Los Angeles Rams are impossible to figure out, impossibly fun

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Los Angeles Rams are impossible to figure out, impossibly fun​

What are we supposed to make of the Los Angeles Rams this year? The team that won the Super Bowl in the 2021-22 season finished with one of the worst records in the league in 2022 (mostly due to injuries) came back healthy in 2023, but they've had a season full of mixed results. The Rams are currently 5-6 this season, and just when you thought they might be on their way to another double-digit loss season, they pull off a blowout 37-14 win over the Arizona Cardinals.

And they looked as good as that score indicates.

Running back Kyren Williams racked up over 200 yards from scrimmage with two receiving touchdowns. The Rams dominated on the ground with him and Royce Freeman, and they scored 37 points without major contributions (statistically) from Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua.

This is a completely different Los Angeles Rams team than a couple of years ago, but some of the core pieces remain: Head coach Sean McVay, quarterback Matthew Stafford, wide receiver Cooper Kupp, and defensive lineman Aaron Donald. The roster around those guys, however, looks a lot different. The Rams are one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and we saw an extremely uncharacteristic offseason from general manager Les Snead in which the Rams were sellers, they did almost nothing in free agency, and they stayed put in the NFL Draft.

What the Rams did was put a lot of faith in their head coach, who is one of the best in the NFL. And although things didn't start white hot, by any means, I think you can see things starting to come together for the Rams right now. They're getting healthy at the right time, the young players are developing, and they're getting breakout seasons from players like Kyren Williams and Tutu Atwell.

The Rams have a matchup this coming weekend against the 7-4 Cleveland Browns, which will obviously be a really tough test for them. The Browns have arguably the #1 defense in the entire NFL this season, but they are beaten and battered on both sides of the ball right now. The Rams might be catching them at just the right time to get back to .500 with a record of 6-6.

But after a really down year in 2022, the Rams are fun again, at the very least. Even if they're unpredictable, they are exciting to watch and it's crazy to see a competitive team on the field that looks so different from the star-studded cast we saw out there during that 2021 season.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Every week is tough. Its not like 2021 where we had more confidence. We have no idea if we will win going into any game.

Cleveland is a tough matchup. Mainly because our offense struggles with a good pass rush. Hopefully they've gotten better as the season goes on. Seems like they've settled on the line they want the rest of the season. And they've been healthy for the most part. If someone goes down Noteboom is a capable backup who can play multiple positions.

If they win this one the following week is not must win. If they lose, then the questions start returning and the doubt. At least entering December they control their own destiny. That was not the case last year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL got better once they quit trying to fit Noteboom in and settle on Dotson. Now they're starting to jell and the running game and pass pro are much better.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not sold on Jackson. He really struggles with power and especially speed. His technique isn't good. He's good in the run game but very inconsistent as a pass protector.

I expect him to be replaced with a rookie they draft next year. I can see them grabbing a LT in the second round much like they found Avila in round two. They will be looking for a RT so I think it will come down to if they think they can convince him to make the move, something I doubt. As a RFA next year the Rams could tender him with a 2nd round pick if they intend to keep him. Or they can simply let him walk and be a comp pick in 2025.

The Rams have a choice to make at RT. Either pay Havenstein $14.7 M or start Noteboom at RT while drafting a RT and developing him behind Joe who would be a bridge starter. Financially it makes more sense to make Havenstein a post June 1 release and recoup $6.5M which offsets most of Noteboom's money. Joe played well at RG but again it's an injury issue with him. So play him and hope he gives them half a season to groom his replacement. I see them taking that replacement in the 5th round.

Regardless I think the Rams will have two different starting OTs by 2025. That would fit their timeline to start a new franchise QB1 in 2025. This would be real old school where the OLs were built inside out.

dang

Legend
I’m a DIEHARD Rams fan and a serious homer. With that said I appreciate what they have shown the last two weeks (defensive pass coverage, run game) but I’ll hold off any serious excitement WHEN they beat the Browns. That’s when the real light at the end of the tunnel appears.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Two wins in a row for the first time all season. Can they make it three? And even if they do, won't a loss to Baltimore foul all the good feelings?

Psycho_X

Legend
Financially it makes more sense to make Havenstein a post June 1 release and recoup $6.5M which offsets most of Noteboom's money. Joe played well at RG but again it's an injury issue with him. So play him and hope he gives them half a season to groom his replacement. I see them taking that replacement in the 5th round.
???????

