Les Snead: We should have had a QB Competition last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams gonna be all in on skills guys. Hope that lasts when Fish is looking at a top rated DE at 15...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams gonna be all in on skills guys. Hope that lasts when Fish is looking at a top rated DE at 15...
I think you're right. Open competition across the board on offense.
Can't really afford to do anything else, because nothing else is as imperative.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully they at least learned from their mistake. Handing Foles the starting job - and worse yet, a contract extension - without even seeing him play was stupid. I get the argument of wanting to lock him up early on the cheap. But why couldn't they have waited even a few weeks? It's not like Foles would have suddenly gained all the leverage after 3 weeks of play, even if they were strong ones? Why not at least take the car for a test drive?

I also still cannot believe they literally shoved Davis out the door after a strong season being thrust into the starting role on a moment's notice. They didn't just bring in their starter in Foles. They also brought in their backup in Keenum. Odd, considering Davis *should* have at least shown enough to warrant consideration for that role. I think Keenum is the better QB. But still. To not even let Davis compete after his showing in 2014-15 was pretty low. Props to Davis for not complaining because, unlike Mr. Pead, he truly did NOT get ANY opportunity.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hopefully they at least learned from their mistake. Handing Foles the starting job - and worse yet, a contract extension - without even seeing him play was stupid. I get the argument of wanting to lock him up early on the cheap. But why couldn't they have waited even a few weeks? It's not like Foles would have suddenly gained all the leverage after 3 weeks of play, even if they were strong ones? Why not at least take the car for a test drive?

I also still cannot believe they literally shoved Davis out the door after a strong season being thrust into the starting role on a moment's notice. They didn't just bring in their starter in Foles. They also brought in their backup in Keenum. Odd, considering Davis *should* have at least shown enough to warrant consideration for that role. I think Keenum is the better QB. But still. To not even let Davis compete after his showing in 2014-15 was pretty low. Props to Davis for not complaining because, unlike Mr. Pead, he truly did NOT get ANY opportunity.
I think Davis sealed his own fate late last season, and there was no way he was coming back. And personally (this is just my guess), I don't think Fisher liked his personality all that much. Fisher, to me, likes to be able to relate to players on their level, and likes high energy guys. Davis was kind of meh. And that's why I think he desperately wanted Keenum back. Keenum is a rah-rah kind of guy, but even better (for Fisher), is that he doesn't make a ton of dumb mistakes. That's pretty important in a scaled back offense while relying on defense to keep you in games. A costly turnover is too much to overcome when you don't have a ton of offense to begin with. All that said, I don't see Keenum as the answer, and I don't think Fisher/Snead do either. But I'll bet a lump of money that they want him back just to be in the locker room and ready to fill in should the worse happen to whoever they bring in as a starter.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Les has spoken in the past about becoming obsessed when drafting positions.
He has proven that the last few years. Whether it be DB and DL the first couple of years, or Oline last year.

There is no question, that he had better become very obsessed with WR and QB this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Les has spoken in the past about becoming obsessed when drafting positions.
He has proven that the last few years. Whether it be DB and DL the first couple of years, or Oline last year.

There is no question, that he had better become very obsessed with WR and QB this year.
Agreed. And we're talking about a guy who pounded the table to get Julio Jones when he was Dimitroff's personnel director.

jjab360

Legend
I think Davis sealed his own fate late last season, and there was no way he was coming back. And personally (this is just my guess), I don't think Fisher liked his personality all that much. Fisher, to me, likes to be able to relate to players on their level, and likes high energy guys. Davis was kind of meh. And that's why I think he desperately wanted Keenum back. Keenum is a rah-rah kind of guy, but even better (for Fisher), is that he doesn't make a ton of dumb mistakes. That's pretty important in a scaled back offense while relying on defense to keep you in games. A costly turnover is too much to overcome when you don't have a ton of offense to begin with. All that said, I don't see Keenum as the answer, and I don't think Fisher/Snead do either. But I'll bet a lump of money that they want him back just to be in the locker room and ready to fill in should the worse happen to whoever they bring in as a starter.
I really don't think that's it, otherwise he would've never hitched his wagon to a personality like Bradford. I think Davis' dismissal had everything to do with his extreme physical limitations and high rate of turnovers.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

If this is in fact true as all sign show, it's good news for those of us that never want to see Folds starting again based in last years performance

With that said - Cignetti, Garcia, and Weinke (again just speculation) must have mind f'd the guy to where his confidence deteriorated beyond the mind games he endured under Chip Kelly -- cause contradictory to what I'm saying above, I have this strange feeling that whomever is calling for a vet (jim thomas for example) will be greatly disappointed when that said vet ends up being Folds - I have a feeling they might just give him chance under Groh and Boras since he's under contract

QB position is gonna be the melodrama of the Rams off-season kinda like "who shot JR"

I can't wait to see what they do considering Fisher only likes to keep 2 QB's active, with 3 as the most

Who will be the odd man out? Mannion, the unsigned Keenum? Will they have the stones to cut Folds outright

* personally thinking the worst case scenerio - I think Fisher/Snead are going WR with the #15 pick and we'll all be happy with the kid from Ol' Miss, and then everything will implode when they take a flyer on some physically gifted yet under performing QB in the second like Sackenburg

