Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams tell us Floyd is the complete package for the team.

@FrantikRam focuses solely on the pass rush.

We get it man, you're not happy the Rams paid him all that money. It's more than pass rushing. I would have thought you knew that watching Matthews and fowler playing for the Rams.

Matthews isn't in the same conversation. I think he's about the same as Fowler - worse pass rusher, better run defender, about the same overall. I felt the Falcons overpaid Fowler so I'd be a hypocrite if I was just happy with the move.

I do see the positives - one less position to worry about replacing and he is a good player. I just hope AD can help him get even better.

This is $16 million we could have spent on any number of FAs - so for that money the Rams need him to be better than he was last year.

And even with that, this defense is going to be worse. Number one defenses typically regress the next year anyways, factor in losing JJ and it's an uphill battle. Offense is going to have to pick up the slack.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fowler, Matthews, Quinn (later years) and even Suh to an extent, were primarily 1 trick ponies, and therefore expendable and replaceable.
Floyd may not be a top tier pass rusher, and his sacks likely due to the Donald effect, but he is a much more complete player than any of the other folks.
Rams are planting some serious stakes in the ground who can elevate guys around them.
QB- Stafford is the complete player, can make up for some deficiencies with play calls/reading D/o-line calls
RB- Akers is the real deal, can rotate players B&C
WR- 2 headed monster can fill in prove it guys
Dline- The GOAT, nuff said
OLB/Edge- Floyd is an ironman, a + player for less experienced guys to learn from
CB- The "potential" GOAT Ramsey, also nuff said

O-line missing that anchor IMO, Whit is a warrior but time is not on his side
ILB is shaky but more due to availability not play ability (I plagiarized this from someone, cant remember who, my bad
We are reaching the point (without the cheating of course) that they fill in the gaps with plug and play Pats type shit.
Rookies, 1 year guys, cheap vet re-treads etc

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we can figure out how to keep Terrell Lewis healthy, our edges will be hard to handle.
Not sure how all that went into the overall mix in making the decision to resign OLB'er Floyd & @ the high cost sucking up $$$ from the Rams future salary ......but I am positive that Rams Org. misfiring selection of an unhealthy damaged OLB'er Terrell Lewis had a bigger role than most realize.

In addition to the above situation, Snead's top signed OLB'er before being able to sign Floyd was Okoronkwo. He was selected in 2018 missed his first season & in the last two seasons he has been on the injury list constantly. Og Okoronkwo's health also played into the decision to resign Floyd. Since Okoronkwo was drafted he has only 18 tacks & 2 1/2 sacks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Man, when it's a knee injury that isn't a tear or something else I get freaky... the "inflammation" thing or something else, that stuff just never seems to go away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm already steeling myself that Lewis was a swing and a miss. Even if he's not, it sounds like the Rams have already resigned themselves to the fact that he'll prob be a rotational guy that will have to be kept on a pitch count.
I agree. Rams trainers & physicians will be real busy with Lewis's knee for a while. Guessing he will be more of a designated pass rusher behind Floyd or involved as a DE in new DC Morris like for a four-man DL defense.

I would not be surprised when the new 2021 size/lbs are posted that Lewis comes up in @ a much bigger weight than last season's 262 lbs. That will not help that knee either. If the knee was something that could have been fixed the Rams would have done that last season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Fowler, Matthews, Quinn (later years) and even Suh to an extent, were primarily 1 trick ponies, and therefore expendable and replaceable.
Floyd may not be a top tier pass rusher, and his sacks likely due to the Donald effect, but he is a much more complete player than any of the other folks.
Rams are planting some serious stakes in the ground who can elevate guys around them.
QB- Stafford is the complete player, can make up for some deficiencies with play calls/reading D/o-line calls
RB- Akers is the real deal, can rotate players B&C
WR- 2 headed monster can fill in prove it guys
Dline- The GOAT, nuff said
OLB/Edge- Floyd is an ironman, a + player for less experienced guys to learn from
CB- The "potential" GOAT Ramsey, also nuff said

O-line missing that anchor IMO, Whit is a warrior but time is not on his side
ILB is shaky but more due to availability not play ability (I plagiarized this from someone, cant remember who, my bad
We are reaching the point (without the cheating of course) that they fill in the gaps with plug and play Pats type shit.
Rookies, 1 year guys, cheap vet re-treads etc

Fortunately we do have guys who can elevate the players around them. That's the team philosophy and it's a good one imo. They will all need to stay healthy and step up.

Rams are also losing players on both sides of the ball. Arguably none of the players lost are critical, and we avoided what I thought would be a significant hit to the D by resigning Floyd.

