Lets talk week one vs the Colts/Andrew Luck officially out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
WARNING: LONG READ AHEAD, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

It's game week ladies and gentlemen. The first regular season contest for the Los Angeles Rams is upon us. It went pretty fast I would say. Lets recap this past year shall we?

We went into 2016 with high hopes. 5th year of Fisher, shiny new draft picks in Jared Goff, Pharoah Cooper, Tyler Higbee and Mike Thomas. Todd Gurley was supposed to lead the league in rushing and our defense was out for blood.

Fast forward to week 1 and well, you know the story. Case Keenum comes out leading the charge and the Rams fall flat on their faces, losing to the abysmal 49ers in a treacherous 28-0 loss. The sky was falling and it was all Jeff Fishers fault. How would the team respond?

We're 3-1, sitting atop the NFC West. Expectations are high for the rest of the season. Fans haven't felt this way since 2006, back when I was still in 9th grade. The lowly Bills are coming to town and we're all feeling pretty good. The injury report comes out and William Hayes, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn are all listed as OUT. Lesean McCoy proceeds to shred us for 150 yards rushing. We lose 31-19.

The next three games would be decided by a total of 13 points. 31-28 loss to Detroit, 17-10 loss vs NY and 13-10 loss vs Carolina. We finally pull out a victory in a 9-6 barnburner against the Jets. Even with the long awaited win, fans are still calling for Case Keenums head, and they get their wish.

Enter Jared Thomas Goff. The talented, strong armed, deadly accurate QB from Cal. Drafted 1st overall while giving away the house in return, we finally had our quarterback. At least that's what we thought. It's 10-0 with just over 5 mins to go in the 4th quarter. The Dolphins have struggled all day against the fierce Rams defense and Ryan Tannehill looks like a high school QB. Great start for the young rookie, looking at his first win as an NFL starter. To save you the agony of reliving what follows shortly afterwards, we have an entirely new coaching staff and Jared Goff is 0-7.

So how I do I feel about the first game of 2017? Cautiously optimistic. The Colts are coming to the coliseum without Andrew Luck, Vontae Davis and Ryan Kelly. If I was a fan of literally any other team in the NFL, I would mark this down as an automatic win. But, this is the Rams we're talking about. The same team that got swept by the 2-14 49ers.

However this game goes, it won't surprise me. If the offense comes out and puts up 450 yards of offense and we shut out the Colts, I'll still feel the same way I do now. Such is life of a Rams fan. Never get too high or too low. Hopefully, this season is a turning point in a forgettable 12 year history in which the Rams went 26-46-1 in games decided by 7 or less points, and haven't done better then 8-8.

Players to watch: Robert Quinn/Connor Barwin
After coming off an injury riddled 2016 season along with 2015, Quinn may be the key cog in our defense this year. In Wade Phillips scheme, he loves playing man to man. In order to do this effectively, you need a very good pass rush. With Aaron Donald likely out for a prolonged period of time, Quinn needs to be in his 2013 pro bowl form. We all know he has the talent, if healthy. I can see him getting 2 sacks in this game. With Connor, we need to see him generate push from the other side. He's looked pretty decent in the pre season this year, causing Derek Carr to hurry a throw and get picked by Trumaine Johnson. His pass rush is extremely important in this game.

Lamarcus Joyner
Switching from slot corner to FS, Joyner looks poised for either a breakout season, or a step back. A big hitter and above average in coverage, we need him to roam the backfield and keep Indys top two receivers from running by him. Both TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief have the speed to stretch a defense. If the above LBs aren't able to generate a pass rush, LJ will be counted on to make the receivers lives a living hell.

The entire Oline
This group has been a talking point for the last, I don't know, 10 years? These guys absolutely need to play well if we want to win any games. The Colts aren't particularly strong with their pass rush, but I've seen us get burnt many times by JAGS again and again. I trust McVay to help Jamon Brown and Big Rob. Of course, the left side is our strong point this year with Whitworth and Saffold manning that side. We should be able to eat the Colts lunch in the run game. I really would like to see a dominant performance. But again, Cautiously Optimistic.

Kayvon Webster
After being stuck behind a star studded defensive backfield, Webster finally gets his shot at a starting gig. With camp reports saying he's all over the field making plays, I feel good about his chances at succeeded across Trumaine Johnson. He needs to show he belongs in this league. Cover, tackle and don't get beat deep.

