Lions' only chance to not flounder in 2024

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brucebruce

Rookie
Fire Campbell and promote Ben Johnson.

Have you ever had a boss that you knew was holding the company back? Your boss is not good enough in his role and he can't do your job despite being in the same dept.

Campbell got them this far, which he should get credit for, but he isn't smart enough to get further. And they lost today because of Campbell's low IQ situational football strategy. It's not the first time either.

In reality, stellar drafting in combination with Ben's OC skills are what made the Lions a force.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Maybe in a vacuum. The NFL is not a computer simulation. There are real human beings and personalities involved. They would completely lose the locker room if they did this. Even if you think Johnson is a better HC candidate than Campbell, and that on paper it would be worth jettisoning Campbell to keep him, I don't see any way it could be executed successfully.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Campbell is such an arrogant gambler. Karma caught up to Captain Roid Rage and his dirtbag goon, Kerby Joseph.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wish they would. In fact I doubt they get past us if Johnson was their coach this year. And I don't look forward to facing Campbell teams in the playoffs the next couple years.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Dan Gamble lost the game by being stupid. For certain.

Serves him right for running a dirty team though.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Meh. Not my problem. I was a “Lions fan” for the day. Now…they’re just another team I don’t care about. Let them solve their own problems.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's crazy, almost as bad as saying the Rams should have fired McVay after he got schooled by Belichek in his first Super Bowl.

Without a doubt he made some bad decisions today, but like McVay, he can learn from them. The fact that he changed the culture of this Lions team, which was dogshit for decades, is no small feat. They absolutely wouldn't have been in the NFCC if it wasn't for that.

brucebruce

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe in a vacuum. The NFL is not a computer simulation. There are real human beings and personalities involved. They would completely lose the locker room if they did this. Even if you think Johnson is a better HC candidate than Campbell, and that on paper it would be worth jettisoning Campbell to keep him, I don't see any way it could be executed successfully.

this is about not losing Ben Johnson. you can only keep one. what happens to the locker room if you lose your OC and keep a middling coach...see the eagles.

brucebruce

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh. Not my problem. I was a “Lions fan” for the day. Now…they’re just another team I don’t care about. Let them solve their own problems.

anything but a 9er win, in my book. i look forward to the lions losing their magic next year.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
this is about not losing Ben Johnson. you can only keep one. what happens to the locker room if you lose your OC and keep a middling coach...see the eagles.
I don't think the locker room is impacted at all when an OC leaves for a promotion. The issue is just that, if you cannot replace the departed OC, then your operation will suffer. I think that is what happened in Philly, rather than losing the locker room. And I sure hope it happens in Detroit next with Johnson departing!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Eagles D was the bigger problem.. Campbell & Holmes are tied together, imo… and that’s VERY different from Philly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson is gone, Detroit wins 6-7 games next year and Goff is in the last year of his contract
But Campbell can say, I went for it

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
That’s crazy. Dan Campbell made them relevant. They ply for him and embody his energy. He was aggressive on 4th down, but is that really out of the ordinary? They got that far BECAUSE of those calls. They just couldn’t execute. If Reynolds doesn’t drop important passes on 3rd and 4th down, nobody is spewing this bullshit about Campbell.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Dan Campbell has the right culture in place. I don't think you get rid of him. He did fire Lynn and hire Johnson so I think he can go about getting a coordinator. They'll take a step back on offense most likely but if they can draft some horses on D and Jamison becomes consistent at WR they're gonna be really good next year and will be able to win non shootouts.

I don't have any issues with him going for it on 4th. Execution errors killed them on offense and special teams and they got the best out of a middling D (that needs an upgrade when it comes to tackling!) until they were gassed late.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Johnson is gone, Detroit wins 6-7 games next year and Goff is in the last year of his contract
But Campbell can say, I went for it
Does Johson take Sewell, St. Brown, Decker, Laporta, Jamison and Gibbs with him, not to mention a handful of other guys?

Must have missed that press release.