Les Snead: We Can’t Make An Emotional Decision on Bradford's Contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I would react something like this if we ever see Asshole Face coaching for the Rams in any capacity.

2l2p8p.jpg

I meant as an offensive coordinator - but why so against him?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I meant as an offensive coordinator - but why so against him?

I know what you meant. I have a distaste for anyone who's a bully. The reports about the way he bullies people who work for him and around him are legion. That's why I don't want him working for the Rams.

fearsomefour

Legend
The better options over Shaun are usually starting NFL QB's. The ideal backup for Sam is someone very much like him---a QB with a rocket arm, quick release, good-to-great accuracy, who can make quick, good decisions. Those guys tend to become starting NFL QB's. You would have to find someone who fell through the NFL scouting/drafting cracks, another Kurt Warner, and that is highly, highly unlikely.
Right.
Like I said not really any practical upgrades are going to be available. Or I there is a guy with starting experience and is decent it will cost a lot.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After watching Hill, @CGI_Ram , can't believe you'd want him back at any capacity....Davis & Keenum battle for the backup spot...Hundley/Petty get drafted & groomed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
After watching Hill, @CGI_Ram , can't believe you'd want him back at any capacity....Davis & Keenum battle for the backup spot...Hundley/Petty get drafted & groomed.
Yeah, but, after watching Davis and having never seen Keenum on this team, how can you want either of them in any capacity? Let's face it. Nobody on this team has a body of work that inspires much confidence. So bring them all back and let's see who wants it more.

Athos

Legend
Well, sticking with Sam without a solid B, and no, Hill for damn shit sure aren't a solid plan B, the Rams will be making an emotional decision.

So......not sure I get the point.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah, but, after watching Davis and having never seen Keenum on this team, how can you want either of them in any capacity? Let's face it. Nobody on this team has a body of work that inspires much confidence. So bring them all back and let's see who wants it more.
Well, you got me...really not excited by any but maybe Keenum...I figure the games Hill & Davis lost, assuming neither can get better are basically what you don't want going into a big game in the NFC West....let all three battle...Hell, call Gilbert in too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was my first thought too. I'm really hoping that not making an emotional decision means doing whats best for the team and NOT necessarily Sam Bradford.

you think if the rams had a viable alternative they would ignore him and just roll with sam? snead said you don't let talent walk out the door. all teams think that way and the only reason they do would be salary cap/injury issues. do you see any quality qbs being let go this off season?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
you think if the rams had a viable alternative they would ignore him and just roll with sam? snead said you don't let talent walk out the door. all teams think that way and the only reason they do would be salary cap/injury issues. do you see any quality qbs being let go this off season?

Well my point was that just because Sam is a good guy, a great teammate, and has put in a ton of hard work rehabilitating his knee(twice)...the Rams don't owe Sam Bradford anything in terms of becoming emotionally involved or feeling like Sam needs any favors during negotiations or deciding to bring him back.

Last edited:
I'm not overly worried about how much we pay Sam next year, if we cut Long, Wells and Langford all for cap purposes, we should be able to at the very least bring back all our FAs that we want to and pay Sam his full money (of course if Sam will take less then all the better) what worries me is if he comes back next season, plays all 16 games and plays like a top 10 QB taking us to the playoffs, I still wouldn't trust him to stay healthy in 2016, giving him a long term contract with a lot of guaranteed money (i.e. a QB's contract) is scary thought.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Les says they can't, what's not to believe, if they really believe Sam can make it back then he'll be back, I don't see "emotional decision" factoring in here, I agree with Vermeil, they really have no choice.

Now as for the forums...one way or another they're going to blow up once the decision is made. It will be the "keyboard football geniuses" you know, the guys with all the stats and such, complaining or the "moms" the folks who believe SB8 can do this ( I guess I'm one) celebrating:D

Edit: I forgot to mention the 3rd party, wait and see hope for the best guy, probably won't complain much, or celebrate, more like hold his breathe.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
To re-sign Hill and draft a rookie QB will lead to 4-5 million. Along with the 16.5 hit to Bradford
This makes me wonder if we shouldn't start Davis the next 2 weeks.
He may be able to win a back up position for less of a hit.

jdhommert

Rookie
I've always been logical on the whole Bradford thing, not a hater or lover, but thinking he's somewhat talented at least and needed an OL and Wr to be good.

I said bail on him and no way can you rely on him for '15

But it's becoming clear we wont have a shot at drafting a guy who can be an instant great starter. That's what we need. We've got a top 5 defense now. I'm happy with our RBs, WRs, TEs and think we could maybe use a little bit of help on the OL....but we are just a QB away from being a playoff team.

It just looks like Bradford is going to be our best option for '15.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Rams most critical requirement at QB is to draft one who has some mobility and accuracy. Sit him on the depth chart where he can do a very, very important role which is playing Crapondick and Wilson for the scout team while he learns. When the defense gets to the point where they want to kill him from making them look bad, maybe he's ready to challenge for the backup spot behind Bradford, assuming he actually makes it to the season as the starter.

Oh and btw... Some of these drafted QBs may be able to play better than people expect. There are several with excellent mobility, strong if not ridiculous arms, and if things are done correctly the Rams will have an improved OL behind which they run a play action heavy attack with a LOT of weapons.

Many of us seem to have settled in to a depressing outlook on the QBs, and I'm certainly guilty of that. But it is possible to find a rook that can help you out in the event your starter can't stay healthy. Mariota, for example, will immediately be better than Crapondick in my estimation he is a better passer, far more accurate even at a full sprint, and is always looking to throw even while scrambling. And there are a couple others that I would like to see us take.

Back to Bradford, if he isn't willing to restructure I believe he will be dealt or cut outright. But I do think he will restructure and be with the Rams next year at this point, because he'd have to be crazy to not see the talent this offensive team has. That restructure might mean he's got a guy like Iupati at OG. It's a big deal, IMO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they are talking to Bradford's agents at all and Bradford is still spending as much time as he is with the team, I'd say they are going to work out a deal. I'm going to just guess that it is a deal that will allow them to sign Sam for at minimum 2 years, while allowing them to also bring in a rookie high round pick AND sign someone like Hill or hopefully better. When it actually reaches the bargaining table, I believe it is KD that hammers out the contract details. He always strikes me as an affable guy that is all business when the time comes. We're in good hands and I expect as much of a win/win contract as Sam could get from any other team as well as something that can work for the Rams. Maybe too many of us are still skittish from the Shaw/Zygmunt clown show days and Georgia needing to squeeze every penny from the franchise to maintain her lifestyle and many suitors.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
So, do we think that Gilbert is done? Or is it possible that he continues to work and improves over the year and shows something in camp?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, do we think that Gilbert is done? Or is it possible that he continues to work and improves over the year and shows something in camp?
I don't know how anyone can say he's done. His career hasn't even started yet.