Let’s get crazy! A trade offer for Manziel perhaps?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I can think of at least 4 QBs in next year's draft class that I'd rather have.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If we're going that direction, might as well reach out to Washington and see if we can snag RGIII for a first round pick. :LOL:
(BTW I'm serious)

I must disagree with all three points.
1. Manziel has been anything but accurate thus far in the NFL and isn't an extremely accurate QB. His poor mechanics lead to his scattershot accuracy on short and intermediate throws.

2. Disagree again. Manziel is heavily reliant on his legs to buy time because he isn't a quick decision maker. In college, he often looked to his primary WR and maybe his secondary option and then tried to scramble. He rarely ever found his check-down target or third progression. That doesn't work in the NFL. Kaepernick is one of the few guys that gets away with it because of the talent he plays with and because he's a far superior physical talent to Manziel.

Finally, in making this trade, you have to consider the opportunity cost. We're not just acquiring Manziel, we're giving up a first round pick that could possibly be our QB of the future. So if Manziel doesn't pan out, you just set yourself back at least another 2-3 years.

I'm not attempting to trade for another injury prone QB though.

We need Manziel to get caught snorting yo off a naked midgets head at a Halloween party or something first though. This way we don't have to give up our 1st rounder to get him. Bring in another O coordinator, capable of dumbing down the playbook for Johnny if need be. Then resign Sam to an incentive based contract.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So I realize I am going to be tarred and feathered for even suggesting such nonsense. Further, I concede that it is unlikely the Browns would jump at the trade offer I am about to suggest. However, I don’t care, as I am desperate to have some hope with a team that has so many other pieces in place and whether it’s Manziel, Bridgewater, or some other QB the thought of trading for help is attractive to me right now. Anyway, here we go…

Offer our first round pick next year to the Browns for Manziel.

Now, my immediate thought is that they would say no. But then again, I am not so sure that is the case. The Rams’ projected pick right now is going to be very, very high. The Browns, meanwhile, are very happy with Hoyer, and have struggled at times handling some of the very minor stories that have cropped up with Johnny Manziel. The thought of having two first round picks next year plus getting rid of the distraction of Johnny Football may be very tempting to them, particularly a high pick that they probably expect the Rams to have. Anyway, for the sake of discussion let’s assume they consider it.

My rationale for making this suggestion is as follows:

- Fisher is going to find a way to get enough wins to remove the Rams from the top 3 pick range. This team will not pick in the top ten, despite not having a QB. They would still have the rest of their picks to utilize with what is already a young and talented team. And it’s not like all these first round picks are translating into wins anyway.

- Fish is extremely good at handling the fringe type players who have a bit of a wild streak. He would be a great head coach for JM and would help him grow up as he learns the game.

- The Rams had at least one scout reportedly selling JM, so my assumption is they have a healthy respect for his skill set. Plus, Fish has also made positive comments about him prior to their preseason matchup.

- The offense has two large receivers who can highpoint and catch contested balls in Britt and Quick, and JM is very, very good at putting the ball up to his receivers and trusting them to make the play. That anticipation is one of his best assets.

- Manziel is also extremely accurate in his ball placement, along with a career high-60’s percentile completion percentage rate which is something that Fisher values greatly, given his continued comments with Bradford’s accuracy.

- The OL would be helped greatly by adding a mobile QB behind them. JM would give the Rams’ offense an unpredictable element that would extend drives and he would have no problem going off-script when a WR tells him a CB is playing him tight and disregarding the go route, or whatever, and making a “huddle adjustment” on Schotty.

- JM has very good quickness of decision making. He just operates mentally a tick faster than everyone else, which is the primary reason why I believe he is going to succeed in the NFL as a QB.

- He is cocky, and has the kind of swagger and confidence I would love to see permeate this craptastic offense of ours. Our offense lacks heart in my estimation. JM could go a long ways towards fixing that as he comes into his own at this level.

- His cap number is extremely favorable, and the Rams could move forward with a QB who brings many of the same elements you see with division leaders and SB champion Seattle, having him under contract and not needing to panic next year and overpay for a vet or overpay in picks to move up in the draft for a QB.

Lastly, I know many have a strong dislike for JM. I know he would take some time to be able to run the full offense. But the guy isn’t stupid, and at this point I’d take him reading half the field, or him running more simplistic plays off of play action and improvising when necessary, over what we have going on at QB.
Whether it’s JM or another QB who is currently on another team’s roster, a trade is something I hope Snead is considering, or even actively working.