But there is a cumulative loss of depth and more than a few holes to fill. For example, center. It's not a given that we can even resign Blythe (though I suspect Rams may intend to match any offer he gets.) The draft will be important and as you say so will be finding the best bargain vets we can.

Hopefully we can add one more impact player with the remaining cap space. I expect offense, but if we could get someone like CB Jackson who could really strengthen the D that might be the choice too.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and where I think fans get confused is due to the role for the OLBs. There are two different types of OLBs IMO.

Blindside guys are the ones who get the big bucks. Even if you're middle of the pack you can look forward to a job and good pay for your career. Hell teams will try to keep you around just on the chance you can have a one year resurgence if you have a good career as a blindside guy look at Quinn.

Strongside guys are the ones who mostly handle the TEs and extra responsibilities for run and contain that extend out of that strong side. The have to be stout at the point but also move well enough to keep that contain. This is where Floyd is he's a strongside edge. And normally they don't get paid well but he's an elite strongside edge. You're always gonna pay for an elite guy on the market. There just aren't that many guys who possess the physical tools that Floyd has, the size and ranginess but also the movement.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LA Rams lucky sneaky Giants fell short for FA OLB Leonard Floyd (ramblinfan.com)
LA Rams lucky sneaky Giants fell short for FA OLB Leonard Floyd

When the LA Rams defeated the New York Giants in 2020, I had three takeaways that were so burned into my brain, that I still recall that game. I recall thinking how that game was far closer than I felt it should have been. I recall thinking that either the Rams defense was elite, or the Giants’ offense was putrid. And I recall thinking that the Giants linebackers, and for that matter, their linebackers’ coaching staff, were at the top of their game.

Yes, the Rams won that game by a score of 17-9. It was the Rams’ second home game at empty SoFi Stadium, and it proved to be a defensive contest. QB Jared Goff completed plenty of short routes, 25 of 32 passing for 200 yards and a touchdown. But the Rams running game was non-existent, grinding out just 58 yards but did manage a two-yard touchdown from TE Gerald Everett.

Giants linebackers Blake Martinez, Kyler Fackrell, and Devante Downs were crisp and executed brilliantly on that Sunday afternoon. And they did so well enough to keep the Giants in the game until the closing minutes.

Rams’ free agency: OLB Leonard Floyd was targeted
But in the course of free agency, it seems that the Giants are not content with good. They want to be great, and they had their sights set on the player who could deliver that for their defense. None other than LA Rams OLB Leonard Floyd. Some said that the Rams overpaid for Floyd. Hmmm?

At the time of Leonard Floyd’s signing, the market price for Floyd had already been set by Tampa Bay Buccaneers and outside linebacker Shaquil Barrett on a four-year deal worth $68 million and guaranteeing $36 million for the ceiling, and by Ravens Matt Judon, who came off a year with six sacks and 50 tackles. He agreed to terms with the New England Patriots for a four-year deal worth $56 million and guaranteeing $32 million. Floyd landed at four-years and $64 million.

Some commenters were upset that the Rams spent so much to keep Floyd. Well, the reality is that he was just a tad more expensive than RFA Darious Williams, His cap hit for 2021 is just $5.5 million, a ridiculously small amount to bring back one of the defense’s lynchpin players.

More bang for the buck
I get it. The fact is that with few dollars there is always hope to squeeze a little bit more into that budget. But Floyd’s fit was so well suited for the Rams’ needs that it’s hard to envision anyone else picking up the role that quickly, that completely. And yet, Floyd did with minimal time in 2020.

That helps me to believe that Floyd will play even better in 2021. Yes, his 2020 season was his first ‘breakout’ year, but the forces leading up to last year’s season were very limiting. No preseason games, no physical OTA’s, a minimal training camp with NFL directed sessions. And after all that, Floyd went out and dominated on a new defense with a new scheme?

Measuring Floyd’s impact in 2020 comes down to this. The same defensive line, same defensive backs (plus S Jordan Fuller), and same linebacking group? The middle-of-the-pack defense suddenly led the NFL. Yes, some of that was the new scheme of DC Brandon Staley, but it was clear that Floyd was an enforcer on the outside of the Rams’ defense. And returning for his second year with the Rams should prove to be an even better year for him.

There were good reasons for the New York Giants to push hard to land Leonard Floyd in free agency. Thankfully, they fell short at that just as they had in the 2020 season matchup against the Rams.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
LA Rams lucky sneaky Giants fell short for FA OLB Leonard Floyd (ramblinfan.com)
LA Rams lucky sneaky Giants fell short for FA OLB Leonard Floyd

Excellent post! As this story has it:

"Measuring Floyd’s impact in 2020 comes down to this. The same defensive line, same defensive backs (plus S Jordan Fuller), and same linebacking group? The middle-of-the-pack defense suddenly led the NFL. Yes, some of that was the new scheme of DC Brandon Staley, but it was clear that Floyd was an enforcer on the outside of the Rams’ defense."

