Les Snead Evaluates Rams’ Wide Receivers –video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
ill agree that we need to be a little more patient, most WRs don't really do much till the third or fourth season and guess what, no one is in their fourth season yet, most only two seasons. if the all go according to schedule, next season you should see major improvement out of this unit.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ill agree that we need to be a little more patient, most WRs don't really do much till the third or fourth season and guess what, no one is in their fourth season yet, most only two seasons. if the all go according to schedule, next season you should see major improvement out of this unit.

I think it would have been nice to have one veteran presence to tutor these guys.

These guys are learning on the fly, but who is to say that they are learning the right way?

nighttrain

Legend
I think it would have been nice to have one veteran presence to tutor these guys.

These guys are learning on the fly, but who is to say that they are learning the right way?
just a theory, but isn't that what Sherman is for?
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see this Ram 6 receiver cadre as vastly under performing unit. I do not see it as a weak, barren absent of NFL caliber talent that would deem the the Ram org. to rush to insert new costly UFA's or use a priceless high valued draft selection. What I see is a extremely talented cadre that has a very large amount of latent NFL talent.

#1-Jared Cook is entering his 6th NFL season & second as a Ram. I want to believe that Snead, Fisher & Shotty will see Jared much more as WR type Calvin Johnson & Vincent Jackson or a hybrid combo TE Jimmy Graham than a LOS blocking TE like a Matthew Mulligan or Cory Harkey type. I would hope to see Jared used in a serious way in the receiving side playing way down-field in the middle in Sam's passing game.

#2-Austin Pettis is entering into his 4th & final season as a Ram. We know he is not a starting WR, his game is best in the slot & working the red zone.

#3-Quick & #4-Givens both 24 yrs old enter their 3rd Ram training camp. Both are half way thru their 4 yr. contract time is now. Givens has been the Rams starting WR the last two seasons. Givens took several steps back wards in 2013 & looks to be the Rams first reserve WR going into this season. Quick has the great size, the speed and the ability to be a starting WR. I look for him to make vast improvement this season and bee seen on the field much more.

2nd yr receivers 23 yrd old #5-Stedman Bailey & 22 yr old #6-Tavon Austin both have had some special games during their rookie seasons. Bailey going into his second yr looks to be our main wide out once Sam discovers what Studman can do. Bailey can do it all, blocks, super soft strong large hands, tough as a cement nail, feisty , smart & loves to play in all 16 games. TA played some Wide Out, some Slot & a little bit @ RB, mostly as a punt returner. I would like to see TA used as the Rams starting slot with some of RB Darren Sproles type plays out of the back field running & pass receiving.

What I see Sam Brandford using a combination of receiving talents of a quartet Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Stedman Bailey & Brian Quick in a passing offense if the OL is fixed for Sneads desired physical Ram team. We heard Snead once again say that the Rams will not have a #1 type of WR in their offense but a outstanding great mixer of all kinds of receiver talent to be used across the receiving spectrum. A #1 WR is not what he & Fisher are working towards in their offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Mm Michelle Smallmon is one finnnnne woman. Even better in person.

RamEERS

Pastor
prime example why Snead is the GM and the rest should stick to madden.. you don't keep replacing one position if they unperform one year... whether it's WR or any other positions... if we keep drafting one position year after year, the other positions will suffer

RFIP

The biggest mistake during the Bradford era was never getting the guy a GOOD veteran wr to not only help the young QB but to also bring along some of these young wr.

Almost criminal really.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The biggest mistake during the Bradford era was never getting the guy a GOOD veteran wr to not only help the young QB but to also bring along some of these young wr.

Almost criminal really.
Like who? You have to consider that his first year, there was ongoing CBA negotiations that kept RFAs from becoming UFAs, but they still got Mark Clayton (veteran). In 2011, there wasn't anyone who was good enough (AND cheap enough) to sign, but they got Lloyd as soon as he came available. In 2012, it didn't appear he really needed anyone because Amendola and Gibson were emerging, but they did bank on Steve Smith (NYG) repeating his 2009 campaign. Unfortunately that didn't come to fruition.

It's not that the FO was negligible. It's that their options were extremely limited.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Like who? You have to consider that his first year, there was ongoing CBA negotiations that kept RFAs from becoming UFAs, but they still got Mark Clayton (veteran). In 2011, there wasn't anyone who was good enough (AND cheap enough) to sign, but they got Lloyd as soon as he came available. In 2012, it didn't appear he really needed anyone because Amendola and Gibson were emerging, but they did bank on Steve Smith (NYG) repeating his 2009 campaign. Unfortunately that didn't come to fruition.

It's not that the FO was negligible. It's that their options were extremely limited.
Great point. But now... there's Maclin. He might come 'relatively' cheap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
prime example why Snead is the GM and the rest should stick to madden.. you don't keep replacing one position if they unperform one year... whether it's WR or any other positions... if we keep drafting one position year after year, the other positions will suffer

Go back the last three drafts 2011-2012-2013 what positions have the Rams drafted days one & two?
WR's Four ! two starters
DB's Three all starters
RB's One reserve
TE's One starter
LB'er One starter
DE One starter
DT One starter
QB-Zero
OT-Zero
OG-Zero
OC-Zero

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i get the feeling that wr in the 1st round ain't happening this season.

I wouldn't mind not drafting a first round WR, I do think Quick, Givens and Cook have been disappointing but I want to see what Tavon and Bailey can do if given a full season with Sam.

That said if we end up drafting Jordan Matthews I'd be rather happy.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This draft is loaded with WRs. But Watkins is the king.

Not saying how they are gonna do it, but I consider the OL to be more important than adding Watkins. Bradford is no use to anyone if he's broken again.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This draft is loaded with WRs. But Watkins is the king.

Not saying how they are gonna do it, but I consider the OL to be more important than adding Watkins. Bradford is no use to anyone if he's broken again.

I think we are all in agreement that the line needs to be addressed. It is what rounds it gets addressed is the big disagreement. The Rams seemingly believe that these needs can be taken care of in later rounds.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Guys... Snead "gets it". This front office hasn't won yet, but hold on tight. It's about to get real fun around here.

RFIP

I know I'm new here but I was ALL IN to go get Garcon last year, over pay, WHATEVER it took. Instead Jeff over paid for ex-Titans.

And Gibson was never "emerging", he hit his level and that is of a #4 NFL wr. Danny was Danny, all heart and guts but he scared no one. Loved the guy though.

F. Mulder

Starter
Les can play up the whole "youth" at WR position and I agree with him on some of it, but even he has to recognize that besides Austin probably "getting it" next year, the rest are still unproven. I think he, and Ram fans, could live without a Pettis, or even a hard decision on either Givens or Quick at the expense of getting a game changing WR. The Watkins/Evans idea has some merit to me. Of course so does the OL and DB so what do I know! Hey, let's get all 3!