Let's Be Honest, Tavon Austin Or Cordarelle Patterson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

They were considered the most explosive receivers in last years class. Patterson is larger,but was considered a raw latent. TA is a bit faster and was more polished, but is undersized. Here are their rookie stats:

Rush Yds: TA 151 CP 158
Receptions: TA 40 CP 45
Rec Yds: TA 418 CP 469
Rec YPG: TA 32 CP 29
Rec of 40+ Yds: TA 2 CP 1
Rec TDs: TA 4 CP 4
Rec of 20+ Yds: TA 5 CP 7
CP: All-Pro KR
TA: PR (had numerous returns negated by penalties)

The differences between their stats are municipal, so -- considering what we gave up to draft him and his size -- if we could go back, would you rather wait for Patterson and keep the 2nd rd draft pick? Personally, I wish I can make an unbiased decision, for I love his character and am attached to guy, and I'm anxious to see what TA and Schotty can do next year. Yet, I cannot deny that CP has been impressive so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamsOfCastamere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dammit, please do not read until I finish it.

EDIT: I'm done. I inadvertently hit the the post button before I was finished. :slap:

…..

Legend
ok...I am officially not reading it until you post TD's lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wanted Patterson before the draft, so...

…..

Legend
its a tough choice.....

I liked Patterson in some of the highlights....he looked the part of an NFL receiver.

I think Patterson will have the better career to be honest.

RamsFan14

Starter
I personally think it'll be more reasonable for him to have an Amendola like season (hopefully without the injuries!) next year. He's so quick and fast, once he's able to adjust his route based on the defense that's being played, he'll be able to get open QUICKLY and Bradford can hopefully take advantage of his skill set I am still concerned about his height tho... Hopefully Bradford will be able to deliver the ball and find him over the OL. Austin will have the time in the offseason to really learn about defenses rather then learn the playbook during his free time. What made Amendola so good was he was able to adjust his route on his own and get open quickly, something hopefully Austin can do. I'm pretty excited about next year and what he can potentially bring to the table.

Patterson had his impressive moments too. They had even years last year I'd say, but he does seem to have a lot of potential. Idk how to compare the two, there positions are very different and they just have different roles.

RamsOfCastamere

I think Patterson will be another Jacoby Jones.

jjab360

Legend
It's obviously very close, they both had similar seasons, but I'd still take Tavon because while CP has great speed and elusiveness for his size, Austin is one of the fastest and might just be the quickest player in the entire league for any size. I think as Schotty becomes more creative in how he uses him (a Rams fan can dream right?), Tavon will be able to consistently make the big plays he showed he was capable of this season.

RamsOfCastamere

It's obviously very close, they both had similar seasons, but I'd still take Tavon because while CP has great speed and elusiveness for his size, Austin is one of the fastest and might just be the quickest player in the entire league for any size. I think as Schotty becomes more creative in how he uses him (a Rams fan can dream right?), Tavon will be able to consistently make the big plays he showed he was capable of this season.

The playcalling was more creative towards season end -- that fake reverse vs the Bears was brilliant! Schotty needed time to become familiar with TA, IMO. Like getting a new car, you have to drive it around a bit before you're accustomed to it's sensitivity, turning radius, blind spots, etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me Tavon. Patterson is an elite KR and a great running threat but imo, he doesn't have the same type of feeling at the WR position and he doesn't run routes nearly as good as Tavon.

If the Rams can utilize Tavon correctly next year, he can be a monster. Patterson is a great athlete...no doubt. But I just don't think he's a natural WR. Austin is. Hopefully the Rams realize this eventually.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patterson looked better than I thought he would. He certainly is a playmaker.

But give me Austin all day, every day. The rams haven't even scratched the surface of his god given talent.

Last season Patterson (too many drops and a costly fumble for TA). Long term Austin. But can I take the man I was banging the drum for for about a year before the draft, Keenan Allen, give me him by far.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would take Tavon. I do think Patterson will be a good WR in the NFL, but what Tavon can do is special. I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite as explosive and able to change directions/speed up/stop on a dime like that before. If TA didn't get hurt I think he'd have better numbers across the board. TA was just starting to heat up when he got hurt, the Rams were just beginning to scratch the surface of his ability.

RFIP

Patterson was my second choice for a long time last draft but the more I though about it the more I shied away because he has too much similarities to Quick with all those physical skills (admittedly more than Quick) and maybe not the learning abilities.

I LOVE Austin and can't wait to see him year 2.

Alan

Legend
I'm not going to comment about this since everyone knows already how I feel about drafting Tavon.

tonyl711

Starter
TA, the way he started heating up the second half of the season makes me think he is finally getting it and this league is not too big for him, I look for him to show why the Rams drafted him so high.