Let’s slot the NFC North Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is how they finished in 2021;

A8536800-058E-428E-9A13-474D87204DAF.png

Is Green Bay still the kings of this division? Or… with losing Adams and an aging Rodgers are they due to step back?

Lots of chat on ROD about the Lions already;

Is Justin Fields and a coaching change the answer in Chicago?

Are the Vikings poised to take over? KoC changes their offense and they added to their D this off-season.

Where do you see this division and it’s teams?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A case for the Vikings;

STORY LINK

Can the Vikings Be NFL's Offensive Juggernaut Under Kevin O'Connell in 2022?​

The Minnesota Vikings' motto for 2022 should be: Spread them out and dice them up. With Kirk Cousins as the skilled chef behind center, they have the personnel to field a top-five scoring offense.

No, the Vikings didn't overhaul their personnel with splashy free-agent additions or use high draft picks on skill players. They didn't need a makeover on this side of the ball. Instead, new general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah hired head coach Kevin O'Connell, who can unlock and better utilize the team's talent in a modernized scheme.

Perhaps that's the best-case scenario in the minds of Minnesota fans, but wide receiver Justin Jefferson highlighted the need for change, per USA Today's Jori Epstein: "We had an old-style offense last year. It's 2022. You get into a new age and move to a new generation. Adding new things to the offense definitely allows us to be more comfortable with the offense and work in different areas of the fields."

Jefferson's blunt critique of the Vikings' approach under former head coach Mike Zimmer speaks volumes. Jefferson said the offense will be "less predictable" by changing tempo and using pre-snap window dressing to keep defenders on their toes.

In Epstein's report, O'Connell, who intends to call plays, emphasized "being aggressive on your terms" and spreading out defenses:

"For so long the game kind of became this condensed game where everybody was building things, the marriage of the run and the pass. But as times kind of moved forward, I think spreading the field out, not playing the game in a phone booth has been a productive thing for some offenses. Putting the game in the quarterback's hands a little more, trying to run some premier plays vs. premier looks. And really, when in doubt, trust space-rhythm-timing of offenses to hold you true to your core and what you're trying to get accomplished."

Though Cousins took a lot of the blame for the Vikings' shortcomings and underwhelming seasons in recent years, Minnesota fielded a top-10 scoring offense only twice (2017 and 2019) in eight years under the defensive-minded Zimmer. Even in those campaigns, the ground game was a staple, ranking seventh and sixth in yards with passing games that ranked 21st and 30th in attempts.

Here's a thought: Maybe we haven't seen the best of Cousins.

Jefferson expects Minnesota to pivot from a run-heavy offense, which may bode well for the three-time Pro Bowl signal-caller.

"Our offensive style, it's not a run-first offense anymore," Jefferson said on NFL Total Access (h/t NFL.com's Kevin Patra). "Just us being able to put different people in different positions and distribute the ball, really. I'm so excited in this offense. Us just being in OTAs, learning the plays, going through it with our defense and stuff."

Last year, Minnesota had balance, ranking 11th in pass attempts and 16th in carries, but the team listed 27th and eighth in 2020. O'Connell may put more on Cousins' shoulders as he looks to ramp up the urgency and keep pace with the league's top-scoring units.

You'll notice the Vikings have similarities with the top five scoring offenses from 2021.

Last year, the Dallas Cowboys accumulated the most points and yards. They've transitioned from a run-heavy offense that featured Ezekiel Elliott, who led the league in carries for two of his first three campaigns, to a Dak Prescott-led unit.

In 2021, Prescott ranked ninth in pass attempts, and the Cowboys listed sixth (Prescott missed one game). They finished 12th in carries. Despite the combination of Elliott and emerging running back Tony Pollard, Dallas put a lot on Prescott, who is playing on a contract that averages $40 million per year. In 2022, Prescott won't have star wideout Amari Cooper, whom the team traded to the Cleveland Browns.

This offseason, the Vikings signed Cousins to a one-year extension, which moved him to eighth with Russell Wilson on the average annual value scale among signal-callers at $35 million, per Over the Cap. They showed confidence he will operate at a high level in O'Connell's offense.

