Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Squidhead

UDFA
Name
J
Very happy with this ... he was outstanding last year and a key piece for our D (including versatility and no red flags) ... plus he's in his prime along w/ AD and JR. Further, they have almost no depth with this position group... so no one even close to stepping up otherwise.

Go RAMS!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We already signed his 1st round tender today. He's back for like around $5M
I thought he could still be signed it would just cost the other team a first rounder? or am I misunderstanding? Either way I meant our ability to keep him long term.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We already signed his 1st round tender today. He's back for like around $5M
We designated his tender he hasn't signed it. He can negotiate with teams on a deal and we can match it or take a 1st round pick. Williams is not a Ram atm just offered a tender.

btfd16

Rookie
I thought he could still be signed it would just cost the other team a first rounder? or am I misunderstanding? Either way I meant our ability to keep him long term.
He can, but if I'm remembering correctly, no one has ever given up a first for an RFA in NFL history.

Shuie3225

Starter
Is this true though?

Player A: 55 tackles, 11 TFL, 19 QB hits, 10.5 sacks
Player B: 58 tackles, 16 TFL, 16 QB hits, 11.5 sacks

I think it's pretty obvious who they are and what I am getting at, but I really do believe another EDGE could do just that. I need to see the actual details, but surface level, it's an overpay to me.

No its not true, there's a number of guys that can do what Floyd does but maybe we weren't having successful talks with them? Its the only thing I can think of. It's an overpay to me as well, given how paying less for another edge would've likely netted the same amount of sacks and given us a 3rd round comp pick next year. Floyd's performance was a product of AD getting the attention he does, not because Floyd is that great. Wish we would've gone a different route here.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm yur huckleberry... ~ Blythe

CmUWVLq.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/14ooolmDKfgrO8/giphy.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My annual post when FA begins and the Rams get involved:

Free agency is expensive for all teams who play. What did you expect? Lol

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I sure hope there’s funky money, low guaranteed $$ and hard to reach escalators involved.

One big positive from this is we no longer need to take an OLB/edge with our first pick. Draft me some More OLs now

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We want bargains on the first day of FA, dammit!

btfd16

Rookie

I guess I'm just looking at Romeo Okwara and Yannick for 13 per and Shaq Barrett at 17... I see Floyd much more as the formers than the latter.

Shuie3225

Starter
We designated his tender he hasn't signed it. He can negotiate with teams on a deal and we can match it or take a 1st round pick. Williams is not a Ram atm just offered a tender.

When was the last time a team gave up a 1st round pick to sign a RFA? Its extremely rare and it won't happen with Williams. But if it does happen we'll take the 1st rounder this year and move on with life.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When was the last time a team gave up a 1st round pick to sign a UFA? Its extremely rare and it won't happen with Williams. But if it does happen we'll take the 1st rounder this year and move on with life.
Thank you for the insight Nostradamus :D

Nobody knows what is going to happen this offseason. Did you think this would happen? Him resigning is far from a certain thing but I sure hope he does but for now he's not signed with the Rams.

View: https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1371541116974198784?s=12

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm a bit surprised the Rams got this done. Expensive but that's his market value and now we don't have to plug in a new (unproven/unknown) guy.

I do like that they've got three impact players at three levels of the defense locked up though. They've done well filling in the gaps via UDFA and mid to late draft picks.

btfd16

Rookie
We still could, but I would think this alters the draft strategy in the 2nd round at least. IOL? ILB? Plz.