Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay ponders future, says he wants to prioritize time with family

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Nick WagonerESPN Staff WriterTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif.

-- As he enters the biggest game of his professional life followed by the biggest summer of his personal life, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay spent time Friday pondering what all of that means for his future.
McVay doesn't yet have the answer to the ideal work/life balance but he made it known during his team's final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl LVI that it's something that has been on his mind.
Moments after answering a question by saying he "won't make it" if he's coaching until he's 60, McVay was asked why he didn't think that would be the case. McVay, 36, started his response by saying he was joking but then gave a roughly 90-second answer on the other things he wants to pursue in life.

"I love this so much that it's such a passion but I also know that what I've seen from some of my closest friends, whether it's coaches or even some of our players, I'm gonna be married this summer, I want to have a family and I think being able to find that balance but also be able to give the time necessary," McVay said. "I have always had a dream about being able to be a father and I can't predict the future, you know? I jokingly say that.
"I don't really know. I know I love football and I'm so invested in this thing and I'm in the moment right now. But at some point, too, if you said what do you want to be able to do? I want to be able to have a family and I want to be able to spend time with them."

Those thoughts come against the backdrop of multiple sources telling ESPN's Lindsey Thiry in the past and again recently that McVay has considered working as a television analyst as an alternative to coaching.

In January, multiple league executives suggested to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that McVay could follow a similar coaching/broadcasting path to Jon Gruden, whom McVay coached under in Tampa Bay in 2008, and take a break from coaching for a lucrative TV job.

One NFC executive told Fowler, "I think he's trying to get that Super Bowl ring quickly so then he can have options. ... If he wants to do TV for a while, he'd be great at it and can always go back and coach any team he wants after that."

The New York Post reported Thursday that television executives would have interest in McVay if that was something he wanted to pursue, noting "it is not clear yet if he would want to do it."

The lure of starting a family is something McVay was clear about Friday. He and fiancée Veronika Khomyn were originally slated to get married in the south of France in 2020 and then in Southern California last year but have postponed their nuptials both times for pandemic-related reasons.

McVay's thoughts on family run deep and he offered some perspective on that when talking about his own childhood experiences. He said Friday that his father Tim would have been "an unbelievable coach" but never pursued it seriously because he saw the time it meant he would be away after observing his father, John McVay, work as the head coach of the New York Giants and general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.

"I also know how much time is taken away during these months of the year and I saw that growing up," McVay said. "He has such a special relationship with my grandpa who was a coach and in personnel but one of the things that prevented him from getting into coaching was, 'Man, I had such a great relationship but my dad missed out on a lot of the things' but didn't want to do that with me and my little brother. So, I always remembered that and at some point, I want to be able to have a family. So, that's why I say that. But, s---, you'll probably be talking to me when I'm 61 doing this stuff.

"Who knows?"

McVay and general manager Les Snead signed extensions with the Rams in January 2019 that have them under contract through the 2023 season. Since taking over in 2017, McVay has led the Rams to a 61-29 record, including the playoffs, three NFC West division titles and a pair of NFC championships.

For now, McVay's focus is on winning the Lombardi Trophy that has evaded him and the Rams since losing to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII. Atoning for that loss, a game in which McVay has admitted he was outcoached, has been another storyline surrounding the Rams coach this week.

"I think what you do to get over it is you look at yourself in the mirror, you take accountability and you keep it moving," McVay said Monday. "I think as a competitor, you have to be able to handle those tough moments and I'll never run away from the fact that I didn't do a good enough job for our team within what I feel like my role and responsibility is to these guys."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
McVay prepping Kroenke for new contract talks following his big Super Bowl win.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Fucking Nick Waggoner doing what he can to ruin Super Bowl weekend for Rams fans?

Yeah, fuck Nick. This isn't news to Rams fans who follow the team with any regularity.

McVay has been open that he's living life too one-dimensionally and he needs balance. As much as I would love McVay to coach for us for the next 30 years, that's very unlikely to happen. That said, I think it's unreal to expect him to leave coaching before he's married, let alone started a family.

We've got time, people!!!

I will cry real tears when McVay hangs up his whistle to be tv analyst, but he'll kill it at that, too.

When he returns to coaching, after taking the Rams to multiple SB wins, one can only hope he returns to the Rams and wins more rings with us!!!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
God, he is such a hack.

Write some puff pieces about your loser, pieces of shit, dirty playin’ fuckin’ whiners, asshole.

Start with Warner and end with the crier.

Enjoy the off season, dickhead.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have no opinion on Wagoner - why do you ask? :sunglasses:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's win this weekend. That's what matters to me. I won't be surprised if McVay steps away from coaching within the next 5-10 years, especially if we win a couple Super Bowls. But it's not a short-term concern.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God, he is such a hack.

Write some puff pieces about your loser, pieces of shit, dirty playin’ fuckin’ whiners, asshole.

Start with Warner and end with the crier.

Enjoy the off season, dickhead.

you forgot to mention sammy watkins.

wagoner turned into such a whiny bitch about the rams after they didn't draft him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jesus fuck. Foolio gonna be all over this shit.

Turducken

Starter
It makes sense. He could finish his contract after 7 seasons (at 38). Take the next 7 years off, have kids, drink some beverages, do some TV, maybe come back at 45.

Dick vermeil took 15 years off from coaching before he came back to coach the rams.

Mcvay is always turned up to 11. Burn out is a real thing.

oldnotdead

Legend
He talked about having kids etc. Sean's contract expires after the 2023 season. IMO he will think about it when Stafford isn't under contract anymore. When his core players are gone then maybe so is Sean. As long as his core group of players are under contract he's going to be here. He won't have the patience to go through re-building the team.