Though Minnesota has a three-time Pro Bowl running back in Dalvin Cook, it could further shift away from the ground game. If that's the case, Cousins could post career numbers in 2022.

The Vikes don't have a generational talent comparable to Tom Brady, who led the league's No. 2 scoring offense last year, but they have just as many playmakers as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did.

In a pass-heavy scheme, Brady led the league in yards (5,316) and touchdowns (43) with the help of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski and Leonard Fournette.

The Buccaneers offense may take a step back without Brown and Gronkowski, who retired. And Godwin is recovering from a torn ACL.

With O'Connell's philosophy, Cousins can toss 40 or more touchdown passes with Jefferson, Cook and two-time Pro Bowl wideout Adam Thielen as his primary targets. If tight end Irv Smith Jr. bounces back after he missed 2021 with a torn meniscus and wide receiver K.J. Osborn continues to blossom after he caught 50 passes for 655 yards and seven touchdowns last season, Cousins will have more than enough options.

O'Connell's ability to elevate Cousins could compare to former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll's impact on Josh Allen.

Daboll needed three seasons to mold Allen into a star, and he has special physical traits with his strong arm and mobility, but O'Connell has a more polished product in Cousins, a full-time starter for seven years.

By the way, Cousins' production—in what Jefferson called an outdated offense—lines up with Allen's numbers over the last two years.

Allen: 4,544 passing yards, 37 TD, 10 INT, 69.2 completion rate
Cousins: 4,265 passing yards, 35 TD, 13 INT, 67.6 completion rate

Allen: 4,407 passing yards, 36 TD, 15 INT, 63.3 completion rate
Cousins: 4,221 passing yards, 33 TD, 7 INT, 66.3 completion rate
If Cousins is a fit in O'Connell's system, he could eclipse Allen's totals.

A team's ability to appropriately match its play-caller and signal-caller can make a huge difference. Don't be surprised if the Bills' third-ranked scoring offense and particularly Allen regress following Daboll's departure for the New York Giants' head coaching job.

Keep in mind that as the quarterbacks coach for Washington, O'Connell worked with Cousins in 2017. They have familiarity to speed up the jelling process.

In terms of accolades, the Vikings' playmakers don't match up with the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 personnel, which featured quarterback Patrick Mahomes, wideout Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce, who have seven All-Pro seasons among them.

However, like Kansas City, Minnesota can get creative with its personnel packages and usage.

The Chiefs targeted Hill for big plays and used him in space. Kelce attacked the middle of the field and the seams. Mahomes built a rapport with running back Darrel Williams, who caught 47 passes for 452 yards and two touchdowns.

Without Hill, the Chiefs' fourth-ranked scoring offense could take a step back, leaving a spot open for the Vikings.

O'Connell has a versatile trio of wide receivers. He can use Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn out wide or in the slot. Cook can line up on the outside and beat linebackers in one-on-one situations. Smith can put additional pressure on second-level defenders and safeties. Minnesota can attack all three levels of the field.

Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert has garnered the spotlight in a high-powered offense that ranked fifth in scoring last year, and rightfully so. With that said, you have to acknowledge his pass-catching trio, which features a dynamic wide receiver duo in Keenan Allen and Mike Williams along with running back Austin Ekeler.

We can easily draw comparisons between the Chargers' and Vikings' key skill players. Like Los Angeles, Minnesota has one of the league's most productive wide receiver tandems. Jefferson is a budding star, and though Thielen will turn 32 years old in August, he has 24 touchdowns since 2020. Ekeler and Cook stand on equal ground as two of the top dual-threat running backs in the game.

What did last year's top-five scoring offenses have or do between the lines that the Vikings cannot replicate?

With a fresh outlook under O'Connell, the Minnesota offense matches up well with those units that routinely went up and down the field.

Adofo-Mensah hired O'Connell and possibly handed him the keys to unlock a juggernaut.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tough call The Packers still have a good defense. They still have Rogers and a running game. They know how to defend O’Connel’s offense.

O’Connrl’s a first year coach and the Vikings defense is not at its peak like it was a few years ago.

The Lions are moving up

The Bears have lost a lot of talent.

