Let’s talk contracts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Of course, but at the same time we want to build a consistent winner, like the Steelers or the patriots, not a one hit wonder...the years between 04-16 were so rough, it would suck to endure that again

At this point I'm fine with a one hit wonder.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It’s going to be all about player development. Who is going to step up ?

The Rams need to keep building through the draft. I think you keep the windows open. Look at this off season, as well as last season.

Agreed. Our success will be determined by whether we can develop a LT to pair with Goff. But we're all good for this window.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point I'm fine with a one hit wonder.

Building for a one hit wonder can easily fail. There can be an injury at playoff time. An opposing player can have the game of his life. Things happen.

If you build for longevity, with taking advantage of one year advantages when you can, the team is slightly less likely to win in any particular season, but overall may be more likely to win a championship - or even multiple championships

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Building for a one hit wonder can easily fail. There can be an injury at playoff time. An opposing player can have the game of his life. Things happen.

If you build for longevity, with taking advantage of one year advantages when you can, the team is slightly less likely to win in any particular season, but overall may be more likely to win a championship - or even multiple championships

It'll be more like a two hit wonder and then we have to pay everyone and get a new LT.

So let's just enjoy it and pray for a healthy offensive line like we had this year.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If the Rams win the Super Bowl this season, I'll be okay with figuring out what to do with the salary cap in the aftermath.

The Rams would basically have to decide who their core players are, that they feel are essential to keep the train going. That may have to be letting go of good players but drafting well may resolve this issue. That and coaching up players.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'm not concerned about having too many elite players to pay. I'll sleep at night.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I don't see Peters staying for more than two years. I think they traded for him knowing that was his window with the team and obviously Talib won't be around long term.

The way I see it is the front office's view on who will be getting long term deals in the next 2 or 3 years hasn't changed since before all this recent madness. They still need to extend AD, Goff, Gurley and Joyner and that hasn't changed one bit. The thing I like about the Suh signing is its only one year and won't impact on the above contracts too much.

Unlike Suh, trading for OBJ would throw a spanner in the proverbials simply because he has said he won't play without a new contract. He won't settle for $15m per because its less than Sammy "500 yards" Watkins got from KC. An OBJ trade would mess up future deals in my view and I'm surprised the Rams trading for him is being so seriously considered. I trust McVay to make the O work with what they currently have in house. He had his fun last off season and its Wade's turn this year.

TexasRam

Legend
Just did the math on another site and if we keep Donald, Peters, Joyner, Gurley, Goff and if added OBJ we're looking at using about $110 million of what the current cap is at $177 million or roughly 62% on those 6 players. Guess it's up to each person if they feel that's fiscally responsible. Then you can add Brockers who's currently about $11 mm, Whitworth at $13mm, Woods and Saffold those 4 take up close to $40 million of the $67 million left over essentially leaving us $27 million for 50 people.

Yea but..what If u had 40 6th Rounders

See it’s all making sense now:LOL:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Vikings are going to find themselves in this situation very very soon. They just paid Cousins his asinine contract. They will have to pay both their WR,s, Barr, the two or three DB’s just to name a few. They have a short window.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
we're looking at using about $110 million of what the current cap is at $177 million or roughly 62% on those 6 players. Guess it's up to each person if they feel that's fiscally responsible.
Oh shit....hell no...

side note, the OP called someone "elite"......:ROFLMAO::rolllaugh:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think we probably all have that in the backs of our minds if not the forefront. The thing is that Stan is not known for idiot decisions - the likes of Snyder or even Steinbrenner.

Granted Stan needs to fill seats in the new stadium but he has to do that long term too. He is a very pragmatic businessman. IMO , he will treat this franchise as his crown jewel. He has never undertaken such a venture with all his holdings. This is the big ring for him.

