Lombardi's mock.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
MerlinJones said:
X said:
MerlinJones said:
It affects his (Reiff) play terribly. That's why he's the second rated tackle in the draft and projected to be a top ten pick in pretty much every "experts" mock draft. :roll:

It does no good to get too caught up in combine numbers (see Mike Mamula, Vernon Gholston, etc...). Few of the skills measured translate directly to the playing field. Reiff is fundamentally excellent and plays mean. I think he ends up in Miami as a bookend with Jake Long.

I think that 6 is too high to draft a guard, but that's just personal preference. If it were up to me I'd take whoever's available of Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson.
I'm not necessarily getting caught up in combine warrior hype. Just some things I heard about Reiff. I don't know much about him, so I was asking. Mostly because there are varying opinions about him (I have heard that he has a mean disposition, so that's a good thing). That said, I don't get caught up in "expert" mocks either.

So what's your familiarity with Reiff? Did you watch him in college a lot?

I'm an Iowa alum, so I've watched most of the games he played in college. I think that Reiff is better than Green Bay's Brian Bulaga was when he was at Iowa (for whatever that's worth).
Obviously I don't know if that will translate to the next level, but Iowa has a history of turning out pretty good OL (Robert Gallery not withstanding) so I like his odds of success.

I know that mock drafts (even the "experts") are mostly just conversation and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I still think that Reiff will end up in Miami with the eighth pick.
Yeah, that's quite possible. Fisher doesn't have a big history of drafting offensive linemen in the first round anyway. You never know though, they might trade back a few more spots and grab one. This is new territory for us Rams fans. Trading back and stuff. So how long have you been following the Rams, Merlin Olsen Deacon Jones?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
X said:
MerlinJones said:
X said:
MerlinJones said:
It affects his (Reiff) play terribly. That's why he's the second rated tackle in the draft and projected to be a top ten pick in pretty much every "experts" mock draft. :roll:

It does no good to get too caught up in combine numbers (see Mike Mamula, Vernon Gholston, etc...). Few of the skills measured translate directly to the playing field. Reiff is fundamentally excellent and plays mean. I think he ends up in Miami as a bookend with Jake Long.

I think that 6 is too high to draft a guard, but that's just personal preference. If it were up to me I'd take whoever's available of Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson.
I'm not necessarily getting caught up in combine warrior hype. Just some things I heard about Reiff. I don't know much about him, so I was asking. Mostly because there are varying opinions about him (I have heard that he has a mean disposition, so that's a good thing). That said, I don't get caught up in "expert" mocks either.

So what's your familiarity with Reiff? Did you watch him in college a lot?

I'm an Iowa alum, so I've watched most of the games he played in college. I think that Reiff is better than Green Bay's Brian Bulaga was when he was at Iowa (for whatever that's worth).
Obviously I don't know if that will translate to the next level, but Iowa has a history of turning out pretty good OL (Robert Gallery not withstanding) so I like his odds of success.

I know that mock drafts (even the "experts") are mostly just conversation and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I still think that Reiff will end up in Miami with the eighth pick.
Yeah, that's quite possible. Fisher doesn't have a big history of drafting offensive linemen in the first round anyway. You never know though, they might trade back a few more spots and grab one. This is new territory for us Rams fans. Trading back and stuff. So how long have you been following the Rams, Merlin Olsen Deacon Jones?

As a Rams fan I know what you mean. For the first time in several years I'm actually excited about the draft possibilities for the team.

I've been following the Rams since grade school and the 1980 Super Bowl (not nearly old enough to have seen my namesakes play). I actually remember Merlin Olsen from Little House on the Prairie before I ever knew he played football :yeh:

I have NFL Films to thank for my appreciation of Mr.(s) Olsen and Jones.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
MerlinJones said:
As a Rams fan I know what you mean. For the first time in several years I'm actually excited about the draft possibilities for the team.