Packers
Viking
Lions
Bears

nighttrain

Legend
Lions a dark horse, with new talent at WR they just might jump Vikes.
I am a JG advocate, but admit Stafford the better QB.

for now.........
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Minnesota Vikings...I believe in Kevin O'Connell & the offensive talent on the Vikings Dalvin Cook will be the difference.
  2. Green Bay Packers...Losing Adams too much to overcome plus Aaron Rodgers needs a shave & a haircut.
  3. Detroit Lions...Trending upwards, if Goff plays well, the Lions could contend for postseason.
  4. Chicago Bears...Matt Eberflus, say it again, E-ber-flus, no matter how you say it or spell it the Bears are last.

fearsomefour

Legend
Love the Vikings now that the anchor of Zimmer is gone.
He was Fisher 2.0.
Could take a sub par talented roster and go 7-9. Could take an extremely talented roster and go 8-8.
Picking to best the Packers and win the NFC North.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Not sure the Cowboys are who you want to be compared to. Talented WRs, talented rbs, kick ass defense, and yet they weren’t able to put it together. Was it Dak or McCarthy holding them back? Either way, not a great situation. The Vikes might be in a similar situation, a lot of talent but a qb who has underwhelmed and a brand new head coach with no track record.
People are complaining about the Vikes old offense but maybe they were trying to cover up for what Cousins is lacking.
The Rams were one of the most run heavy teams in the league but when they tried to pivot after the SB loss they discovered they were lacking at qb. Interestingly, the niners are in a similar situation but are trying to zig when everyone else is zagging, with running backs at wr and qb too. Which just might work since many linebackers these days are run and chase, if there are any.
Bottom line is can Cousins break into the big time qbs club, I would’ve said no based on his history but there’s this other guy from last year who everyone doubted…

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure the Cowboys are who you want to be compared to. Talented WRs, talented rbs, kick ass defense, and yet they weren’t able to put it together. Was it Dak or McCarthy holding them back? Either way, not a great situation. The Vikes might be in a similar situation, a lot of talent but a qb who has underwhelmed and a brand new head coach with no track record.
People are complaining about the Vikes old offense but maybe they were trying to cover up for what Cousins is lacking.
The Rams were one of the most run heavy teams in the league but when they tried to pivot after the SB loss they discovered they were lacking at qb. Interestingly, the niners are in a similar situation but are trying to zig when everyone else is zagging, with running backs at wr and qb too. Which just might work since many linebackers these days are run and chase, if there are any.
Bottom line is can Cousins break into the big time qbs club, I would’ve said no based on his history but there’s this other guy from last year who everyone doubted…

I find it interesting the perception difference between Cousins and Goff.

Goff tends to get lumped with the bottom 20, where Cousins gets ranked higher for some reason.

To me, they are very similar QB's. You can win with both. Both have solid arms and good accuracy. Both navigate the pocket, but neither is a scrambler. Both are categorized as Game Managers.

Statistically, they line up very similarly too. It's just odd that Cousins is given more rope than Goff. None of the "experts" are calling for the Vikings to upgrade at QB... but if they are with Goff, then why not Cousins?

Win Loss Record:
Cousins 59-59-2
Goff 45-37-1

Ave Yards per Game:
Cousins 260
Goff 258

TD to INT Ratio:
Cousins 2.2
Goff 2.2

QB Rating:
Cousins 98.6
Goff 91.5

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I find it interesting the perception difference between Cousins and Goff.

Goff tends to get lumped with the bottom 20, where Cousins gets ranked higher for some reason.

To me, they are very similar QB's. You can win with both. Both have solid arms and good accuracy. Both navigate the pocket, but neither is a scrambler. Both are categorized as Game Managers.

Statistically, they line up very similarly too. It's just odd that Cousins is given more rope than Goff. None of the "experts" are calling for the Vikings to upgrade at QB... but if they are with Goff, then why not Cousins?
It will be the first time in Minnesota that Cousins has an Offensive Coach and not only an Offensive Coach, but one that actually played QB in the NFL. So IMO, that will be a huge plus for him.

Vikings have a ton of talent with Cook, Jefferson, Thielen etc. With Mike Zimmer, he was very stubborn in his ways, O'Connell will be a breath of fresh air, that will reinvigorate the offense overall. I look for that offense to put up big numbers and Cousins to have his best year of his career.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think the Vikings are poised to take over, just not sure they get it done the first year in the new system.