You must be joking..............I hope.

Five years from now, Manziel is going to be doing color commentary for Texas A&M football games.
o_O

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not attempting to trade for another injury prone QB though.

With RGIII's talent? I'd take the chance. I think Cignetti and Schotty did a really good job with Sam's mechanics and could do a lot for RGIII. Plus, maybe a trade would humble him a bit or Fisher could get through to him. Regardless, think he has the talent to be worth it. Still think he has the ability to be great...if he reigns in his ego, dedicates himself to the technical side of his game and works on his game mentally as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If we're going that direction, might as well reach out to Washington and see if we can snag RGIII for a first round pick. :LOL:
(BTW I'm serious)

I must disagree with all three points.
1. Manziel has been anything but accurate thus far in the NFL and isn't an extremely accurate QB. His poor mechanics lead to his scattershot accuracy on short and intermediate throws.

2. Disagree again. Manziel is heavily reliant on his legs to buy time because he isn't a quick decision maker. In college, he often looked to his primary WR and maybe his secondary option and then tried to scramble. He rarely ever found his check-down target or third progression. That doesn't work in the NFL. Kaepernick is one of the few guys that gets away with it because of the talent he plays with and because he's a far superior physical talent to Manziel.

Finally, in making this trade, you have to consider the opportunity cost. We're not just acquiring Manziel, we're giving up a first round pick that could possibly be our QB of the future. So if Manziel doesn't pan out, you just set yourself back at least another 2-3 years.

I think RG3 actually makes this team do really well. I still am a firm believe that Schotty needs to go for our team to have any hopes of making the post season. Either that, or he needs to scrap his whole philosophy.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
With RGIII's talent? I'd take the chance. I think Cignetti and Schotty did a really good job with Sam's mechanics and could do a lot for RGIII. Plus, maybe a trade would humble him a bit or Fisher could get through to him. Regardless, think he has the talent to be worth it. Still think he has the ability to be great...if he reigns in his ego, dedicates himself to the technical side of his game and works on his game mentally as well.

I have no problem with his talent or ability, it's his knees. He still plays wrecklessly too, but that's a big part of his game. Shit, he has blatenly admitted he doesn't know how to slide. Idk about coach Cig, but naybe we could bring in Jose Oquendo and all his problems would be solved. Who knows?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think RG3 actually makes this team do really well. I still am a firm believe that Schotty needs to go for our team to have any hopes of making the post season. Either that, or he needs to scrap his whole philosophy.

I don't think Schotty is the big bad wolf he's made out to be. Our offense was working efficiently when we found our identity last year with Sam. He managed to get decent production in New York despite Mark Sanchez. Schotty isn't Mike Martz but he's not Pat Shurmur either. He's a solid enough OC. Could he do better? Absolutely. I could give you a decent sized lists of things I wish I'd see more of. But the guy isn't keeping this team from being successful. That's my opinion, at least.

I have no problem with his talent or ability, it's his knees. He still plays wrecklessly too, but that's a big part of his game. crap, he has blatenly admitted he doesn't know how to slide. Idk about coach Cig, but naybe we could bring in Jose Oquendo and all his problems would be solved. Who knows?

The recklessness bothers me more than the knee.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So I realize I am going to be tarred and feathered for even suggesting such nonsense. Further, I concede that it is unlikely the Browns would jump at the trade offer I am about to suggest. However, I don’t care, as I am desperate to have some hope with a team that has so many other pieces in place and whether it’s Manziel, Bridgewater, or some other QB the thought of trading for help is attractive to me right now. Anyway, here we go…

Offer our first round pick next year to the Browns for Manziel.

Now, my immediate thought is that they would say no. But then again, I am not so sure that is the case. The Rams’ projected pick right now is going to be very, very high. The Browns, meanwhile, are very happy with Hoyer, and have struggled at times handling some of the very minor stories that have cropped up with Johnny Manziel. The thought of having two first round picks next year plus getting rid of the distraction of Johnny Football may be very tempting to them, particularly a high pick that they probably expect the Rams to have. Anyway, for the sake of discussion let’s assume they consider it.

