Let’s talk contracts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
So as it stands, with our team, I just wanted to go over some numbers coming up.

First and foremost, we need to pay AD, but not QB money, that’s too much for one player not a QB. He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid defensive player though. Let’s say 20mil (Ish) a year. Preferably front loaded to make room for upcoming contracts

Then you have Gurley, I see what Bell has been doing and I don’t like it. Having a dynamic running back is a truly amazing thing to have, but I can’t justify giving him 20+ mil for a player who gains that much wear and tear. I’m curious to see where you guys value him.

Let’s say we trade for OBJ...what kind of contract is enough for him, with rumors he wants QB money as well? I couldn’t justify 20
Mil for him...maybe 15 IMO.

Then you have Goff, if he continues to improve, then he will get upwards of 25+ mil a year, not even a question, and it is necessary.

Peters, if he keeps his head on straight, where is he valued at? 15 mil?

Brockers contract runs out after next year I believe, what’s it going to cost to retain him?

Also, Lamarcus Joyner, safeties seem to not be getting paid, so maybe you can get away with 9-10 mil a year if he continues to be elite?

I understand the rams are going all in on win now mode (which I absolutely love) but on the flip side I can’t help but to think of the short term and long term future.

I suppose we have to continue to draft flawlessly and hope some players are willing to take discounts, and hope our coaches and front office are taking a page out of the pats book and knowing who to keep and who to
Let go...

Just curious on everyone’s thoughts on this, and if it has come across anyone else’s mind as it has mine...

Hopefully we can stagger and front load the contracts in order to make it work so we can continue to have flexibility with future FA and draft classes, my only issue with front loading is players wanting a new contract just a couple years into it...

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Just looking at what kind of money some of the players already on the roster will require:
  • Donald - Something close to Von Miller (6 years 115 mil 70 guaranteed)
  • Gurley - He'll demand to be the second highest paid RB in the NFL (5 years 45 mil 25 guaranteed)
  • Goff - The Garoppolo deal is his likely starting point. (5 years 138 mil 75 guaranteed)
  • Peters - He's going to want off-the-charts CB money. More than Josh Norman (5 year 75 mil 50 guaranteed)
Gurley and Peters stand out as the most likely franchise tag recipients. Gurley due to the risky nature of long term contracts for backs and Peters due to the amount of money he is going to ask for. If they do use the tag on one of them, I'd expect it to be the last year they are with the team. At that point future negotiations seem to start with an annual salary equal to the tag.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We'll just have to enjoy the window while we have it.

Of course, but at the same time we want to build a consistent winner, like the Steelers or the patriots, not a one hit wonder...the years between 04-16 were so rough, it would suck to endure that again

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Just looking at what kind of money some of the players already on the roster will require:
  • Donald - Something close to Von Miller (6 years 115 mil 70 guaranteed)
  • Gurley - He'll demand to be the second highest paid RB in the NFL (5 years 45 mil 25 guaranteed)
  • Goff - The Garoppolo deal is his likely starting point. (5 years 138 mil 75 guaranteed)
  • Peters - He's going to want off-the-charts CB money. More than Josh Norman (5 year 75 mil 50 guaranteed)
Gurley and Peters stand out as the most likely franchise tag recipients. Gurley due to the risky nature of long term contracts for backs and Peters due to the amount of money he is going to ask for. If they do use the tag on one of them, I'd expect it to be the last year they are with the team. At that point future negotiations seem to start with an annual salary equal to the tag.

I appreciate the response and agree, as I said, hopefully some guys are willing to take small discounts to help keep the team together if this works out as planned

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just did the math on another site and if we keep Donald, Peters, Joyner, Gurley, Goff and if added OBJ we're looking at using about $110 million of what the current cap is at $177 million or roughly 62% on those 6 players. Guess it's up to each person if they feel that's fiscally responsible. Then you can add Brockers who's currently about $11 mm, Whitworth at $13mm, Woods and Saffold those 4 take up close to $40 million of the $67 million left over essentially leaving us $27 million for 50 people.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just did the math on another site and if we keep Donald, Peters, Joyner, Gurley, Goff and if added OBJ we're looking at using about $110 million of what the current cap is at $177 million or roughly 62% on those 6 players. Guess it's up to each person if they feel that's fiscally responsible. Then you can add Brockers who's currently about $11 mm, Whitworth at $13mm, Woods and Saffold those 4 take up close to $40 million of the $67 million left over essentially leaving us $27 million for 50 people.