Hard to bet against the 2 time defending MVP but, they are hampered by not having a real owner to drive the franchise.

Chicago and Detroit are a toss up for last place. Detroit seems to have had a better off-season, so far.

Vikings
Packers
Lions
Bears

Flint

Pro Bowler
I can imagine smug Aaron at his condescending best if they come back to the pack this year.

Tano

Legend
It will be the first time in Minnesota that Cousins has an Offensive Coach and not only an Offensive Coach, but one that actually played QB in the NFL. So IMO, that will be a huge plus for him.

Vikings have a ton of talent with Cook, Jefferson, Thielen etc. With Mike Zimmer, he was very stubborn in his ways, O'Connell will be a breath of fresh air, that will reinvigorate the offense overall. I look for that offense to put up big numbers and Cousins to have his best year of his career.
If you look at Cousin's stats the majority came after they were down by 10 or more points.

He could be said to be like Stat Padford in that respect when Matt was called that with the lions.

With a new OC will he become a Matt Stafford clone to lead Vikings to wins.

I have my doubts. He has never been a true winner in my book. We shall see.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you look at Cousin's stats the majority came after they were down by 10 or more points.

He could be said to be like Stat Padford in that respect when Matt was called that with the lions.

With a new OC will he become a Matt Stafford clone to lead Vikings to wins.

I have my doubts. He has never been a true winner in my book. We shall see.
I was thinking that, in fact, I was conversing with a colleague at work yesterday and he's a Viking fan and I did say, "People felt that about Stafford." I don't think Cousins is as good as Stafford, but I do think he's ready for a career year IMHO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was thinking that, in fact, I was conversing with a colleague at work yesterday and he's a Viking fan and I did say, "People felt that about Stafford." I don't think Cousins is as good as Stafford, but I do think he's ready for a career year IMHO.
He has excellent weapons and now an offense he has been at his best in. Plus he has a ground game.

I do think he is somewhat play action dependent but yes I agree this will be good for him.

Packers used to have the best weapons but if Thielen bounces back like I figure he will then the Vikes are in that conversation for sure.

Bears will get defensive hustle from their new head coach but not a big fan of Eberflus or their roster. Lions should jump them, as their roster is looking nice and their head coach is better I think.

So I'd go Packers > Vikes > Lions > Bears with the top two being playoff teams. If I had faith in Goff the Lions would look like a playoff team but I figure they miss the cut.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Is Justin Fields and a coaching change the answer in Chicago?

Unfortunately for Fields who was sacked 36 times while only playing 12 games , The Bears thought the back end of the defense
was more important than helping Fields

They took a CB and a Safety with their 2 second round picks ,
and with no serious attempt to help the Oline or Receiving core
Fields can look forward to even worse talent around him than he had last year.

I expect the Bears to flip places with the Lions in the standings. One reason is that Mr Brad Holmes
is building a fortress around JG.
And we all know when given time Goff can slice and dice a defense.

Would be nice to see Lions steal 1 from the pack.

Either way. BIG shout out to Holmes , who IMO is doing a hell of a job in building a team the right way thus far.

1. Packers
2. Vikings
3. Lions
4. Bears

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm going on a limb:

Packers
Lions
Vikings
Bears

I know the Packers have no wide receivers worth mentioning, but they still have Aaron Rodgers and a good defense.

I think the Lions make a huge jump. Their defense, while young, looks impressive; Hutchinson, McNeill, Onwuzurike, and Paschal are an impressive young D-line, and they have a solid secondary (I think Okudah makes a huge jump, and Melifonwu and Oruwariye are good young corners as well.) They also have a damn good offensive line, and adding Williams to a receiving corps that includes Hockenson and Amon-Ra St. Brown will give it a boost. Swift is a good running back as well, and Goff has proven that you can at least win with him.

The Vikings have Justin Jefferson, an aging Adam Thielen and nothing else at receiver, and their defense is aging (and I don't trust their secondary.)

The Bears need help everywhere, and I don't trust their head coach; he was awful with Mizzou.