My rationale for making this suggestion is as follows:

- Fisher is going to find a way to get enough wins to remove the Rams from the top 3 pick range. This team will not pick in the top ten, despite not having a QB. They would still have the rest of their picks to utilize with what is already a young and talented team. And it’s not like all these first round picks are translating into wins anyway.

- Fish is extremely good at handling the fringe type players who have a bit of a wild streak. He would be a great head coach for JM and would help him grow up as he learns the game.

- The Rams had at least one scout reportedly selling JM, so my assumption is they have a healthy respect for his skill set. Plus, Fish has also made positive comments about him prior to their preseason matchup.

- The offense has two large receivers who can highpoint and catch contested balls in Britt and Quick, and JM is very, very good at putting the ball up to his receivers and trusting them to make the play. That anticipation is one of his best assets.

- Manziel is also extremely accurate in his ball placement, along with a career high-60’s percentile completion percentage rate which is something that Fisher values greatly, given his continued comments with Bradford’s accuracy.

- The OL would be helped greatly by adding a mobile QB behind them. JM would give the Rams’ offense an unpredictable element that would extend drives and he would have no problem going off-script when a WR tells him a CB is playing him tight and disregarding the go route, or whatever, and making a “huddle adjustment” on Schotty.

- JM has very good quickness of decision making. He just operates mentally a tick faster than everyone else, which is the primary reason why I believe he is going to succeed in the NFL as a QB.

- He is cocky, and has the kind of swagger and confidence I would love to see permeate this craptastic offense of ours. Our offense lacks heart in my estimation. JM could go a long ways towards fixing that as he comes into his own at this level.

- His cap number is extremely favorable, and the Rams could move forward with a QB who brings many of the same elements you see with division leaders and SB champion Seattle, having him under contract and not needing to panic next year and overpay for a vet or overpay in picks to move up in the draft for a QB.

Lastly, I know many have a strong dislike for JM. I know he would take some time to be able to run the full offense. But the guy isn’t stupid, and at this point I’d take him reading half the field, or him running more simplistic plays off of play action and improvising when necessary, over what we have going on at QB.
Whether it’s JM or another QB who is currently on another team’s roster, a trade is something I hope Snead is considering, or even actively working.

Not for the rams, but in FF I'll trade you Ray Rice for Manziel.

ausmurp

Starter
O would rather have Hoyer and we could get him for far less. 3rd or 4th rd pick prob...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Schotty is the big bad wolf he's made out to be. Our offense was working efficiently when we found our identity last year with Sam. He managed to get decent production in New York despite Mark Sanchez. Schotty isn't Mike Martz but he's not Pat Shurmur either. He's a solid enough OC. Could he do better? Absolutely. I could give you a decent sized lists of things I wish I'd see more of. But the guy isn't keeping this team from being successful. That's my opinion, at least.

I'd take Shurmer back right now in a second

On Manziel, is Johnny St Louis trademarked?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
gallery_1_209_1200631.gif

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

There will always be that list of things you want from Schoty but you'll never see them. We all want to see some nicely drawn up Tavon plays, but at this rate...the kid is going to languish on this squad catching punts, running 10 yard curls, and running traps out of the backfield. Wouldn't you rather have someone that can utilize all we have in a more creative way? 3 years of this is enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There will always be that list of things you want from Schoty but you'll never see them. We all want to see some nicely drawn up Tavon plays, but at this rate...the kid is going to languish on this squad catching punts, running 10 yard curls, and running traps out of the backfield. Wouldn't you rather have someone that can utilize all we have in a more creative way? 3 years of this is enough.

Well, I don't think he's done so poorly that he deserves to be fired. The back to back runs to Tavon on Sunday were nicely drawn up.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Well, I don't think he's done so poorly that he deserves to be fired. The back to back runs to Tavon on Sunday were nicely drawn up.

Do you really want to hitch your wagon to Schotty for any longer than we have? We should get out while we can with him, and the best time would be IF we draft a new QB. Although, I don't think it would really hurt Sam if we extended him and had a new OC, either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you really want to hitch your wagon to Schotty for any longer than we have? We should get out while we can with him, and the best time would be IF we draft a new QB. Although, I don't think it would really hurt Sam if we extended him and had a new OC, either.

Yea, I'm fine with it. You might do better. You might do worse. Schotty is basically the Alex Smith of OCs. But he's not costing us $17 million a year. :LOL: