Lets Deal With Fan Overconfidence, Fallacy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m honestly confused what this thread is about:laugh1:
Page one of this thread:
"This wasn’t my point. My point was, and is, whether I express overconfidence or perceived proper humility, it doesn’t have any effect on the game itself. There is no bad juju created by my attitude, one way or the other."

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Page one of this thread:
"This wasn’t my point. My point was, and is, whether I express overconfidence or perceived proper humility, it doesn’t have any effect on the game itself. There is no bad juju created by my attitude, one way or the other."
Yeah I always found it funny when fans think enough of themselves to think their words impact the games outcome.

I love when people get pumped after a win and there’s always that one fan that’s like “we can’t overlook theese next few games they might be trap games” as if one of us saying easy win means the team wont prepare :laugh1:….Like…okay thanks Phil but I’m gonna go back to being a project manager 5 days this week watch 0 game film, do 0 walkthroughs, and 0 game planning, just like last week…let me know how not overlooking the Giants is going for you.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Page one of this thread:
You mean I can ware any color under ware and it won't affect the game? That doesn't sound right.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeah I always found it funny when fans think enough of themselves to think their words impact the games outcome.

I love when people get pumped after a win and there’s always that one fan that’s like “we can’t overlook theese next few games they might be trap games” as if one of us saying easy win means the team wont prepare :laugh1:….Like…okay thanks Phil but I’m gonna go back to being a project manager 5 days this week watch 0 game film, do 0 walkthroughs, and 0 game planning, just like last week…let me know how not overlooking the Giants is going for you.
In that context I think fans, when we say we, mean the team can't over look the next game. When I talk about my Rams I use we quite often. I know I am not on the team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought it was about how we like to root for our team and it has no affect on the out come. It is just what we do.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In that context I think fans, when we say we, mean the team can't over look the next game. When I talk about my Rams I use we quite often. I know I am not on the team.
I say we too nothing wrong with it. I just think certain times it’s funny when people act as if we as fans can overlook anything

RamsFan4Life

Starter
I don’t care what you say …….

at half time I will change from my Steven Jackson jersey to my Aaron Donald jersey, grab a fresh beer and a snack, just like every other game watched from home for a while.

and if ANYONE tries to stop me…..

I will kill you

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I'm overconfident, which I freely admit. Part of it is for show and a subtle troll against the idea that my overconfidence has any effect on the game at all. I fully believe the Rams are about to destroy, and should destroy the NY football Giants. Measuring the talent on both sides and thinking of both the Rams and the Giants playing to their full potential, this should be no contest. Every West Coast team deals with travel and away crowds and later weather problems. A team can be tired or flat (look at the Cardinals game).

When I talk about the assbeating we should deal to the Gigantes, I always get the warning of last year's hubris over the Jets game. As you remember, we lost to the winless Jets 23-20. This was at home at empty SoFi and the Rams should have won. BUT. This was not a good game for Jared Goff and the offense. If you are a believer in QBR, Goff's was 16.0 (box score from ESPN). He threw 34 times for 209 yards, 2 TD's, and one interception. Aside from one chunk play for a 44 yard pass to Tyler Higbee, it was a lot of dink and dunk passes from Jared. Jared was sacked 3 times for 20 yards. We all know about the Oline struggles last year, with Whit being out for several games, so there is that.

Stafford is not Jared Goff. He will throw downfield to Jackson and he will move smoothly in a pocket created by our best Oline in a few years. He has a running game with which to work. There will be a slow start most likely, but there will be very little dinking and dunking. He will make a few throws that are questionable, but that's part of the deal with him. Kupp, Woods and Higbeast will be getting theirs.

Knowing this, my saying that the Rams will destroy the Giants will have no bearing on the outcome of the game. I imagine that Sean McVay is acutely aware that getting his players motivated every week is one of his biggest jobs before game day. As long as HE and his staff are taking the Giants seriously and the team responds to that coaching, this game should not be close.
Dude, I think you describe a lot of us here. Nothing unusual to me.
I agree with your sentiment and back you 100%

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Ok, but even with that mindset, pointing towards the Jets game as a reason to be properly humble seems crazy to me, as some do. Matthew Stafford and his Oline is a paradigm shift in the Rams offense compared to last year. That's why when people say in hushed tones, "remember the Jets games game, so cool yur tits, bruh" (They actually say it just that way) , it kinda drives me nuts.
We are sure to have some ups and downs this year, but I don't see anything like the jets game happening
to this team anytime soon.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
In a land, far, far away....

eekno5v.gif
LMAO you guys tear me up. Great Thread

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm overconfident, which I freely admit. Part of it is for show and a subtle troll against the idea that my overconfidence has any effect on the game at all. I fully believe the Rams are about to destroy, and should destroy the NY football Giants. Measuring the talent on both sides and thinking of both the Rams and the Giants playing to their full potential, this should be no contest. Every West Coast team deals with travel and away crowds and later weather problems. A team can be tired or flat (look at the Cardinals game).

