Late 70's Party Beers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have spoken to younger friends who have no idea what the beer selections were in the late 1970's. Different areas had different beers available. The premise of Smokey and the Bandit movie, was taking illegal Coors east of the Mississippi to a Big Enos party in Georgia, I believe.

In Northern California, the beer for many of the HS parties was Michelob. There was no Michelob lite or ultra or anything like that. There was Budweiser and Miller High Life The imported beers of choice were Heineken, Lowenbrau and Becks, and God they sucked. I believe they had formaldehyde as a preservative in them. Yes, there was Coors and Hamms, but who drank that shit?

When I went to boot camp in Illinois in the early 80's they had Little Kings, Strohs, Mickeys, Red Stripe, and Grolsch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Schaefer or Old Milwaukee were pretty prevalent on the scene back then. Or PBR of course. Mom drank Miller Lite.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Schaefer or Old Milwaukee were pretty prevalent on the scene back then. Or PBR of course. Mom drank Miller Lite.
Did you live in SoCal at the time? Where I lived (near Sacramento), Michelob was the beer of choice, and now it's hard to find in Kansas..... I believe that I had heard of PBR, but never drank it. Old Milwaukee was a beer that I saw only when much older...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Back then, Dads only drank 1 type of beer.....all the time....the same beer, every time.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Olympia, Hamms, Schlitz, High Life... nowadays tho, “I don’t usually drink pilsners, but when I do I prefer PBR” :biggrin:

love my IPAs, whichever’s on sale, I like them all

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Olympia, Hamms, Schlitz, High Life... nowadays tho, “I don’t usually drink pilsners, but when I do I prefer PBR” :biggrin:

love my IPAs, whichever’s on sale, I like them all
Party beers, man. Maybe I'm all uppity and shyte, but I never drank those at a HS school party...A guy has to have his standards, even in Orange County
dokwuXV.gif

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Party beers, man. Maybe I'm all uppity and shyte, but I never drank those at a HS school party...A guy has to have his standards, even in Orange County
dokwuXV.gif
Thought we were talking 70’s haha, when there was only one Tequila, Cuervo Freaking Gold?

Beer was beer, then along came Heinekens, woohoo skunky shit, lol, the rest is history

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Did you live in SoCal at the time? Where I lived (near Sacramento), Michelob was the beer of choice, and now it's hard to find in Kansas..... I believe that I had heard of PBR, but never drank it. Old Milwaukee was a beer that I saw only when much older...
Florida. PBR was harder to come by, but you could funnel Old Milwaukee and Schafer like it was nothing. Cheap as hell too. $1.99 a six pack. You know you’re a degenerate when you roll pennies to buy beer.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Florida. PBR was harder to come by, but you could funnel Old Milwaukee and Schafer like it was nothing. Cheap as hell too. $1.99 a six pack.
How about Yuengling Black & Tan? I kinda love that stuff...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How about Yuengling Black & Tan? I kinda love that stuff...
I dunno. Never tried it. If I do drink beer it’s usually Ronas with lime. If I don’t drink beer, it’s usually Irish whiskey or a fat spliff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My dad drank Genesee Cream Ale when I was a kid, that was my reward for spending the day doing yard work on hot summer days.... High school was predominantly keg parties, but for tailgating/liquid lunch, Lowey Nips were the shizzle (Lowenbrau)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My dad drank Genesee Cream Ale when I was a kid, that was my reward for spending the day doing yard work on hot summer days.... High school was predominantly keg parties, but for tailgating/liquid lunch, Lowey Nips were the shizzle (Lowenbrau)
They must have started brewing that Lowenbrau in the USA by then, I swear, Lownbrau in the 70's was as nasty as that shyte Adrian Cronauer scowled at Jimmy's in Viet Nam..."Formal-dee-hyde" was the secret ingredient

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
When I went to boot camp in Illinois in the early 80's they had Little Kings, Strohs, Mickeys, Red Stripe, and Grolsch.

Stroh's, baby!

BTW, when were you in boot camp? I was in RTC Great Lakes Nov-Dec 1982, and was over at NTC from Jan-Mar 1983. We might have crossed paths and never known it.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Drank "Old Style" in high school and then switched up to Stroh's in college. Have to use picture of an old can from the 70's.
5459756.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stroh's, baby!

BTW, when were you in boot camp? I was in RTC Great Lakes Nov-Dec 1982, and was over at NTC from Jan-Mar 1983. We might have crossed paths and never known it.
We did. I was at RTC Great Lakes from Jan.9, 1983 for 8 weeks (Company 014) Company Commodes were BT1 Bautista and HT1 Rauer

I was at NTC Great Lakes for BEE and ET "A" school from Mar. 1983 to April-May 1984.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
In my early 20's worked for a beer distributor that handled Old Milwaukee, Schlitz - Stroh bought them out and launched in Arkansas when I worked there.

Ran the keg route...delivered to the strip clubs.

Moosehead! Sold a shit ton of Moosehead.

They gave me the import route because I could pronounce Pilsner Urquell, LOL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my early 20's worked for a beer distributor that handled Old Milwaukee, Schlitz - Stroh bought them out and launched in Arkansas when I worked there.

Ran the keg route...delivered to the strip clubs.

Moosehead! Sold a shit ton of Moosehead.

They gave me the import route because I could pronounce Pilsner Urquell, LOL.
Forgot Moosehead, but that was uppitty Canuck beer...;p;