I've been following the Rams since grade school and the 1980 Super Bowl (not nearly old enough to have seen my namesakes play). I actually remember Merlin Olsen from Little House on the Prairie before I ever knew he played football :yeh:

Well cool. It's good to have you aboard. The more the merrier (or the more the bigger the crowd of malcontents who suffered needlessly through a decade of subpar football up until recently, and I'm going to drag out this statement until the end of the parentheses can be placed on a different line). If you're into old Rams game, by the way, Hulu has a whole mess of them available for your viewing pleasure. If you didn't already know, of course.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=rams&st=0&fs=

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
I don't like it either, but in his defense, he does know our situation, but he believes that Fisher could use Ingram anywhere on the line, thinks he's a premier player and could grow 20 lbs. He, amongst others, just really love them some Melvin Ingram.
I still don't agree. Didn't we already try taking a DE and moving him to DT? It didn't work that time either. Since it's a draft with so many players at DT why not just take a DT? I don't get it. If we have a good DT with CL and the Mighty Quinn we'll have a pretty damn good line. If anything, I want the Rams to take a DT that can start away at a high pick (maybe round 1 or 2) and another one for development later (say round 6).

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
I don't like it either, but in his defense, he does know our situation, but he believes that Fisher could use Ingram anywhere on the line, thinks he's a premier player and could grow 20 lbs. He, amongst others, just really love them some Melvin Ingram.
I still don't agree. Didn't we already try taking a DE and moving him to DT? It didn't work that time either. Since it's a draft with so many players at DT why not just take a DT? I don't get it. If we have a good DT with CL and the Mighty Quinn we'll have a pretty damn good line. If anything, I want the Rams to take a DT that can start away at a high pick (maybe round 1 or 2) and another one for development later (say round 6).

Do that, and then get Jason Jones in FA. :cheese:

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
X said:
MerlinJones said:

Well cool. It's good to have you aboard. The more the merrier (or the more the bigger the crowd of malcontents who suffered needlessly through a decade of subpar football up until recently, and I'm going to drag out this statement until the end of the parentheses can be placed on a different line). If you're into old Rams game, by the way, Hulu has a whole mess of them available for your viewing pleasure. If you didn't already know, of course.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=rams&st=0&fs=

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out.

steferfootball

Starter
Could someone explain to me what the deal with Dontari Poe is? I haven't paid attention to the college guys this year.

IIRC, he has like 3 tackles for loss but can bench a small cow. Is he any good on film?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:

Yeah I'm with yuh Broke. I also watched some film on Ingram. He sure seems to play small - even for a DE. In no way can I see him stuffing the middle. Maybe others have watched him more and have a more informed opinion but I just don't see it. If we go with him instead of a real play maker, I'll be shocked.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
steferfootball said:
Could someone explain to me what the deal with Dontari Poe is? I haven't paid attention to the college guys this year.

IIRC, he has like 3 tackles for loss but can bench a small cow. Is he any good on film?

He fought off double teams all season long, which are usually a sign that a defensive tackle is doing at least a part of his job well. I also hear that Poe played in a system that wasn't fit to his talents (read-and-react). If he's allowed to roam free, eat double teams, disrupt the pocket, and/or penetrate into the backfield, he could very well thrive.

The Combine numbers show that he's so much more than a Ted Washington type. Poe is very strong (posted the most bench repititions out of any prospect at the Combine) and extremely athletic for a man of his size. His potential is far too big to ignore, and it might get him into the top ten. Remember that potential is what got guys like Jason Pierre-Paul, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, and Haloti Ngata as high as they were.

Either Poe or Ta'amu would be a huge get for our defense. Ta'amu shows up more on film, but Poe has the higher upside. In my opinion, you couldn't go wrong with either one of them. I just want us to get younger at defensive tackle. A healthy Cudjo would be a good rotational player, and Bannan showed that he still has something left, but I honestly think that we'll need two defensive tackles in this draft. I can't see the Rams keeping Scott, Robbins, and Gibson for another year.

steferfootball

Starter
Memento said:
steferfootball said:

He fought off double teams all season long, which are usually a sign that a defensive tackle is doing at least a part of his job well. I also hear that Poe played in a system that wasn't fit to his talents (read-and-react). If he's allowed to roam free, eat double teams, disrupt the pocket, and/or penetrate into the backfield, he could very well thrive.

The Combine numbers show that he's so much more than a Ted Washington type. Poe is very strong (posted the most bench repititions out of any prospect at the Combine) and extremely athletic for a man of his size. His potential is far too big to ignore, and it might get him into the top ten. Remember that potential is what got guys like Jason Pierre-Paul, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, and Haloti Ngata as high as they were.

Either Poe or Ta'amu would be a huge get for our defense. Ta'amu shows up more on film, but Poe has the higher upside. In my opinion, you couldn't go wrong with either one of them. I just want us to get younger at defensive tackle. A healthy Cudjo would be a good rotational player, and Bannan showed that he still has something left, but I honestly think that we'll need two defensive tackles in this draft. I can't see the Rams keeping Scott, Robbins, and Gibson for another year.
Okay, makes sense.