Tavon Austin
Can he return to his 2015 form? We all remember the game 4 years ago against the Colts when he broke out with 300 all purpose yards and 3 touchdowns. With no Vontae Davis to adopt, and Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods to take the pressure off, I expect Tavon to do pretty much whatever he wants this game. McVay will come up with a way to deploy him whether it's in the slot, outside or even out of the backfield.

Jared Goff
Did you think I was going to forget about our golden boy? He now has weapons, a real NFL offense and half a season worth of games under his belt. I think he needs to come out firing and show the world he's ready to rock and roll. The Colts are the perfect team to unleash his arsenal and we will see just how much he's developed.

Summary:
This is a game the Rams SHOULD win. But this is the NFL and anything can happen. Charlie Frye...err...Scott Tolzein, shouldn't be a problem for the defense. That offense has looked bad during the preseason with a total of 13 points scored coming from the 1st team. But they still have weapons with Hilton, Moncrief, Gore and Doyle. We can't let those guys kill us. And I don't think we will.

Prediction: Rams win 27-10.
Goff- 27/35 284 yards 2 touchdowns 1 INT
Gurley- 104 yards 1 touchdown 3 reception 26 yards
Watkins- 6 receptions 84 yards 1 touchdown
Kupp- 7 receptions 71 yards
Woods- 3 reception 46 yards
Austin- 5 receptions 45 yards 1 touchdown 7 rushes 57 yards
Everett- 1 reception 5 yards
Higbee- 2 receptions 7 yards

Quinn- 2 sacks FF
Barwin- 1 sack
Ogletree- 9 tackles 2 PBs
Johnson- 1 INT
Alexander- 1 INT

Legatron- 2-2 long of 52 yards

Last edited:

EasyE

Starter
After the last few years, I am afraid to get optimistic about any game unless we are huge underdogs....

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Most of us will and should be highly disappointed if we lose this game. The Colts dont really have a talent edge over us except at QB (which they dont this game). Plus were at home. It could be a long year again if we cant beat a beaten up Colts team at home.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
great summary. couldn't have said it better.

this really is lined up to be a typical Rams loss snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.. but I have faith in the new regime (y)

TexasRam

Legend
I would like to say if we don't beat the crap out of them then we are in for a
Long season. But openers can often be strange.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
If the system offense of the Raider game shows up, I think we'll be just fine. If not? All bets are off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no excuse for losing the game. We should win by double digit points.

FRO

Legend
Colts are a 1-15 team with TOlzien at QB.
Where does the one win come from? Their team is a 6-10 team with Luck, an elite QB.

If the Rams lose the opener they should forfeit the season. They have to win and win big. The Colts without Luck are as bad if not worse than the Jets.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'll be in attendance.... I need to see some Rams TDs and I need to see a win. Two games last year it was all field goals... and a garbage time TD that I missed because I was trying to beat traffic.

The team needs to go for the jugular from the jump.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We just need to win - nevermind the double digits ..

You don't get extra points for winning by more, but it certainly would be a confidence booster. Indy has no business scoring more than 14-17 points on us. Seeing our offense put up 24-31 points on their defense would give us all confidence. We need to show something.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When's the last time the Rams beat a team they should beat? I honestly can't remember. But yeah, there is no way they should lose this game. And those two things together terrify me.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
WARNING: LONG READ AHEAD, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
Goff- 27/35 284 yards 2 touchdowns

i_like_you_supernatural.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There's no excuse for losing the game. We should win by double digit points.

This^ and it is time we as fans should expect victory and I'm not looking back. Don't turn the ball over, be aggressive and go after the Colts and let them know who's house it is. This is very simple, win and win decisively and regardless of the Colts being without their gunslinger the McVay era will start off with a bang, but if our Quarterback cannot protect the football and the defense looks out of sync, the headlines and social media outlets will read "Same Old Rams." and I for one can no longer stomach this franchise shooting itself in the foot, so....

Rams....34
Colts.....14

Game Balls...Offense...Jared Goff (first win)
Game Balls...Defense....Connor Barwin...Two Sacks & a Forced Fumble.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If both teams play their best - the Rams should win - and fairly easily.

The Rams have beaten themselves many times over the past decade. Let's hope those days are behind us and this new regime finally turns potential wins into wins.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Not a big fan of opening against a Luckless Colts team. If we win, meh, we beat a bad team without Luck and if we lose, the season will feel as if it's over before it begins. I'd much rather Luck be playing so a win wouldn't be fools gold.