seasons. Since the start of 2018, Littleton’s 207 tackles rank seventh. He is young and durable (has never missed a game) and will be one of the top off-ball linebackers available.
So OL Austin Blythe, DT Michael Brockers, LT Andrew Whitworth and K Greg Zuerlein all didn’t make the cut.

A couple issues complicates the Rams’ decisions in 2020.

First, is the higher priority re-signings of WR Cooper Kupp and CB Jalen Ramsey. Both will be free agents in the 2021 offseason. Both need to be signed to contract extensions moreso than any other impending free agents in the next two seasons. While extending them won’t necessarily alter the salary cap situation in 2020, it will beyond next year. So those deals have to be factored in when considering signing any 2020 free agents if you’re doing so beyond a one-year deal.

The second major issue is position value and therefore cost. Next year alone, the Rams are currently vacating starting spots at left tackle and the edge. Those are extremely expensive positions to fill; in fact, the average left tackle salary is currently higher than the average quarterback salary. So there has to be a careful approach to spending as the Rams, once the Ramsey and Kupp deals are factored in, will be pretty tight in cap terms.

The final factor? The unknowability of market forces in the new collective bargaining agreement. The current CBA expires after the 2020 season. Any free agency decisions beyond next year extend into the new CBA’s world where the salary cap might grow more or less annually than it did in this CBA. It might change the salary constraints for rookies. It might amend veteran salary spending. It might get rid of the franchise tag or the fifth-year option or any variety of changes it could make.

All that being said, we’re looking into free agency next year without a ton of money to use and some key needs looming. So parsing the list, I’m not sure the Rams will be active spenders for potential fits for our roster gaps like Washington Offensive Lineman Employers OL Brandon Scherff (#13) Pittsburgh Steelers EDGE Bud Dupree (#20) or Indianapolis Colts LT Anthony Castonzo (#21). They’ll need to figure who can be promoted from within (like various promotions this offseason) and what less expensive options can be gleaned from the market either by bringing in low-cost options with potential or end-of-career veterans who won’t cost a premium.

Big decisions ahead...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love GZ and Brockers, but after Blythe they're the easiest decisions to make. Of these 3, Brockers is the only one playing really well - GZ has arguably cost us two games (Steelers FG before half and we would have been in position to win 18-17 late) and obviously the Seattle game.

When you are as strapped as we will be, paying kickers and punters just isn't smart - love Hekker, but if it were possible to save money there, I would do it. He has been mediocre for most of the season and was awful against the Bears - yes, he had some 60+ yard punts, but they all went into the endzone.

OL will be a priority and we will need to bring in a replacement for Brockers - beyond that, we should aim to re-sign both Fowler and Littleton and extend both Kupp and Ramsay.

I would also quietly gauge the trade market for John Johnson - can't see us re-signing him and he's also up for an extension, would likely be leaving after 2020. If we could get a 3rd round pick or better, I'd pull the trigger on it now and draft Weddle's replacement for after next season.

For Brockers we're probably looking at a cheap vet FA to replace him, which would be a hit - and also a draft pick I'd imagine. Heavily scout DE, Safety, OL, and Kicker for the draft.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I know zilch about cap issues. Any chance Blythe turns out to be one of the league's top centers, while flying under the radar enough that we can retain him?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I love GZ and Brockers, but after Blythe they're the easiest decisions to make. Of these 3, Brockers is the only one playing really well - GZ has arguably cost us two games (Steelers FG before half and we would have been in position to win 18-17 late) and obviously the Seattle game.

When you are as strapped as we will be, paying kickers and punters just isn't smart

Idk man. If a kicker can cost you a game, I say you pay a good one. A lot of kickers go through slumps, GZ is a good kicker, we can't afford to gamble on a new kicker that sucks. Pay him. Special Teams is an important aspect of a game, games are won and lost because of special teams, we can't forget that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would also quietly gauge the trade market for John Johnson - can't see us re-signing him and he's also up for an extension, would likely be leaving after 2020. If we could get a 3rd round pick or better, I'd pull the trigger on it now and draft Weddle's replacement for after next season.
Safeties are not getting the high dollar contracts these days aside from a few. Trying to land a JJ replacement with a third rounder is a crap shoot at best. I realize we can't sign everyone but it is very possible that they can work something out to extend him during the '21 season. His injury also probably reduces his value on the open market so we'll just have to see where that goes.

There is a lot of roster tweaking that will go on as we have a few high end FAs to consider and a bunch of either role players or expendables. JJ is a very good player and may come with a reasonable price tag.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Safeties are not getting the high dollar contracts these days aside from a few. Trying to land a JJ replacement with a third rounder is a crap shoot at best. I realize we can't sign everyone but it is very possible that they can work something out to extend him during the '21 season. His injury also probably reduces his value on the open market so we'll just have to see where that goes.

There is a lot of roster tweaking that will go on as we have a few high end FAs to consider and a bunch of either role players or expendables. JJ is a very good player and may come with a reasonable price tag.

When Collins and Thomas signed record breaking safety deals, a reporter asked John John about it - I can't remember the article or his specific response, but I remember coming away from it thinking that he will want that.

No way we're getting him for less than $12 million per season IMO. And I can't see the Rams being able to afford that.