And don't forget to add a bit over a million for the practice squad, and usually a $3-5 million buffer to cover for signing injury replacements during the season, signing bonuses for UDFAs that don't make the squad, etc.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me just finish that thought above off with one final demonstration about how bad the idea is of trading for OBJ and extending him. I've pointed out our top 10 players will essentially take up all but $27 million of our cap, without it going up, that will leave us with 53 people making the league minimum. An NFL player with 1 year experience has a minimum salary of $555,555. If we had 53 of those we'd spend $29,444,415 on just those league minimum guys.

It doesn't work that's a horrible way to manage a teams salary cap.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We'll just have to enjoy the window while we have it.

It’s going to be all about player development. Who is going to step up ?

The Rams need to keep building through the draft. I think you keep the windows open. Look at this off season, as well as last season.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I appreciate the response and agree, as I said, hopefully some guys are willing to take small discounts to help keep the team together if this works out as planned
I hope so too. I think Donald taking the Miller contract or Gurley taking the Freeman contract could be considered taking a bit of a discount since both deals will be a couple year old by the time the Rams guys sign. The scary thing is if any of them insist on breaking the bank. I think Peters is by far the most likely to go that route.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I hope so too. I think Donald taking the Miller contract or Gurley taking the Freeman contract could be considered taking a bit of a discount since both deals will be a couple year old by the time the Rams guys sign. The scary thing is if any of them insist on breaking the bank. I think Peters is by far the most likely to go that route.

Absolutely, I could see that happening.

At the same time, if AD is asking for crazy money I could see them letting him play out his contract then franchising him 2 times...

TexasRam

Legend
Don’t shoot the messenger but this is really how I think it will play out. Mcvay has so much wisdom handed down to him via his GM grandfather, and Kroenke wants to follow the Patriots model of how to allocate funds to positions. Based on that the emphasis for big contracts will focus on the following:

QB
Oline
2 Wr or 1 WR 1 TE
2 CB’s
1 Safety (which is usually a
Cheap position)
DT

Based on that I would expect
The following players paid big:

Goff (extend him early, 30m per)

Free agent LT after Whitworth

C and guards unless the draft yields solid lineman on rookie contracts

Kupp and Woods extended down the road with fair contracts

Donald (25 per over 75 guaranteed)

Peters (or another high priced FA since Peters May wear out his welcome)

Joyner

Talib or a younger FA

Gurley - this will be tough. He needs to come in at a team friendly price or there may be some issue here. Also, will
He stay healthy with all the touches.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK... so what if we continue to rotate some of these Uber talented players, while picking up comp picks and occasionally giving up a first? We keep a few core players, pay fairly big 2nd contracts, and continue to draft well.

KD knows what he can and can’t do under the cap so I’m guessing he is giving the green light to any of these moves.

Can the Rams guarantee AD money that would start after his current contract runs out? In the mean time, we finish this run and groom cheaper replacements for Suh and a couple others?

I’m just wondering if there are far more ways to skin a cat than any of us know.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

This is likely Big Whit’s last year. That puts us at $40M. Also, we can stagger the hits of AD, Gurley and Peters (and OBJ if need be) and then Goff.

It’s not a matter of simple addition.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is likely Big Whit’s last year. That puts us at $40M. Also, we can stagger the hits of AD, Gurley and Peters (and OBJ if need be) and then Goff.

It’s not a matter of simple addition.
I’m using AAV, yes we can stagger them but you’re still taking big hits on different individuals every year. We simply cannot build a solid roster having 10 guys making big money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Or AD taking a million and a half more - not $5-7 mil more than Miller. That still makes him the highest paid defender. As much as I love Gurley, he will have a fair amount of tread on the tires worn off. Goff seems like a fairly grounded guy. He may take a contract that puts him in line with his peers but doesn’t make him one of the highest two.

I’m just thinking that winning AND being paid near the top of your position is the way many of these guys will go. But winning and being part of an organization that keeps itself in that winning mode will have to be part of the equation.

Then those who insist on putting themselves above winning can be traded or told to kick rocks. It’s a team and rarely does one or two players make the team a winner.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If they get rid of Whitworth, then that means the Rams need 4 OL starters for 2019, everybody except the center.

