Leverage revisited

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I'm watching the replay of the Rams-Eagles game and still am P.O.'d about the leverage call on the field goal (not to mention Trumaine's BS call for trash talking). Did McVay say that any of the officials explained the leverage call to him? It was clear that the announcers, including Mike Pereira, didn't see anything. On another note, I watched the end zone shot of the play where Goff got stripped. Watkins was wide open on the play. Had Goff connected, it would have most likely been a TD. I still don't like the call when we're up by one with 8 and a half minutes left but understand what McVay was thinking. Hopefully, he learns from the mistake.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great points, Monranaramfan. I saw the same thing on the endzone shot where Goff got stripped of the ball: Watkins seemed to be breaking open.

Now that I watched the coaches film of the play, I'm not so sure. It looks like Watkins had the corner beat but the safety was closing in from underneath. It would have been close in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Goff-Strip.png

Also, Austin is wide open in the flat at the top of the picture. And Kupp is wide open on the NFL sign.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno.

The refs could have flagged one of our guys for setting an Eagles player on fire and I'm pretty sure no Ram coach would speak out against the refs.

Why? Because the refs union are the worst of the worst and it's okay to totally change the outcome of a season being wrong, but it's NOT DAMN okay to talk about the wrong call, even if the league admits that it was the wrong call later.

"Personal foul. Ignition...on the defense. 15-yard penalty. Automatic First Down!"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They had a lead, chance to win. Blaming refs is getting tired. Offense scored 28 points and STs added 7 more. Defensive play let the team down. Really Trumaine and Samson Ebukam.

Who know who doesn't blame refs? The fans of the team that won.

And personally I don't really care that the play for Sammy didn't work. You run the ball there people call it conservative and playing not to lose....you pass and it's incomplete should've run it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had a lead, chance to win. Blaming refs is getting tired. Offense scored 28 points and STs added 7 more. Defensive play let the team down. Really Trumaine and Samson Ebukam.

And personally I don't really care that the play for Sammy didn't work. You run the ball there people call it conservative and playing not to lose....you pass and it's incomplete should've run it.

We've shit on the refs after a few wins. You can tell when the refs were bad. I'm tired of people saying, "We had a chance to win." That's irrelevant. The refs are professionals. If they're not doing their job, they deserve to get called out.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That picture upsets me more then I thought. The line is giving Goff a lot of time, except for one fucking guy.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great points, Monranaramfan. I saw the same thing on the endzone shot where Goff got stripped of the ball: Watkins seemed to be breaking open.

Now that I watched the coaches film of the play, I'm not so sure. It looks like Watkins had the corner beat but the safety was closing in from underneath. It would have been close in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Goff-Strip.png

Also, Austin is wide open in the flat at the top of the picture. And Kupp is wide open on the NFL sign.
Looks like Kupp was about to get that ball ... If hav is in there that’s. 1st down

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
That picture upsets me more then I thought. The line is giving Goff a lot of time, except for one freaking guy.
That one guy is the back up in his first snap of the game. Asking him to give Goff enough time to make a deep pass against a seasoned veteran like Long was not the right call. Maybe a few snaps down the line when he gets a feel for defending Long, but Goffs first read should have been tavon for a few yards.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
They called leverage on #50 Ebukam. When I saw the play, he was getting tackled by an eagles player. It should have been holding and they would have had to punt or try a 64 yard field goal.

Secondly, I may be mistaken but I could have sworn that they called Foles in the grasp at the 41 yard line when the refs announced the call. That would have made it a 58 yard FG attempt but the ball was placed on the 37, making it a 54 yard attempt.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

Goff-Strip.png

Good picture , tavon has to have the lowest football IQ in the nfl . He just stands there instead of moving and opening up for goff to make an easier throw . Not the first time i have seen this from him .

Psycho_X

Legend
Also, since we're on the subject.... such a well defended pass. His hand is on his back to keep track of him but obviously no pulling or shoving going on. The ball was underthrown and Jeffrey's had to slow down causing them to be close to each other but Tru still kept his eyes on the ball and smacked it away with his hand. No jersey pulling, no pushing, eyes on the ball the whole time, personally swatted the ball himself, WR falls down due to underthrown ball.... smeg off refs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, since we're on the subject.... such a well defended pass. His hand is on his back to keep track of him but obviously no pulling or shoving going on. The ball was underthrown and Jeffrey's had to slow down causing them to be close to each other but Tru still kept his eyes on the ball and smacked it away with his hand. No jersey pulling, no pushing, eyes on the ball the whole time, personally swatted the ball himself, WR falls down due to underthrown ball.... smeg off refs.

He's got his right hand on Jeffrey's jersey. Roles reversed we'd be screaming PI.
Philly got all the breaks. That ball is underthrown because Wentz was getting decked as he threw it. Half second earlie he gets hit, and Rams may get the turnover. Or, if he doesnt get hit, ball may have been overthrown. Who knows.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Play before the Goff strip/sack was a questionable PI call that gave the Rams a 1st down. If Rams dont catch that break, they punt the ball and still have the lead....

Psycho_X

Legend
He's got his right hand on Jeffrey's jersey. Roles reversed we'd be screaming PI.
Philly got all the breaks. That ball is underthrown because Wentz was getting decked as he threw it. Half second earlie he gets hit, and Rams may get the turnover. Or, if he doesnt get hit, ball may have been overthrown. Who knows.

I don't think I'd be as long as we hadn't been similarly screwed before. If the defender is looking at the ball, not noticeably changing the direction of the receiver, and makes direct contact with the ball with their hands I call that a well defended pass all the way. Either way, it seems like every game is just waiting for the penalty that'll change the course of the game completely and hoping it isn't completely uncalled for. And not talking just the Rams.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

To me it is PI because he held the jersey and on another angle you could clearly see him tugging on it.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Should have been a pick, Jeffery had his arm around Tru as well until the end.

I don't think that's a good call, it's close and in big games like this, you should let them play. If that flag was thrown in the playoffs or Super Bowl I think a lot of media are making a huge deal about it. Shouldn't have been thrown in my opinion.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I guess I don't understand why leverage is a penalty to begin with. I see no player safety issue because of something like that, only another angle for the refs to involve themselves in the outcome. No one pays to see the zebras.

I do think penalties are subjective and far too often get called by what the ref thought might have happened instead of what they actually saw. And then there is the question of calling holding on every play because if you watch you can see someone doing something that looks a lot like holding every play.

The best thing to me is to play so well that couple of blown calls isn't going to have an affect on the outcome. GSOT did it all the time.

No way in hell this team should give up that many points in a game, I'm more disappointed in the defensive game plan and play than the refs.