Let's Be Honest, Tavon Austin Or Cordarelle Patterson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO whatever difference there is won't be worth arguing over ,we paid a little bit of a high price for TA, but after all is said and done I expect him to strive to live up to it ,if our ST's weren't so young and made so many mistakes early ,I doubt there would be much debate at al.

Did we pay a lot ,yes ,is it a done deal? Yup but regardless I can't see anyone calling it all terrible,I think it will turn out well.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Well, there's the TA of the first 1/2 and the TA of the 2nd half. And everything I saw of TA in the second half is all I need to know. And it took us a while to finally stop negating big plays and getting him the ball in space.

TA for me.

FWIW- I just re-watched the Colts game..all I can say is DAMN he good.

ausmurp

Starter
I would take Tavon. I do think Patterson will be a good WR in the NFL, but what Tavon can do is special. I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite as explosive and able to change directions/speed up/stop on a dime like that before. If TA didn't get hurt I think he'd have better numbers across the board. TA was just starting to heat up when he got hurt, the Rams were just beginning to scratch the surface of his ability.

I agree Tavon over Patterson. But I also agree Keenan Allen over both of them. This quote is very exaggerated though, and I read a lot of Rams fans say this... Lets not forget we grew up watching the most explosive, direction changer/fastest runner (debatable but not really come on) to ever play the game in Barry Sanders. Tavon is good but he's no Barry Sanders lol.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Production wise, they were about the same.

I didn't like the trade up, but could see why they did.

Hope he reacts more than think next year.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
If that's the total stats for the year for both players. I would take Tavon, because he played less games and the stats are almost the same. If he didn't get injured on that Run play he would definitely have better stats. I am biased though, because Tavon is on our team. There's something about Tavon that when he touches the ball I sit up, and pay closer attention to the TV. Tavon's speed, and agility are world class in football sense. There's always a possibility that he has the ball in his hands that you hold your breathe, and see if he will take it to the house.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Since most of the ROD'mers want another WR with our first #2 pick in the 2014 draft then its logical that Patterson was most likely the better pick in 2013. When you use a #8 pick on a WR and then you turn around & desire another top pick used on a another WR that tells you much about that 2013 top pick.

However I am not one of those ROD'mers who think that WR Watkins is the best pick for us so I will just keep Tavon Austin and pass on Watkins!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Slight edge to Patterson though right now that's hardly fair since TA missed a few games. If he shows up next year and does what he did the last several games then he is going to be a great weapon. He's not going to catch 90 passes for 1400 yards, that's not his MO. He may only ever get 65 catches but will add big plays in the running game and on kick returns so the fact that he is behind in stats a little doesn't bother me.

Worth the price paid? I dunno, if he doesn't improve at all maybe not. But that isn't very likely is it.....

He's a danger to opposing DCs game plans and opposing ST coaches have to account for him too. That's a big deal.

It's like a guy in the NBA who can dribble himself open for a shot or drive to the rim anytime he wants to. The defense changes when that guy gets the ball. That's what Austin is.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Since most of the ROD'mers want another WR with our first #2 pick in the 2014 draft then its logical that Patterson was most likely the better pick in 2013. When you use a #8 pick on a WR and then you turn around & desire another top pick used on a another WR that tells you much about that 2013 top pick.

However I am not one of those ROD'mers who think that WR Watkins is the best pick for us so I will just keep Tavon Austin and pass on Watkins!

This.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Keenan Allen
DeAndre Hopkins (who I would have picked at 16)
Cordarelle Patterson
Tavon Austin

Now I hope that Austin ends up as the best of the bunch (if he's still a Ram of course), but I fear that our coaching staff won't be able to use him to his full ability. Thus far he isn't remotely worth what they gave up to get him.

tonyl711

Starter
Bonifay, I don't think they picked TA to be a #1 WR, he was picked to be a better, faster DA. they tried to get Quick and Givens to be the #1 and that obviously didn't work.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Either is fine. Patterson was a lot more boom-or-bust, good rookie campaign notwithstanding. Then again, I wanted Justin Hunter more than any other WR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Keenan Allen did as a rookie was impressive but keep in mind that he was also the most pro ready WR in the draft. If you go back and look at recent history, you'll see that usually the most pro ready WR(i.e. the WR that led the NFL in rookie receiving yards) didn't end up being the best WR in his class.

Hell, go back and look at the 2010 Draft. In a draft that featured Dez Bryant, DeMaryius Thomas, Rob Gronkowski, Golden Taint, Eric Decker, Antonio Brown, Danario Alexander and Victor Cruz...the best rookie WR in that draft was Tampa Bay's Mike Williams.

What Allen did was impressive but I would like to see how Austin develops before we start deciding that we should have taken Allen. If Austin gets anywhere near his ceiling, I think he'll be the better pick.

V3

Hall of Fame
I was probably one of the few at the "other site" that actually liked Patterson. I'll just say I wasn't pleased the Rams gave up so much for Austin. I don't think he'll be worth what they traded. I'd much rather have Patterson and our 2nd round pick than Austin- and that's how I felt when the pick was made.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I liked them both in the draft and did lean a little toward Patterson. My answer though is TA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, I don't think they picked TA to be a #1 WR, he was picked to be a better, faster DA. they tried to get Quick and Givens to be the #1 and that obviously didn't work.

Hey tony, yep some non progression has taken over the WR cadre the last two years. OK but using the top 10 pick to not be one of your starting two WR posts when the team does not have a good WR @ the time of the selection???? is a Luxury.....a selection of slot receiver/punt returner is not normally associated with a constant losing team. A team that has not had a wining season since 2003 usually go a different route.

I understand the TA pick but it is obvious that the OC Shotty was not ready for TA. I think it would be wise to provide the present very youthful drafted class 2012/2013 latent talented cadre before throwing in the towel for another WR with the top pick (Sammy Watkins).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tavon started slow.

I like our chances that we got the better player. Patterson has impressive skills, but Tavon is going to make jaw dropping big plays in this league. His cut ability is unlike anyone in the league right now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What Keenan Allen did as a rookie was impressive but keep in mind that he was also the most pro ready WR in the draft. If you go back and look at recent history, you'll see that usually the most pro ready WR(i.e. the WR that led the NFL in rookie receiving yards) didn't end up being the best WR in his class.

Hell, go back and look at the 2010 Draft. In a draft that featured Dez Bryant, DeMaryius Thomas, Rob Gronkowski, Golden Taint, Eric Decker, Antonio Brown, Danario Alexander and Victor Cruz...the best rookie WR in that draft was Tampa Bay's Mike Williams.

What Allen did was impressive but I would like to see how Austin develops before we start deciding that we should have taken Allen. If Austin gets anywhere near his ceiling, I think he'll be the better pick.[/quote]

If he is able to translate 75% of that college big play production to the NFL it's a great trade up/selection. Your point about his ceiling is a good one.