Sometimes you have to keep somebody who is overpaid until you can find a more practical replacement.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they get rid of Whitworth, then that means the Rams need 4 OL starters for 2019, everybody except the center.

Sometimes you have to keep somebody who is overpaid until you can find a more practical replacement.
Absolutely true but that doesn’t mean someone can’t and won’t step up after big Whit is done showing them the ropes. He is someone who seems to be capable and willing to do just that. He knows his legacy is more than just about him. I have seen many posts and mentions that he is coaching as well as demonstrating. What a great acquisition he has been.

Name
Pat
I can't say "A Very-Rams' Christmas (in March!)" hasn't been interesting or fun, but like a lot of you, I'm worrying about when the credit card bill comes due. I know Snead and Demoff are smart guys, but as detailed above, there's no way we can retain all these studs for more than a year or two.

I guess it's the romantic in me, but I loved how the team was developing last year: energetic, boy-genius coach leading a group of young, largely home-grown players coming into their own, supplemented by a few mid-market but critical vet signings. I loved the "We Not Me" ethic, and there didn't seem to be any (obvious) problem children on the team. I really wanted to see McVay and Phillips coach this core group up to the Super Bowl, and they were seemingly progressing in that direction.

Now management seems to have gotten impatient, and resorted to the old-school Yankees' way (or shudder, the late '90s-Redskins' way): the future and money be damned, let's acquire every big-name player available, no matter how much of a colossal d-bag that player might be. Call me a wussy snowflake, but it won't be as much fun for me if the Rams manage to buy their way to a championship, and then the team core breaks apart shortly after.

Talib, Peters, Suh, now maybe OBJ? How many a-holes do we need to sign (and can accomodate), for an obviously short-window Super Bowl run? Why not reward Donald for his consistent excellence before we bring in some shiny short-term rentals? I want to keep Whitworth around as long as he can play; I think his professionalism and play were a huge influence on the whole team. And of course, Gurley and Goff need to be taken care of sooner than later, Joyner, Woods, Kupp, John Johnson...

Obviously, Demoff, Snead et. al are not stupid, turnover is the nature of the modern NFL, and Kroenke wants to sell PSLs at the new stadium, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy with the buying frenzy. I want a championship to be built, rather than bought. I'm curious if anybody else feels the same way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't say "A Very-Rams' Christmas (in March!)" hasn't been interesting or fun, but like a lot of you, I'm worrying about when the credit card bill comes due. I know Snead and Demoff are smart guys, but as detailed above, there's no way we can retain all these studs for more than a year or two.

I guess it's the romantic in me, but I loved how the team was developing last year: energetic, boy-genius coach leading a group of young, largely home-grown players coming into their own, supplemented by a few mid-market but critical vet signings. I loved the "We Not Me" ethic, and there didn't seem to be any (obvious) problem children on the team. I really wanted to see McVay and Phillips coach this core group up to the Super Bowl, and they were seemingly progressing in that direction.

Now management seems to have gotten impatient, and resorted to the old-school Yankees' way (or shudder, the late '90s-Redskins' way): the future and money be damned, let's acquire every big-name player available, no matter how much of a colossal d-bag that player might be. Call me a wussy snowflake, but it won't be as much fun for me if the Rams manage to buy their way to a championship, and then the team core breaks apart shortly after.

Talib, Peters, Suh, now maybe OBJ? How many a-holes do we need to sign (and can accomodate), for an obviously short-window Super Bowl run? Why not reward Donald for his consistent excellence before we bring in some shiny short-term rentals? I want to keep Whitworth around as long as he can play; I think his professionalism and play were a huge influence on the whole team. And of course, Gurley and Goff need to be taken care of sooner than later, Joyner, Woods, Kupp, John Johnson...

Obviously, Demoff, Snead et. al are not stupid, turnover is the nature of the modern NFL, and Kroenke wants to sell PSLs at the new stadium, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy with the buying frenzy. I want a championship to be built, rather than bought. I'm curious if anybody else feels the same way.
I think we probably all have that in the backs of our minds if not the forefront. The thing is that Stan is not known for idiot decisions - the likes of Snyder or even Steinbrenner.

Granted Stan needs to fill seats in the new stadium but he has to do that long term too. He is a very pragmatic businessman. IMO , he will treat this franchise as his crown jewel. He has never undertaken such a venture with all his holdings. This is the big ring for him.

He has been involved in all aspects of these moves. He is Jerruh without trying to be general manager. I feel good.