Was he doubled literally every play? Because I'd like to see a number 6 pick be able to make plays when he is not doubled.

On the other hand, if teams feel the need to double him in the Pros, and he can hold his ground or disrupt plays without shedding blockers (ie bull rush a guy into the running back) that has value in and of itself.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
steferfootball said:

Couldn't agree more with Poe and Ta'amu, they would be my two favorites for our team. Poe's skill set is extremely special and possibly one of a kind. Ta'amu is unbelievably quick and powerful. I too think the Rams should pick two DT's, and this is the draft to do it. Maybe Winn in the middle rounds. Winn has some pass rushing skills and a good motor and size.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Idk. That whole top ten seems pretty unlikely, but you never know really. It could happen just like that.

Keep in mind guys, Chris Long and James Hall are both free agents after next season. James will probably retire even.

He looks more like a 3-4 outside linebacker to me from first impressions.

I do like this video however... :shock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dkwPHQJXk[/youtube]

Memento

Name
Jemma
steferfootball said:
Okay, makes sense.

Was he doubled literally every play? Because I'd like to see a number 6 pick be able to make plays when he is not doubled.

On the other hand, if teams feel the need to double him in the Pros, and he can hold his ground or disrupt plays without shedding blockers (ie bull rush a guy into the running back) that has value in and of itself.

I don't think Memphis had anyone else of note (they were a 2-10 team), so I would assume that their best player (Poe) would be double-teamed on every play. One C-USA coach basically said that their entire gameplan with Memphis was tailored around stopping Poe. This is basically a detailed scouting report on him, if you're interested:

http://cookies.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1717351

steferfootball

Starter
Username said:
Keep in mind guys, Chris Long and James Hall are both free agents after next season. James will probably retire even.
Already? It feels like just yesterday that we were drafting him.

They grow up so fast... :cry:

steferfootball

Starter
Memento said:
steferfootball said:
Okay, makes sense.

I don't think Memphis had anyone else of note (they were a 2-10 team), so I would assume that their best player (Poe) would be double-teamed on every play. One C-USA coach basically said that their entire gameplan with Memphis was tailored around stopping Poe. This is basically a detailed scouting report on him, if you're interested:

http://cookies.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1717351
I don't know enough about him, but he seems like a reach in the first half of the first.

Now if we were to trade down again.... :twisted:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
steferfootball said:
Username said:
Already? It feels like just yesterday that we were drafting him.

They grow up so fast... :cry:

lol I know.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4707/chris-long

Final-year escalators from his rookie contract shot Rams LE Chris Long's 2012 base salary from $2.56 million to $10.31 million.
As TurfShowTimes.com has reported, Long's 2012 cap figure is a whopping $18.1 million. The Rams could clear quite a bit of cap space if they signed Long to an extension. Long, who turns 27 later this month, has increased his sack total in each of his four NFL seasons. He set a career high with 13 in 2011. Mar 11 - 4:26 PM

7/20/2008: Signed a five-year, $48 million contract. The deal contains $22.385 million guaranteed, including a first-year roster bonus of $2.605 million. Another $12 million is available through incentives. Long voided year six by playing in 35% of St. Louis' defensive snaps as a rookie. He is eligible for a onetime $4.01 million "likely to be earned" escalator based on performance. 2012: $10.31 million, 2013: Free Agent

Memento

Name
Jemma
steferfootball said:
I don't know enough about him, but he seems like a reach in the first half of the first.

Now if we were to trade down again.... :twisted:

I doubt that Poe would be there. There are a lot of teams showing interest in him. He's not getting out of the top fifteen; he has way too much potential for that.

DR RAM said:
Couldn't agree more with Poe and Ta'amu, they would be my two favorites for our team. Poe's skill set is extremely special and possibly one of a kind. Ta'amu is unbelievably quick and powerful. I too think the Rams should pick two DT's, and this is the draft to do it. Maybe Winn in the middle rounds. Winn has some pass rushing skills and a good motor and size.

Hmm...I agree about Winn, but keep an eye on Akiem Hicks. He's a Canadian prospect who looks like he has a lot of potential. Mike Martin also wouldn't be a bad choice, but I don't think there's a lot of potential with him.