Langford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Conrath and Carrington have both been sub-par this pre-season. When they talk about the 7 person DL rotation, these guys are not mentioned, and it's just as well. Conrath (in theory) is the better run defender, Carrington historically the better pass rusher pre-injury. Neither are getting any penetration or getting off their blocks this pre-season, and they're getting the lions share of snaps. Between their poor play and the glaring gap left by Laurinaitis, it's not surprising to see the run D suffer. Between the two, Carrington seems most likely to make the roster, Conrath seems destined for... not.

I watched Langford pretty closely against Green Bay. He didn't flash a lot, but he did what he does which is dominate his gap. I'm not worried about him.

Brockers is a monster, esp against the run. He practiced today. So I'm not worried about him.

Donald... certainly has his moments, but I do worry about him a bit. He'll never be a massive run stuffer, and will need a big body like Brockers to complement him. But his big play ability from the 3-tech, both TFLs and QB pressure, priceless.

~~~

I have found myself wondering who I'd rather have on the game day roster between Carrington and Westbrooks. From what I've seen so far, I'm leaning towards Westbrooks, even if that means 5 DEs and 3 DTs, where William Hayes would take extra DT snaps (backed up by Westbrooks).

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Both Langford and Brockers have missed time due to injury this preseason. And prior to his limited preseason stints, Carrington hadn't played since September 2013. We hope he is "still" a very good player.

Meanwhile Conrath is a project, who only played in about 8 games last year. If he were a decent 2nd stringer then chances are Carrington, or maybe even Donald, would not have even been added to the roster.
Or chances are that we didn't know Donald would fall to us in the draft. Carrington and Conrath have and will have plenty of time to learn and develop and be a benefeit when these guys (Brockers) contract come up here soon.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Langford graded out pretty well in PFF last year and had just as many sacks as Brockers. Not sure where the concern is coming from

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

But only 1 QB plays at a time. We relied on rookies in the secondary because we were rebuilding and we had to. The rebuild is over. We need Langford much more than a poor draft pick IMO. We can worry about it in the off season, when we know what we have in Carrington and Conrath, and after we make the playoffs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Or chances are that we didn't know Donald would fall to us in the draft. Carrington and Conrath have and will have plenty of time to learn and develop and be a benefeit when these guys (Brockers) contract come up here soon.

Carrington, if he even makes the team, only signed a one year deal. He could be gone before anyone's contract comes up. And having plenty of time to learn and develop doesn't guarantee success. For example, Jason Smith had plenty of time to learn and develop, but he never did.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Carrington, if he even makes the team, only signed a one year deal. He could be gone before anyone's contract comes up. And having plenty of time to learn and develop doesn't guarantee success. For example, Jason Smith had plenty of time to learn and develop, but he never did.

Good post. Never trade a proven for next years low tier gamble when hunting the playoffs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Langford solidifies the run !!! Since he & Brockers have been playing together the Rams defense has been solid against the run without great LBing play.
Donald has been playing on the right side for the most part next to Langford .Look at all GB's runs.They were all at Donald.I watched film on the game just now.Langford gets a bad rap.BTW --Chris Long Looks Great!!! Quinn rushes wide every play leaving a huge running lane.Brockers helps Quinn out so much.
Donald will probably line up on the left side for Langford on 3rd dns.
--Carriker

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He's the starting left tackle and will stay at that spot, does a not of things well. Last year had 2nd most stuffs among all defenders according to Rams coaches, had 26 hits/hurries, year before he was like 3rd or 4th. He does a tought, grind-it-out job.

Rams did have 4 bad games versus the run where they allowed over 5 yards a carry and 200 yards. But hey also had 12 games where they allowed only 3.4 yards a carry (a team record that beats the Foursome and the D;s of the 1970s) and allowed under 90. 3 of the 4 bad games were early then they did get schemed versus Tenny. However, Langford was part of the defense that allwed 3.7 yards a carry and was 3rd in NFL and also about 3rd in sacks.
Interesting, you have me wondering about those games we performed poorly against the rush at how many of those runs were outside the tackle?

My memory is fuzzy, but it seems to me that we struggled in that area.