Leverage?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I heard Bruce Arians complain this week that on two of the kicks last week, the Rams illegally touched the center (or some sort of BS). When the refs through that flag on the FG today, the first thing I thought of was that Peterson had somehow heard Arian's rant and had told the refs prior to the game to look for it. Not saying it would have made a difference in the outcome, but it might have left a few extra minutes on the clock at the end. With Legatron on our team, we wouldn't have to move much to get into FG position. Then again, we might call for another bomb and get stripped.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I saw no leverage from any player on that play.
Let alone the guy they called it on - Ekubam.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It was a bad call. As was most of the holding they did at the point of attack. They only called one or 2 once it was so obvious they had to.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The holding call on Sullivan on the second series, when Gurley had the big run, was BS too.

fearsomefour

Legend
I saw no leverage from any player on that play.
Let alone the guy they called it on - Ekubam.
Yeah.
There was nothing there.
It reminds me of the old "no canning the center" rule from youth football.

fearsomefour

Legend
The holding call on Sullivan on the second series, when Gurley had the big run, was BS too.
It was a hold.
But not a terrible terrible one.
Basically holds are only being called if they have a direct impact on a tackle not being made. Like tbe Sullivan play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a hold.
But not a terrible terrible one.
Basically holds are only being called if they have a direct impact on a tackle not being made. Like tbe Sullivan play.

It was a stretch play. Almost every player uses that same hand placement. Sullivan didn't yank him, tackle him, or use his jersey to turn him. It was not holding based on how the NFL enforces it.

And it would be less frustrating if they hadn't let the Eagles get away with more blatant holds the entire first half.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think the leverage call means you can’t jump on a player’s back in order to block a kick.

The ref who threw the flag probably saw #99 AD jump over the guard’s back. I think what AD did was legal though

nighttrain

Legend
if you can, go back and look. Sullivan had his guy by the jersy, and pulled him up close where his hands could not be seen. But he had him. good call
train

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The play I "loved" was the sweep to the left of our defense and the center grabbed Ogletree by the neck of the jersey and rode him down the field for 7 or 8 yards. They even gave a slo mo of the play after it, giving fact to a very obvious hold.....but no call.

jap

Legend
Given how sensitive the officials are towards QBs getting hit in the head, I was mildly surprised that no call was made on the Eagles Dl guy who's helmet collided with Jared's and who's hand struck Jared's helmet on one play. The commentators said Jared felt that one, but that play was more blatant than some of the ones they called against the Horns. I hate to resort to blaming the refs for losses, but you would think some accountability would be in order after all the issues over the years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if you can, go back and look. Sullivan had his guy by the jersy, and pulled him up close where his hands could not be seen. But he had him. good call
train

Nah. It was the wrong call. He had one hand inside and one hand outside on the shoulder, but that's how the majority of OLs block on the stretch play. You can throw a holding flag whenever you want to and justify it, but based on how the NFL enforces holding, it was a BS call.

If that was holding, the Eagles were holding on every pass play.

nighttrain

Legend
Nah. It was the wrong call. He had one hand inside and one hand outside on the shoulder, but that's how the majority of OLs block on the stretch play. You can throw a holding flag whenever you want to and justify it, but based on how the NFL enforces holding, it was a BS call.

If that was holding, the Eagles were holding on every pass play.
i might be thinkin of the wrong play

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unconscionable call given the weight of the game and situation. Beyond bad.

McVay needs to go on a tirade about that $#!T.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i might be thinkin of the wrong play

Jernigan_1.png

Can you throw a flag? Sure. But that's not how the NFL has been enforcing holding. Sullivan didn't jerk him away from Gurley, he didn't use his jersey to turn him, and he didn't take him to the ground. Jernigan was able to get his arm on Gurley. It was a weak call, just like both DPIs they called.

fearsomefour

Legend
It was a stretch play. Almost every player uses that same hand placement. Sullivan didn't yank him, tackle him, or use his jersey to turn him. It was not holding based on how the NFL enforces it.

And it would be less frustrating if they hadn't let the Eagles get away with more blatant holds the entire first half.
If Gurley didn't run right their either it wouldn't have been called.
The enforcement is inconsistent to say the least.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As were both our early DPIs and the PF on Tru. The refs were trash.

PI calls are touchy sometimes.

But the PF call was total bullshit and changed the games direction. It was bullshit, plain and simple.

The play I "loved" was the sweep to the left of our defense and the center grabbed Ogletree by the neck of the jersey and rode him down the field for 7 or 8 yards. They even gave a slo mo of the play after it, giving fact to a very obvious hold.....but no call.

Dude I watched that and was waiting for the flag........I actually thought "yes it's coming back and they are backed up".........but no flag.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PI calls are touchy sometimes.

But the PF call was total bullcrap and changed the games direction. It was bullcrap, plain and simple.

PI calls are touchy, but Tru got his head around on an underthrown ball and batted it down. You can't call that.