When I talk about the assbeating we should deal to the Gigantes, I always get the warning of last year's hubris over the Jets game. As you remember, we lost to the winless Jets 23-20. This was at home at empty SoFi and the Rams should have won. BUT. This was not a good game for Jared Goff and the offense. If you are a believer in QBR, Goff's was 16.0 (box score from ESPN). He threw 34 times for 209 yards, 2 TD's, and one interception. Aside from one chunk play for a 44 yard pass to Tyler Higbee, it was a lot of dink and dunk passes from Jared. Jared was sacked 3 times for 20 yards. We all know about the Oline struggles last year, with Whit being out for several games, so there is that.

Stafford is not Jared Goff. He will throw downfield to Jackson and he will move smoothly in a pocket created by our best Oline in a few years. He has a running game with which to work. There will be a slow start most likely, but there will be very little dinking and dunking. He will make a few throws that are questionable, but that's part of the deal with him. Kupp, Woods and Higbeast will be getting theirs.

Knowing this, my saying that the Rams will destroy the Giants will have no bearing on the outcome of the game. I imagine that Sean McVay is acutely aware that getting his players motivated every week is one of his biggest jobs before game day. As long as HE and his staff are taking the Giants seriously and the team responds to that coaching, this game should not be close.

Well now you jinxed them and we'll lose by double digits. I hope you're happy.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm reminded there's a fine line in the NFL between winning and losing. Cliche? Sure. But every year the percentage of games decided by 7 points or less is in the high 40's.....47.7% last year, 48.0% in 2019, 48.8% in 2018 and so on. Games decided by 3 points or less is always (with rare exception) in the low 20's......23.1% last year, 19.9% in 2019, 28.5% in 2018, 21.1% in 2017 and so on.

We lost to the Jets by 3 points and the offense didn't play all that well. But....neither did the defense. Coming out of the gate, after a Rams punt on their first possession, the Jets went 74 yards in 13 plays for 7. A blocked punt and a pick set them up for a 13-3 halftime lead, that wasn't the defense's fault. However.....coming out of the locker room they drove 72 yards in 11 plays for 7 and on their next possession 72 yards in 10 plays for 3. That's all on the defense.

Despite all that, a holding call with 7:42 to go, negating a 18 yard Akers TD run, snatched a 23-20 loss from the jaws of a 24-23 win. Of course the D would have had to keep the Jets off the scoreboard the last 7 minutes and frankly, the way they played I don't know if that happens. They would have only needed a FG.

But that game was a complete TEAM loss.

Having said that, I agree.....WE (fans) can't jinx anything. WE can't cost the team by our complacency. WE can't blow a game because we overlooked an opponent. So yeah, the Rams ought to beat them 41-10!!!

And how does that make you feel.

That'll be 150$ and I don't validate

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Here we go...GMFB's questioning whether this is a trap game for the Rams and even questioned the fairness of the "Football Gods" with Barkley's injury last week....They even couldn't resist mentioning the Jets game last year. It freaking had it all.....lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlY0cTEv5rs

Of all the bobbleheads the guy on the video thumbnail. (can't remember his name)
Is the most moronic person in sports. Every time he speaks, I ask myself
How does this idiot have this job.
I would be willing to bet that if you gave him a test on the rules of football
I'm talking about the very basic of basics, test for dummies.
he would flunk the hell out of it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We are sure to have some ups and downs this year, but I don't see anything like the jets game happening
to this team anytime soon.
We already saw it against the Cardinals. Cards are better than we thought, but no way we look that bad if we hadn't let down after the TB game and looked past them to the Seahawks game. The Rams were at least as bad as they were in the Jets game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
All i want from McV is higher percentage play calls on
3rd and 5, 3rd and 7 etc. I honestly feel more confident on those 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 calls sometimes.

The Rams as currently constructed can get 5 yards whenever they want to.

Don't throw sideline fades 20 yards downfield on 3rd and 5. Okay? Thanks Sean.