Kyle Orton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The "real" Kyle Orton tonight? Man, how bad was Manuel playing if he got benched for...whatever good they see in Orton?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I liked the idea of bringing Orton in when he was available and Hill was hurt. He has done ok but most of his numbers this year came in one game against the Jets. No scores in 7+ quarters now against 2 good defenses.

Like others have said he can manage a game and usually won't kill the team with bad turn overs but he was a little jumpy last night and Watkins was not a factor even when he was open.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Most agree Bradford was having a great year last year, Ortons numbers are even better this year than Bradfords were through the same number of games.
IF Orton is all that good, Why can't he get it into the end-zone, once he gets into the red-zone!? Bradford does!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I didn't say Manuel was a first round talent nor did I say that everyone in the NFL thought he was, I said that Buffalo reached for him because they "needed" to draft a QB in the first round. Their draft was dictated by need instead of taking a player that was right for their system and a value where he was picked.

Which seems to be a popular mantra for Rams fans lately even though that's not what they mean. No one would intentionally draft a player(QB) they didn't think was going to work out but adopting the attitude that "come hell or high water" the Rams HAVE to draft a QB in the first round in 2015 is what many teams have done to waste a first round pick, in this particular case, the Bills.

If the Rams see a QB they think is worthy of a first round pick and they can get him, then by all means go for it. But there are bright red flags surrounding most of the QB's that could be in next year's draft and the Rams don't have a lot of draft resources to work with. Spending one of those picks on a "meh" QB would be a mistake IMO.

Considering what they just gave up to get...dang, forgot his name, the safety, I predict the Rams will be trading their first and/or second round pick to get more picks anyway.
To be fair...you said he was the best of what was available. I think it was widely believed he wasn't the best QB in the draft...though the guy that was certainly isn't any better, not even close.

Your point is well made though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "real" Kyle Orton tonight? Man, how bad was Manuel playing if he got benched for...whatever good they see in Orton?
Yes that loud screeching sound you heard coming from the East was sound of the wheels flying off the Kyle Orton fan bus...

V3

Hall of Fame
Most agree Bradford was having a great year last year, Ortons numbers are even better this year than Bradfords were through the same number of games.
Great? No. Good? Yes. He was efficient, that's about it. Pretty much Alex Smith without the mobility.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That game looked like a Rams game: Bills move efficiently on offense, but settle for FGs.

Defense plays extremely well, but a terrible call on by the refs hands Miami a TD on that PI, and then another one the drive where the Miami player's knee was down before the ball crossed the line.

Oh and that grounding call looked pretty BS to me as well. I thought a receiver supposed to be in the area? Sammy Watkins was right there.

moklerman

Warner-phile
To be fair...you said he was the best of what was available. I think it was widely believed he wasn't the best QB in the draft...though the guy that was certainly isn't any better, not even close.

Your point is well made though.
Who was/is considered the best? EJ Manuel was the first and only QB taken in the first round of a really bad QB draft. I guess Glennon's performed the best at the NFL level but none of them were really worthy of a first round pick.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Who was/is considered the best? EJ Manuel was the first and only QB taken in the first round of a really bad QB draft. I guess Glennon's performed the best at the NFL level but none of them were really worthy of a first round pick.
At the time Geno Smith was most definitely believed to be the best QB in the draft. When the Bills selected Manuel everyone was stunned.

Clearly neither has risen to the top at all in retrospect.

moklerman

Warner-phile
At the time Geno Smith was most definitely believed to be the best QB in the draft. When the Bills selected Manuel everyone was stunned.

Clearly neither has risen to the top at all in retrospect.
Well, in that regard I think the Bills were actually smarter than the pundits so maybe they deserve a tiny slice of credit. Who knows? Maybe Manuel actually becomes serviceable at some point if he's allowed to sit for a while. Starting him right away wasn't the answer. Maybe they'll be lucky and benched him before he got ruined.

Hard to imagine the 2015 draft being as bad as 2013 in terms of QB's but to me, it's one of those situations where if you have to ask, you've already got your answer. IMO, is there a franchise QB that is clearly the best of this upcoming class? No, not really.

And, just to be a broken record, I'd rather take a chance on Bradford's health for 2015 than roll the dice on one of these QB's. Spend that first round pick on a guy who can come in relatively quickly and contribute and give Bradford and this regime the best chance possible in 2015. Because a rookie QB won't give them that and I have a hard time imagining them starting over at QB in 2015 and still being around by 2016.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well, in that regard I think the Bills were actually smarter than the pundits so maybe they deserve a tiny slice of credit. Who knows? Maybe Manuel actually becomes serviceable at some point if he's allowed to sit for a while. Starting him right away wasn't the answer. Maybe they'll be lucky and benched him before he got ruined.

Hard to imagine the 2015 draft being as bad as 2013 in terms of QB's but to me, it's one of those situations where if you have to ask, you've already got your answer. IMO, is there a franchise QB that is clearly the best of this upcoming class? No, not really.

And, just to be a broken record, I'd rather take a chance on Bradford's health for 2015 than roll the dice on one of these QB's. Spend that first round pick on a guy who can come in relatively quickly and contribute and give Bradford and this regime the best chance possible in 2015. Because a rookie QB won't give them that and I have a hard time imagining them starting over at QB in 2015 and still being around by 2016.

Ehh...I don't think any draft is the same. I also remember there were debates over Manning/Leaf back in the day.

I'm fine with Bradford, I am a Bradford fan. But it would be foolish to go in with Bradford and Davis expecting Bradford to be the guy. I'd rather see some other contingency plan. A real prospect + Bradford + Davis + another vet in camp is the ideal scenario IMO...go with the 3 best options for the year.