Last edited:

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice contract for Floyd! Congrats on that $$$

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cornerstones geared toward long term deals;

Stafford
Woods
Kupp

Donald
Ramsey
Floyd

Not a shabby core to continually build around the next few years. (y)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If all we were doing was paying for an edge rushers, sure, we overpaid.

But Floyd is a total package OLB and was a huge reason we were the #1 defense.
Keep Donald, Floyd, Ramsey and Williams together and our other players will succeed around them.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Floyd is that complete player. If they can find one more above average pass rusher, they can stay dominant on defense. As others above have said, Floyd's movement skills are rare. Even better though, he plays with effort every down. He's a natural competitor that mixes with AD very well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If all we were doing was paying for an edge rushers, sure, we overpaid.

But Floyd is a total package OLB and was a huge reason we were the #1 defense.
Keep Donald, Floyd, Ramsey and Williams together and our other players will succeed around them.
Floyd is that complete player. If they can find one more above average pass rusher, they can stay dominant on defense. As others above have said, Floyd's movement skills are rare. Even better though, he plays with effort every down. He's a natural competitor that mixes with AD very well.

The Floyd signing has been debated pretty good, here. But... damn, I watched a few replays over the weekend and I think I took his potential departure too lightly.

I am surprised we retained him, dollar wise felt like a stretch... But freak he is a HUGE piece. Huge! His edge is a tough one to get past.

He is so “wide”.

Speed to chase you down... wing span to make it difficult to throw past. The whole package.

He gets you like this, you’re done:

A1BFCF12-A118-4E6D-BB03-3B862F80237B.png

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1374101112433774592?s=21

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The Floyd signing has been debated pretty good, here. But... damn, I watched a few replays over the weekend and I think I took his potential departure too lightly.

I am surprised we retained him, dollar wise felt like a stretch... But freak he is a HUGE piece. Huge! His edge is a tough one to get past.

He is so “wide”.

Speed to chase you down... wing span to make it difficult to throw past. The whole package.

He gets you like this, you’re done:

View attachment 44515

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1374101112433774592?s=21

He's so lanky and gives mobile QBs such a fit. Sure, they're better pass rushing EDGE rushers out there, but there's not many Elite Run Defending EDGE with a nice pass rush.. and that's Floyd. He's so dangerous against mobile QBs because of his length and speed. Dude really is an athletic freak.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is $16 million we could have spent on any number of FAs - so for that money the Rams need him to be better than he was last year.

Thing is though, we now have Floyd signed for 4 years, and by the time his contract starts closing out, this deal might just look like a real bargain once the CAP gets jacked up again for the entire league.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is though, we now have Floyd signed for 4 years, and by the time his contract starts closing out, this deal might just look like a real bargain once the CAP gets jacked up again for the entire league.

On that front, I agree 100%

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Leonard Floyd wanted to stay with Donald and Ramsey, motivated to win a ring (yahoo.com)

Leonard Floyd wanted to stay with Donald and Ramsey, motivated to win a ring
  • Cameron DaSilva
  • Thu, March 25, 2021, 4:00 PM·
1616718068733.png

Leonard Floyd
bet on himself with a one-year deal last offseason, joining the Rams after four seasons with the Bears. It proved to be a good bet because he enjoyed a career-best season, leading to a new four-year contract worth $64 million with the Rams this offseason.

He was a priority for the Rams and they weren’t going to let him get away in free agency. Floyd was also motivated to return to Los Angeles where he found an abundance of success with his new team.
On Thursday, he spoke to the media for the first time since signing his extension, sharing why he wanted to stay with the Rams in 2021. He mentioned Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey as reasons for sticking in L.A., saying he’s determined to win a ring

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "Last Leonard Floyd quote I'll share before working on my story: "My driving motivation is to get the ring, especially after last year. I felt like we could have got the ring just on defense alone. I feel like if I come back in with that mindset, we can do some big things in L.A."" / Twitter

Brandon Staley is no longer with the Rams after being hired as the Chargers’ head coach. However, Sean McVay is still in Los Angeles and he played a role in Floyd’s return.

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "OLB Leonard Floyd on why he wanted to return to the Rams: "I wanted to play with AD and Jalen Ramsey. I wanted to run it back. We were the best defense in the league last year."" / Twitter

Floyd said he loves playing for McVay and was itching to play throughout the week, in part because of the meetings McVay had leading up to Sundays.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I like in his recent presser when asked if he had talked to Staley about going with him to the Chargers, he said they both made hints about it but at the end of the day Staley knew that Floyd wanted to stay with McVay.

Shows how much McVay is generally loved.