Les Snead: We should have had a QB Competition last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Can we have a competition to see who can bring an actual NFL WR to the Rams?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Sneed Quote:
"You saw that a little bit but, hey, we open up and beat Seattle and went to Arizona and won. He did some good things for us. We just ran into a slump there in the middle of the year."

In that first sentence Snead seems to admit that they saw the warning signs in camp that Foles might not be the guy but the win in Seattle game and later in Arizona delayed switching to Keenum and that the Foles extension was a failure (Maybe I read it wrong).

Also From the Article
Snead also defended Foles and the play of the team's other quarterbacks by pointing to mitigating factors. One of them was having a first-time offensive coordinator (Frank Cignetti Jr.) who was fired before the season ended. Another was disappointing play from the Rams' receiving corps.

"We had a chance to win four straight at the end of the year. Every wide receiver that dressed out dropped one ball that day. You can't have that," said Snead, whose team will have a new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator next season in Mike Groh.

Anyone who knows an about ounce about football knows the Rams main problem was heir feckless offense but Snead's comments are more specific to the main cause within the offense (aside from QB) and it is essentially an indictment of Cignetti, the WR's, and Ray Sherman IMO and although I agree with Snead, I think the TE group from a receiving standpoint was also a big disappointment. Also, I think the Rams should have used their backs more in the passing game. This last statement about WR's hopefully confirms the obvious speculation that we can expect the Rams to revamp the WR' group via draft and free agency.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, they were so focused on Nicks 25 TD - 2 Int performance that they never looked into his game and if he had flaws that other teams found in year two? Dumb.

I wish they had traded Bradford for a first rounder to Cleveland.....if that offer actually existed. What would that pick be right now?

Either way I doubt they would have been resigning Sam if they had kept him. So they had the failed season that they most likely have under Sam and they get a second round pick out of it.

I want them to go all in on a young QB but I just don't get the feeling that they will be doing that. I think they sit at 15 and take what comes and then use both seconds on pass catchers. Or continue with their path of taking BPA in round 1, trade up for a QB with their two seconds late in round 1 or early in round 2 and address WR/TE in free agency. I guess it all depends on what they think of Mannion and what they can get in Free agency. With the cap expanding most teams will be able to keep their best players. Yet another interesting offseason with lots of questions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sneed Quote:
"You saw that a little bit but, hey, we open up and beat Seattle and went to Arizona and won. He did some good things for us. We just ran into a slump there in the middle of the year."

In that first sentence Snead seems to admit that they saw the warning signs in camp that Foles might not be the guy but the win in Seattle game and later in Arizona delayed switching to Keenum and that the Foles extension was a failure (Maybe I read it wrong).

Also From the Article
Snead also defended Foles and the play of the team's other quarterbacks by pointing to mitigating factors. One of them was having a first-time offensive coordinator (Frank Cignetti Jr.) who was fired before the season ended. Another was disappointing play from the Rams' receiving corps.

"We had a chance to win four straight at the end of the year. Every wide receiver that dressed out dropped one ball that day. You can't have that," said Snead, whose team will have a new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator next season in Mike Groh.

Anyone who knows an about ounce about football knows the Rams main problem was heir feckless offense but Snead's comments are more specific to the main cause within the offense (aside from QB) and it is essentially an indictment of Cignetti, the WR's, and Ray Sherman IMO and although I agree with Snead, I think the TE group from a receiving standpoint was also a big disappointment. Also, I think the Rams should have used their backs more in the passing game. This last statement about WR's hopefully confirms the obvious speculation that we can expect the Rams to revamp the WR' group via draft and free agency.

Look to Seattle's WRs as a reason they made the playoffs. Their drop percentages are some of the lowest in the league and as a group may be the lowest. We saw that stat in the playoff games. For years they have been regarded as a substandard group because they are not dominant at getting open. But they do understand what to do when a play breaks down and the QB scrambles. Either way they DONT drop the ball.

fearsomefour

Legend
Admitting mistakes is fine and important....understanding why such big mistakes were made is the key to getting better. Knowing ones weaknesses are key. It al alarming to me that a braintrust could not see what was obvious to a lot of people that only have the TV and their own eyes as resources. I think part of the problem is believing they are smarter than everyone else.
Get it right already.

jap

Legend
Johnny Hekker: "Damn it!!! If we actually had a QB competition last year, I definitely would have won it going away!!!"

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

I wouldn't be fully opposed to going D in the first 3 rounds, it's not like the D is elite or anything, it can clearly be upgraded and unlike the offense I actually trust Fisher and Snead to find and coach defensive players. It's not like we're a year away from the playoffs anyway, the O is going to take a good few years to fix.

Come away with a DE (or DT if you don't intend to re-sign Brockers), a CB (to replace the one we don't re-sign) and a MLB, build an elite D and hire an offensive mind to replace Fisher in 2017.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sooo, isn't that kind of a shot at Fish? Les doesn't make personnel (roster) decisions does he?

I think Davis sealed his own fate late last season, and there was no way he was coming back. And personally (this is just my guess), I don't think Fisher liked his personality all that much. Fisher, to me, likes to be able to relate to players on their level, and likes high energy guys. Davis was kind of meh. And that's why I think he desperately wanted Keenum back. Keenum is a rah-rah kind of guy, but even better (for Fisher), is that he doesn't make a ton of dumb mistakes. That's pretty important in a scaled back offense while relying on defense to keep you in games. A costly turnover is too much to overcome when you don't have a ton of offense to begin with. All that said, I don't see Keenum as the answer, and I don't think Fisher/Snead do either. But I'll bet a lump of money that they want him back just to be in the locker room and ready to fill in should the worse happen to whoever they bring in as a starter.

Wrong on Davis. It came down to $1.1m/yr vs. ~$600k/yr as the supposed backup. They thought Foles would be the #1 from the beginning of the season until the end. This is the reason Davis didn't get a shot vs. Keenum getting all the reps in the preseason. It was an agent/team/money play.

Ram65

Legend
I think Davis and Foles just aren't very good.

It will be interesting to see if the and who the Rams add at QB. Keenum and Mannion plus one. I hope the plus one isn't Foles.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I felt that Davis burned his bridge when Fisher basically handed him the backup job, and he played terrible thus giving the #2 job to Clemens. Due to injury only did Davis get another shot. Never felt Fisher was all that thrilled with him even when he played well.
In any event, I find it pretty disheartening to see how they handled the QB situation with Foles, but at least Snead is owning up to it, and publicly.
Have to figure he is planning on seeing big change