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKeNKvl-J4

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really don't think that's it, otherwise he would've never hitched his wagon to a personality like Bradford. I think Davis' dismissal had everything to do with his extreme physical limitations and high rate of turnovers.
They weren't able to financially part ways with Bradford the first couple of years. That said, I don't think they disliked Bradford at all. All they ever did was praise his work ethic and his involvement in all things preparation. Again, it's just a hunch with Davis on my part, but I really don't think Fisher connected with him. And when he started throwing pick 6's at record pace, the divide kind of widened, IMO.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I feel like there were a lot of us who said that pretty early in the process. Oh well ... What's done is done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have this strange feeling that whomever is calling for a vet (jim thomas for example) will be greatly disappointed when that said vet ends up being Folds - I have a feeling they might just give him chance under Groh and Boras since he's under contract

QB position is gonna be the melodrama of the Rams off-season kinda like "who shot JR"

I can't wait to see what they do considering Fisher only likes to keep 2 QB's active, with 3 as the most

Who will be the odd man out? Mannion, the unsigned Keenum? Will they have the stones to cut Folds outright
Foles is the guy everyone will be watching this upcoming offseason. Most of us are looking for the Rams to unload him early. *IF* he does remain on this team going into camp, then there better be at least FOUR quarterbacks competing for the STARTING job all the way through preseason. As Snead said, it was a mistake just handing him the job, so you have to believe they're not going to simply hand it over to anyone else. Unless they get a guy like Peyton Manning to play here.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't know many FO guys that would make that confessional, but it's kind of refreshing after a lot of poo being flung around. Davis, just didn't have it, and I think Keenum is better, but obviously not the answer long term, or next level. He can be a solid backup for us. We don't know the progress of Mannion. I think it was a mistake not getting him reps last year. Foles was a horrible player at the position, and going to Keenum earlier, or letting him compete for the position, probably made the difference of us making the playoffs.

In an open competition, I don't know how Mannion doesn't beat Foles out, for the #2, in all honesty, at some point in the season. Will we sign a FA vet QB, or will we draft another one? Depends on how we feel about Keenum and Mannion. Not one, but both. I don't see Foles ending up here next year....I hope I don't see Foles here, dude lost it.

If I get a chance at someone better than Mannion, or Keenum, I take him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles is the guy everyone will be watching this upcoming offseason. Most of us are looking for the Rams to unload him early. *IF* he does remain on this team going into camp, then there better be at least FOUR quarterbacks competing for the STARTING job all the way through preseason. As Snead said, it was a mistake just handing him the job, so you have to believe they're not going to simply hand it over to anyone else. Unless they get a guy like Peyton Manning to play here.

I don't know, Manning is pretty old. Think he'd come here if he were told he had to fight it out with Mannion and Keenum for playing time?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know, Manning is pretty old. Think he'd come here if he were told he had to fight it out with Mannion and Keenum for playing time?
Better to play for the Rams than against them ... would be his thinking.

nfl_u_donald_a_600.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Rams plan to have QB competition heading into '16

Les Snead said Tuesday that the Rams are planning to have all three of the quarterbacks on their current roster – Foles, Case Keenum and Sean Mannion – as well as any potential offseason additions battle for the starting spot.

By Alex Marvez
Jan 26, 2016 at 9:00p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...m-sean-mannion-quarterback-competition-012616

MOBILE, Ala. -- Les Snead wouldn't say the Los Angeles Rams have buyer's remorse about trading for Nick Foles.

However, there is something that the general manager does regret about the 2015 season – and it's a mistake he doesn't plan for the franchise to make again.

Snead said Tuesday that the Rams are planning to have all three of the quarterbacks on their current roster --€“ Foles, Case Keenum and Sean Mannion --€“ as well as any potential offseason additions battle for the starting spot. Last year, the Rams designated Foles their starter after acquiring him and a 2016 second-round draft pick in a trade with Philadelphia for Sam Bradford.

"If I learned one thing last year we should have let the quarterbacks have a competition from the start and the best man win instead of just passing the torch to Nick," Snead told co-host Mark Dominik and me on SiriusXM NFL Radio at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Foles was impressive enough upon his arrival that the Rams signed him during the preseason to a two-year, $24.5 million contract extension that included $13.7 million guaranteed. Foles, though, struggled to the point that he was benched for the final four games in favor of Keenum as the Rams (7-9) finished without a winning record for the 12th consecutive season.

Snead said the body of work Foles compiled during two seasons with the Eagles prompted his early designation as the Rams' first-stringer.

"He obviously had a lot of success at Philly and it was proven so we brought him in," said Snead, referring to Foles' 15-9 starting record with Philadelphia in 2013 and 2014. "As you go through things with a new quarterback and he's learning a new system there's going to be some growing pains whether it's in OTAs or training camp.

"You saw that a little bit but, hey, we open up and beat Seattle and went to Arizona and won. He did some good things for us. We just ran into a slump there in the middle of the year."

Snead also defended Foles and the play of the team's other quarterbacks by pointing to mitigating factors. One of them was having a first-time offensive coordinator (Frank Cignetti Jr.) who was fired before the season ended. Another was disappointing play from the Rams' receiving corps.

In particular, Snead cited the Rams' 19-16 loss at San Francisco in the season-finale.

"We had a chance to win four straight at the end of the year. Every wide receiver that dressed out dropped one ball that day. You can't have that," said Snead, whose team will have a new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator next season in Mike Groh.

"I think Nick's season would have been better and coach Cignetti's season would have been better and even Case's last game would have been better had those guys stepped up."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Hmmmm was that the extent of the interview? I'd love to hear the rest. Also yeah just handing the torch to Foles was a mistake I think it made him a bit lazy early on.