He has been involved in all aspects of these moves. He is Jerruh without trying to be general manager. I feel good.
And it has been reported that the Rams will be 100 Million under theCap in 2019 so I'm not worried about what we can or can't afford!! JMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or AD taking a million and a half more - not $5-7 mil more than Miller. That still makes him the highest paid defender. As much as I love Gurley, he will have a fair amount of tread on the tires worn off. Goff seems like a fairly grounded guy. He may take a contract that puts him in line with his peers but doesn’t make him one of the highest two.

Honestly 503... IF he was willing to do that he'd probably be signed already. He's going to raise the F out of the bar.

I don't see Peters staying for more than two years. I think they traded for him knowing that was his window with the team and obviously Talib won't be around long term.

Agreed. Peters is a two year rental due to them painting themselves in a corner (i.e. letting their homegrown talent go). He's also an upgrade, so that helps a lot, but going that route gives you half the control you'd have otherwise in hitting on said pick/s. So it's not a desired way to build a roster by any means. But no way they pay Peters long term UNLESS he grows up a lot in the next couple years, which of course is possible, I'm just not going to expect it.

So right now I consider him a rental, and I'm fine with how it went down because he knows he's gotta produce at a high level to get his big payday. I just wouldn't be the guy who gives it to him.

Re: the contracts in general, the biggest issue is how many landmines we have in terms of guys coming up to be paid. So once again this offseason has moved us past "Les has a lot to prove" and into the range of "Kevin has a lot to prove."

They really need to get Donald locked up. I hoped it would happen by now, given the way they've cleared cap space. That one move will do a lot for myself in terms of making me feel better about Kevin being the right guy to manage a cap for a winning organization. It's going to be a lot more challenging than balancing the cap for an organization that's a bottom feeder. But up until the dominoes start falling, I remain concerned. You can bring in all the talent you want, but in order to sustain success you have to be able to lock them up.

Turducken

Starter
So as it stands, with our team, I just wanted to go over some numbers coming up.

First and foremost, we need to pay AD, but not QB money, that’s too much for one player not a QB. He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid defensive player though. Let’s say 20mil (Ish) a year. Preferably front loaded to make room for upcoming contracts

Then you have Gurley, I see what Bell has been doing and I don’t like it. Having a dynamic running back is a truly amazing thing to have, but I can’t justify giving him 20+ mil for a player who gains that much wear and tear. I’m curious to see where you guys value him.

Let’s say we trade for OBJ...what kind of contract is enough for him, with rumors he wants QB money as well? I couldn’t justify 20
Mil for him...maybe 15 IMO.

Then you have Goff, if he continues to improve, then he will get upwards of 25+ mil a year, not even a question, and it is necessary.

Peters, if he keeps his head on straight, where is he valued at? 15 mil?

Brockers contract runs out after next year I believe, what’s it going to cost to retain him?

Also, Lamarcus Joyner, safeties seem to not be getting paid, so maybe you can get away with 9-10 mil a year if he continues to be elite?

I understand the rams are going all in on win now mode (which I absolutely love) but on the flip side I can’t help but to think of the short term and long term future.

I suppose we have to continue to draft flawlessly and hope some players are willing to take discounts, and hope our coaches and front office are taking a page out of the pats book and knowing who to keep and who to
Let go...

Just curious on everyone’s thoughts on this, and if it has come across anyone else’s mind as it has mine...

Hopefully we can stagger and front load the contracts in order to make it work so we can continue to have flexibility with future FA and draft classes, my only issue with front loading is players wanting a new contract just a couple years into it...
Every time I run through these numbers I come to the conclusion that either Gurley or Goff will draw the short straw (5th yr option plus 1 or 2 franchise tags). Tagging Gurley probably makes more sense long term (avoiding a rebuild), but tagging Goff might keep the SB window open a little longer. My biggest concern with chasing OBJ is that we'll probably have to tag Gurley twice. After that, he'd be a 28 year old RB with limited options (think DeMarco Murray 2 years ago). I think Gurley would have to play a potential tagging like Leveon is doing right now (or leave $15mil in career earnings on the table). Could get ugly.