Plus - look at what we gave Goff. John Johnson has been closer to an elite safety than Goff an elite QB - now look at their relative price tags. We basically made Goff the highest paid QB or close to it - we'd need to do the same with Johnson because if we don't, someone will.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When Collins and Thomas signed record breaking safety deals, a reporter asked John John about it - I can't remember the article or his specific response, but I remember coming away from it thinking that he will want that.

No way we're getting him for less than $12 million per season IMO. And I can't see the Rams being able to afford that.

Plus - look at what we gave Goff. John Johnson has been closer to an elite safety than Goff an elite QB - now look at their relative price tags. We basically made Goff the highest paid QB or close to it - we'd need to do the same with Johnson because if we don't, someone will.

Yeah... maybe. But I'm not feeling it. No Pro Bowls, placed on IR for half of this season with a shoulder injury...

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just not convinced he's going to garner top money on the market and could be a reasonable re-sign.

Ram65

Legend
I posted about the defensive moves coming up in another thread.

I don't think the Rams would give JJ a big deal after having to give Ramsey a top dollar deal. They would have to do it early next year before he becomes a free agent in 2021. The money won't hit the cap until 2021.

I'm surprised they waited on Littleton. I would like the Rams to resign him but, he will get top dollar. A think Littleton is too valuable to let go. Seems like Fowler and Brockers will find new homes. The Rams could surprise by keeping Fowler as he may be cost-effective at 10-11 Million per year. Marqui Christian might be good value to keep for a couple of years depending on his market value.

JZ is a50/50 deal. It's not easy to find reliable kickers. Lots of teams are having trouble finding one.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Idk man. If a kicker can cost you a game, I say you pay a good one. A lot of kickers go through slumps, GZ is a good kicker, we can't afford to gamble on a new kicker that sucks. Pay him. Special Teams is an important aspect of a game, games are won and lost because of special teams, we can't forget that.

Totally right.
Look at the Bears, who made it an off-season priority to find an adequate Kicker.
We've seen how that worked out.

GZs floor is adequate and his ceiling is the best in the game.
Kickers aren't expensive compared to their impact in the W/L column, so when you are lucky enough to have one, you keep paying them.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The average salary for a kicker is a shade over $2 million, according to Spotrac, and Legatron's 2019 salary is a little more than $2.5 million. Doesn't seem like we will save much money by signing another FA.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm going to be so disappointed if we don't find a way to extend the key defensive players in Littleton and Ramsey. They've been key to how well we've performed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Big decisions ahead...

This offseason neither Snead nor Demoff will have much free time. In fact they should probably get an extra battery for their phones LOL.

IMO the Steelers game was lost because of poor decisions by McVay and 4 turnovers.

Idk man. If a kicker can cost you a game, I say you pay a good one.

One fact bears that out. The most common margin of victory is 3 points.

When you add together 3 point wins, 2 point wins and 1 point wins it comes out to 22.57 percent.

A bad K will potentially alter a teams season for the worse and could even cost a playoff spot.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/arti...most-common-margin-of-victory-in-the-nfl.aspx

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Priority
#1- Extend CB Jalen Ramsey
#2- Extend Sl Cooper Kupp
#3- Sign K Greg Zuerlein

UFA's ILB'er Cory Littleton, DL'er Micheal Brockers & OLB'er Dante Fowler will not be extended & will hit the FA market & receive better deal offers than the Rams can & sign elsewhere.

OL'er Austin Blythe will get the chance to prove for the first time in his NFL career as the Rams starting center the next 6 games. Blythe has the opportunity here to prove he can be an effectual center in the NFL. If he is successful then the Rams who will be seeking for a starting center in 2020 might see Blythe as the best UFA in the market & resign him over moving on with the young Brian Allen or any other inexperienced centers they have signed.

Austin Blythe will be 28 & entering his 5th NFL season. Blythe will have been a starter for all his career but his rookie season. Rams will have significant desires for veteran leadership in their 2020 OL with the departure of Andrew Whitworth.

Ellard80

Legend
Hopefully there is a way around it.. but they have locked themselves into so many uncap friendly contracts in the glow of the last two years.

Cooks, Gurley, Higbee, Havenstein come to mind....

Their production, for varying reasons to not match their cost- but there is no way that I see out of these contracts without huge dead cap hits.

If any of them would restructure is the only hope i see, but I'm not a cap expert by any means.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Littleton must be re-signed, Fowler can be allowed to walk, and they should part ways with Cooks he is too much of an injury risk.

Ram77

Rookie
We will need a starting LT (Whitworth), DT (Brockers), OLB (Fowler), RG (Blythe).
We can plug in Edwards or Evans for Blythe. We have Obo to replace Fowler.
We need to draft or trade for a starting LT unless Noteboom comes back to health and proves he is ready for big time.
We will need a starting DT-dont know if we have a starting caliber replacement for Brockers on the current roster.
We need to draft Oline, Dline, Oline, LB maybe a RB sprinkled in.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Rams tried to sign Littleton, but he bet on himself and has appeared to won! Lets hope we can get him locked up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Priority
#3- Sign K Greg Zuerlein

That’s my priority;

#3- Sign K Greg Zuerlein