Cut Havenstein post June 1st and save $6.5 million and have to rely on Joe Noteboom not getting injured for the first time ever

orrrrrr

Cut Noteboom post June 1st and save $15 million and have a RT who has missed almost no games over a 9 year career?

Choice seems obvious to me. You still try and find an eventual replacement for Havenstein but I would much rather have that extra $8.5 million over an oft injured Boom... use it to help resign Dotson. Plus, the chemistry between Havenstein and Dotson has been a huge plus this season making them both better because of it. I want to see those two together again next season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They just need to win the winnable games….like vs the Browns at home.

They’ve dropped three of those winnable games already this season. Rams are a top seed wildcard right now if they hadn’t stumbled earlier.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Its not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Every week is tough. Its not like 2021 where we had more confidence. We have no idea if we will win going into any game.

Cleveland is a tough matchup. Mainly because our offense struggles with a good pass rush. Hopefully they've gotten better as the season goes on. Seems like they've settled on the line they want the rest of the season. And they've been healthy for the most part. If someone goes down Noteboom is a capable backup who can play multiple positions.

If they win this one the following week is not must win. If they lose, then the questions start returning and the doubt. At least entering December they control their own destiny. That was not the case last year.
I agree about the struggle against good pass rushes, but for the first time in the AZ game I saw what I call a 9ers blocking scheme on pass and run plays. McVay has kept more in on pass plays and he swings the TE over moving either way to add blocking protection which made Staffords pocket better. Stafford similar to Goff when he has a nice pocket he is accurate.

I assume both Kupp and Stafford will be one more week healthier. Cleveland has 16 of the 53 man listed on their injury report most are starters. No Chubb, no Wills LT huge, Garrett, Ward, Cooper and others listed and most importantly their QB situation DTR in concussion protocol, Flaccp just got their and hasn't played a down this season and Walker's completion percentage is is in the low 40s which is worst of every starter in the NFL by a mile no one is even close by 17 points.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
???????

Cut Havenstein post June 1st and save $6.5 million and have to rely on Joe Noteboom not getting injured for the first time ever

orrrrrr

Cut Noteboom post June 1st and save $15 million and have a RT who has missed almost no games over a 9 year career?

Choice seems obvious to me. You still try and find an eventual replacement for Havenstein but I would much rather have that extra $8.5 million over an oft injured Boom... use it to help resign Dotson. Plus, the chemistry between Havenstein and Dotson has been a huge plus this season making them both better because of it. I want to see those two together again next season.

BOOM

Mic drop…..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, I'm thinking the Noteboom experiment has not been working out. He's serviceable but not reliable. Probably would be best to move on from him.

oldnotdead

Legend
If they get beat by the Ravens a true contender no shame and it won't derail their playoff quest. Baltimore is in the AFC. They play the NFC teams they need to beat after that game. If the Niners lose to the Eagles they also could lose to Baltimore after that. It would mean they are 10-6 going into the final game. The Rams if they lose to the Ravens and sweep the rest the Rams will go into the Niner game at 9-7 only a game behind the Niners. A win there and it comes down to tie breakers.

So no losing to the Ravens an AFC team doesn't kill their chances, as long as they sweep the rest they have a chance to take the division. 9-8 may not get them into the playoffs but it doesn't exclude them either if they beat, Cleveland, Commodes, Saints and Giants. The bottom line is that the Rams are in the playoff mix. How many of you guys thought that the Rams would be in the mix for a playoff berth at this time of the season?

The team is improving as is the coaching. IMO last Sunday was the best game McVay has called in a fucking long time. He showed commitment to the run which he hasn't done since 2018. This OL can run the ball giving McVay a balanced attack. Puka has saved this passing attack. His emergence is the difference with Kupp hobbled. With AD and Turner inside and Young outside they have 3 legit pass rushers. Witherspoon is having a career year as is Williams.

The Rams can't be and won't be overlooked anymore. Only the media will do that.

muggmeister

Rookie
Can someone please explain why the 3-6 Rams were favored against the 6-3 Seahawks? Can someone explain why the 5-6 Rams are again favored against the 7-4 Browns? Yet, these same folks have the Rams ranked in the 18-25 power poll rankings of most major websites and behind these teams in these rankings. I sincerely hope the Rams run the fucking table the rest of the year and prove Vegas knows more than the so-called football experts on TV and in the media. Go Rams and fuck Flacco up! After this game I hope he wishes he had stayed retired!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
There are a few reasons the Rams are favored; one is they are hot and the other is they are playing at home. I guess a third reason is usually the team with the best QB wins. Also have you seen how the Browns play on the road compared to at home.