Les Snead: We Can’t Make An Emotional Decision on Bradford's Contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No, I don't believe those guys are available in the upcoming draft.

I could just as easily accuse you of wanting to draft another Jason Smith, Robert Gallery or Alex Barron, while pointing out the good QBs drafted outside of the top 10.

I'm not saying we should reach. Im saying we should find the QB we want and get him at all costs. It's our biggest need by far, and it's the primary thing keeping us out of the playoffs.

The o-line doesn't need a total revamp. We can survive with a FA center and a mid-round guard. But we can't survive another year of Bradford on IR and a #2 leading the offense.
There isn't a QB coming out in the draft that would lead the Rams to the playoffs in 2015. And giving up 2 or 3 pick to move into a position to draft a guy who is not the quality of Andrew Luck is just digging a deeper hole. There are still other positions on this team that need attention and we don't have 12 picks this year it is more like 5.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
There isn't a QB coming out in the draft that would lead the Rams to the playoffs in 2015. And giving up 2 or 3 pick to move into a position to draft a guy who is not the quality of Andrew Luck is just digging a deeper hole. There are still other positions on this team that need attention and we don't have 12 picks this year it is more like 5.

Do you really know that? I'd say Mariota or Winston could have a productive rookie year in the right setting. Maybe some of the other guys too.

Bradford, Dalton, RG3, Newton, Luck, Carr, Wilson, Kaep (practically a rook).... There have been a number of recent rookie performances that I'd take over what we got now. So what's with this tagline that a rookie QB can't help us ( so we might as well deal with another year of Bradford on IR)? Non-sense.

Fisher had the same problem in Tennessee. Always a good team that's a QB away from being really good. Enough already. Bite the bullet and make a bold move.

Enough of the stockpiling until a QB lands in our laps. It's not gonna happen. Luckily, Snead and Demoff have both expressed the desire to find a QB capable of starting 16 games and playing at a reasonable level. I have no doubt they'll get something bold done this offseason

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Winston is having a turnover plagued sophomore year from what I've read on here, 24 to 17 TD/INT ratio IIRC. How does that translate to NFL playoffs? Maybe Mariota, but isn't he a spread guy? If so, that doesn't really translate to NFL playoffs in 2015 either. It's not really relevant to talk about Bradford, RGIII, or Luck's rookie years simply due to the fact that there isn't a single QB in this class in the same ballpark as those guys as prospects. And they're not being drafted. I think it's very unlikely that any QB we draft will beat out Bradford or Hill if he's resigned in training camp. I think a trade for someone would be the best way to go, although that would be a long shot for most QBs.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Do you really know that? I'd say Mariota or Winston could have a productive rookie year in the right setting. Maybe some of the other guys too.

Bradford, Dalton, RG3, Newton, Luck, Carr, Wilson, Kaep (practically a rook).... There have been a number of recent rookie performances that I'd take over what we got now. So what's with this tagline that a rookie QB can't help us ( so we might as well deal with another year of Bradford on IR)? Non-sense.

Fisher had the same problem in Tennessee. Always a good team that's a QB away from being really good. Enough already. Bite the bullet and make a bold move.

Enough of the stockpiling until a QB lands in our laps. It's not gonna happen. Luckily, Snead and Demoff have both expressed the desire to find a QB capable of starting 16 games and playing at a reasonable level. I have no doubt they'll get something bold done this offseason

I'm not sure what you mean by stockpiling but I do know the best way to maintain quality players is to build from within your organization using the draft. It may not always be feasible because of the the cap but having quality guys learning behind starters and then moving in to those starting positions makes the most sense.

Getting Marriota is a pipe dream it would take our entire draft and then some. If he some how fell to us would I draft him sure but he is not going to give the Rams a better opportunity than a healthy Bradford. And from all indications Bradford will be back with the Rams in 2015. I would not tou0h Winston and as bad as he has looked he should stay in school for another year. Hundley could be a good project to sit behind Bradford for a year or two. But once again a healthy Sam gives the best chance for a successful playoff run in 2015.

Of course all of this is just my opinion and I have no direct input to what happens on the team, just like most of the posters here I'm just a fan.

BadCompany

Rookie
Getting Marriota is a pipe dream it would take our entire draft and then some. If he some how fell to us would I draft him sure but he is not going to give the Rams a better opportunity than a healthy Bradford. And from all indications Bradford will be back with the Rams in 2015. I would not tou0h Winston and as bad as he has looked he should stay in school for another year. Hundley could be a good project to sit behind Bradford for a year or two. But once again a healthy Sam gives the best chance for a successful playoff run in 2015.

While I agree that a healthy Bradford gives us the best chance for a successful 2015 playoff run I just cannot envision a future where Bradford is healthy for the next five years. Sorry, I just can't, and I'm a huge Bradford fan. If we assume that with the youth we have on this team that our "window" is in the next five years then you cannot assume Bradford is going to be that guy for all five years. He may very well be healthy for that time frame, in which case you have a nice problem with two QBs, but you CANNOT just hope that he will be. There HAS to be a Plan 1A.

I'm not a college scout so I don't know if Marriota is that guy. But if the scouting staff believes he is then I would move heaven and earth to get him, EVEN if he sits all next year behind Bradford. We are entering a window here, we can't miss it. If they think Hundley will be ready in two years then I'm okay with that too. But it HAS to be addressed.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While I agree that a healthy Bradford gives us the best chance for a successful 2015 playoff run I just cannot envision a future where Bradford is healthy for the next five years. Sorry, I just can't, and I'm a huge Bradford fan. If we assume that with the youth we have on this team that our "window" is in the next five years then you cannot assume Bradford is going to be that guy for all five years. He may very well be healthy for that time frame, in which case you have a nice problem with two QBs, but you CANNOT just hope that he will be. There HAS to be a Plan 1A.

I'm not a college scout so I don't know if Marriota is that guy. But if the scouting staff believes he is then I would move heaven and earth to get him, EVEN if he sits all next year behind Bradford. We are entering a window here, we can't miss it. If they think Hundley will be ready in two years then I'm okay with that too. But it HAS to be addressed.
I agree there has to be a better back up plan than the last two years and an eye toward the future. The team has progressed greatly over the last three drafts and I believe they have had a plan all along to address the different units over a long period. This years crop of QBs coming out doesn't look all that impressive, unfortunately the minor league system (NCAA) has moved away from developing NFL ready QBs and on to their own agenda of exciting football (can't blame them) this means teams have to have the talent on the staff to develop someone to play in the NFL. An extra 2 years learning how to make that transition is looking like more the norm in the near future. I hope our scouts and coaches can get it done, no matter what happens with Bradford there needs to be a young gun being developed to replace him.

StevenG-BR

Rookie

Dead on.

The window is open already. When you look at the games we should have won, it's clear that this was supposed to be a playoff year, but it was totally wasted thanks to the QB position. The window will only stay open for another two or three seasons, and some people want to waste one of those seasons hoping Bradford can defy all odds and stay healthy for once in his life. I just don't get it.

At least a rookie QB, even if he has rookie struggles, has a much better shot at staying healthy for 16 games and playing better than the backups we have now. We'll get him some playoff experience in 2015, and he'll be experienced and ripe for a SB run in 2016 and 2017. If we delay it, we'll end up drafting a rookie eventually down the road anyway, except by then we'll have a much smaller window to work with.