I don't think it's a coincidence that many of their key players are sign through 2023. Stafford's market value right now is about $45M. Realistically how many years can they afford to sign him after his contract expires after the 2022 season? IMO probably 2-3 years. It's been shown that once you start paying those types of contracts ($40M+) it inhibits the kind of team you can build around them.

Our clue IMO will come from not only the length but the structure of Stafford's contract coupled with Sean's next contract. IMO Sean was talking about one more contract. He didn't work so hard to be a HC for one contract. IMO his next contract is the one that is the one that is likely to be his last. One more 4 year contract will be 11 yrs as a HC. He will be in 40's plenty of time to play daddy. I think the same will be said about Stafford i.e. one more contract. It's the length of that contract that will be interesting.

A Super Bowl win here cements both Matt & Sean as a HOF locks. When you look at how many possible HOF players and their HC on this year's team, it could end up as one of one of the greatest in the NFL's history. But none of the talking heads can get those heads out of their asses to see it. The vast majority have all but given this Super Bowl to the Bengals.

If the Rams play a clean game they can win it going away. It will be close only if the Rams allow it to be.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nick WagonerESPN Staff WriterTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif.

-- As he enters the biggest game of his professional life followed by the biggest summer of his personal life, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay spent time Friday pondering what all of that means for his future.
McVay doesn't yet have the answer to the ideal work/life balance but he made it known during his team's final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl LVI that it's something that has been on his mind.
Moments after answering a question by saying he "won't make it" if he's coaching until he's 60, McVay was asked why he didn't think that would be the case. McVay, 36, started his response by saying he was joking but then gave a roughly 90-second answer on the other things he wants to pursue in life.

"I love this so much that it's such a passion but I also know that what I've seen from some of my closest friends, whether it's coaches or even some of our players, I'm gonna be married this summer, I want to have a family and I think being able to find that balance but also be able to give the time necessary," McVay said. "I have always had a dream about being able to be a father and I can't predict the future, you know? I jokingly say that.
"I don't really know. I know I love football and I'm so invested in this thing and I'm in the moment right now. But at some point, too, if you said what do you want to be able to do? I want to be able to have a family and I want to be able to spend time with them."

Those thoughts come against the backdrop of multiple sources telling ESPN's Lindsey Thiry in the past and again recently that McVay has considered working as a television analyst as an alternative to coaching.

In January, multiple league executives suggested to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that McVay could follow a similar coaching/broadcasting path to Jon Gruden, whom McVay coached under in Tampa Bay in 2008, and take a break from coaching for a lucrative TV job.

One NFC executive told Fowler, "I think he's trying to get that Super Bowl ring quickly so then he can have options. ... If he wants to do TV for a while, he'd be great at it and can always go back and coach any team he wants after that."

The New York Post reported Thursday that television executives would have interest in McVay if that was something he wanted to pursue, noting "it is not clear yet if he would want to do it."

The lure of starting a family is something McVay was clear about Friday. He and fiancée Veronika Khomyn were originally slated to get married in the south of France in 2020 and then in Southern California last year but have postponed their nuptials both times for pandemic-related reasons.

McVay's thoughts on family run deep and he offered some perspective on that when talking about his own childhood experiences. He said Friday that his father Tim would have been "an unbelievable coach" but never pursued it seriously because he saw the time it meant he would be away after observing his father, John McVay, work as the head coach of the New York Giants and general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.

"I also know how much time is taken away during these months of the year and I saw that growing up," McVay said. "He has such a special relationship with my grandpa who was a coach and in personnel but one of the things that prevented him from getting into coaching was, 'Man, I had such a great relationship but my dad missed out on a lot of the things' but didn't want to do that with me and my little brother. So, I always remembered that and at some point, I want to be able to have a family. So, that's why I say that. But, s---, you'll probably be talking to me when I'm 61 doing this stuff.

"Who knows?"

McVay and general manager Les Snead signed extensions with the Rams in January 2019 that have them under contract through the 2023 season. Since taking over in 2017, McVay has led the Rams to a 61-29 record, including the playoffs, three NFC West division titles and a pair of NFC championships.

For now, McVay's focus is on winning the Lombardi Trophy that has evaded him and the Rams since losing to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII. Atoning for that loss, a game in which McVay has admitted he was outcoached, has been another storyline surrounding the Rams coach this week.

"I think what you do to get over it is you look at yourself in the mirror, you take accountability and you keep it moving," McVay said Monday. "I think as a competitor, you have to be able to handle those tough moments and I'll never run away from the fact that I didn't do a good enough job for our team within what I feel like my role and responsibility is to these guys."
Sean, kids are overrated.... Stick to coaching.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'm getting a Dick Vermeil vibe here. Retire, then coach somewhere else. Given his background, he would wait til Frisco comes available. Bummer....

Turducken

Starter
"One more 4 year contract will be 11 yrs as a HC. He will be in 40's plenty of time to play daddy."

At the end of this contract Veronika will be 33. Sean has another window to consider. I hope we get to 10 years (Madden at Raiders length).

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Man alive.....they are getting married during the off season.....someone spike her water with birth control
The Rams have a young dynamic coach and GM. Really thought they hit a home run here (the Rams did) and we would have a Tomlin situation.....although McVay is a superior coach to Tomlin. I really thought we would have McVay for 20 years. His youth. His skillset and his passion and drive....the whole package. I was so optimistic the years of the 2-3 year hack coaching carousel were over for a long time.
The Rams just can't catch a break with stuff.
When they finally do land great head coaches (very rarely) they end up with guys that are either crazy (Martz) or want to get more out of life than just the sidelines. Bummer. Haha.
Oh well, married this year, kids in a year or two.....maybe he goes until they reach 4th grade??......Is that too much to ask?