Kurt Warner will cover Rams training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not sure what this means. I thought the fans always have and still do love the guy and treat him well. Wasn't his fault he was run out of town and I think most fans know this.

I don't live in STL so "on the ground" emotions I cannot address, but on the internet he was trashed by a very large and very vocal group. Also there were factions of the media (Bernie are you reading this) that worked openly to disparage Warner at any opportunity.

It wasn't just a Rams FO thing, at least from where I was sitting.

Alan

Legend
HometownBoy with this head scratcher:
Guy still likes the Rams, just doesn't come around as often, probably due to mixed feelings based on the way he was treated and still is treated by some fans. Wouldn't you?
upload_2014-7-17_11-4-42.jpeg

Like some other posters have said in this thread, I'm at a loss as to what you're saying here. When I Googled "Kurt Warner not treated well by St. Louis fans" nothing negative came up except some stuff like the tweets at this site:
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/04/04/...ave-more-allegiance-to-arizona-than-st-louis/
But those happened after he said he owed more allegiance to Arizona than to St. Louis. Plus it was a pitiful handful of negative reactions. Do you have some examples of what you're talking about?

I realize that in the latter part of his career with the Rams he suffered some bad reactions from some fans after fumbling the football a bazillion times but which QB wouldn't get some negative reactions to that?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I don't live in STL so "on the ground" emotions I cannot address, but on the internet he was trashed by a very large and very vocal group. Also there were factions of the media (Bernie are you reading this) that worked openly to disparage Warner at any opportunity.

I guess I never got this. I'm sure there were a few here and there, but not sure how or what you can criticize about the guy. I have never heard one person speak negatively about him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People may have wanted Bulger in when Kurt was playing hurt, but I don't remember any ill will.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Treated like how?
Like garbage, he was the original of our trio of QBs who faltered due to the crap team the Rams threw out there and the fans turned on, at the end there there were people crying for Bulger and writing off Warner as a has been or lucky and not really as great as he appeared. That coupled with how the front office jerked him around was probably enough to leave a sour taste in his mouth.

Then when he experienced his rebirth in Arizona, everyone wanted to ride his dick again and I imagine most of us in the situation would do the same thing Kurt did and go nah nah nah. Then fans acted like he killed their firstborn son and turned on him again, claiming he forgot the GSOT or the only team that made him relevant, even though he never disparaged the Rams folks acted like he levied the highest insult against the Rams by daring to split his affection to the Cardinals also. Never mind that players and coaches before him have also had mixed allegiances because the years of 95% of players playing on the team they're drafted to the day they retire has faded from memory.

I'm not gonna claim it was all fans, or that it was the fans all by themselves, but there was a loud and large vocal minority that made it abundantly clear to Kurt that he was not welcome unless he A)Was good and B) Never did anything but think about the Rams and it's hard to tune that out I imagine, so like most he just chose not to deal with it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow you guys........I dunno.......even his wife got treated badly. He was ridiculed as being washed up, and was a has been before 2002 was half over. Thee were fans all over the internet hammering him, mocking his religious beliefs, talking about how ugly his wife was and so on. There was even a group of posters on the Herd that came to the conclusion his arm was shot form all the years of throwing so much in Arena ball!

Not to mention Bernie hammering him.

He was easy to knock down because he was so elevated, and plenty of people took their shots. I'm not saying all of them, but plenty did. In fact it was keeping the mods on the Herd up all night because of the heated back and forth.

Anyway it's water under the bridge at this point.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Surprising because Kurt says he identifies himself as an Az Card, more than a Ram.
You would think he'd go to the Az camp before the Rams.
It isn't an either/or. The guy played more recently for the Cardinals, played more games as a Cardinal, threw more passes as a Cardinal and the Cardinals gave him another shot to revive his career as opposed to the Rams who unceremoniously ushered him out the door.

He's never said a bad word about the Rams, still does some community work in St. Louis and still participates with and comments about the Rams, past and present.

It isn't surprising at all that he'd cover them during the preseason. It would be more of a surprise if he DIDN'T cover the Rams for the NFLN. McGinnest sure as hell wouldn't.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I can understand why most of you guys know nothing about it, barring like 4 or 5 entities, it was mostly an STL exclusive witch hunt, our media and our fans mostly. I'll be the first to admit, there's a lot of casualness in STL, most only gave a crap because they started winning and when they stopped it had to be the QBs fault because they're the most important guy on the field!

Can't tell you how many times I've seen fans from the farthest in STL, born and raised. Falcons fans, Packers fans and hell even a goddamn Whiners fan because of Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and Colin Kaepernick.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted Bulger. Not because I thought he was better but because I thought Warner's thumb needed to heal. I sure didn't want Warner run off.

However it went down, it was good for Warner. The coaches destroyed Bulger. I would bet he was watching and thinking "thank god that's not me" behind that line.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
Warner was fortunate to get out of STL when he did. Bulger took the brunt of what was coming next and it was hard to watch. Think about the handling of almost all the GSOT players and how they were treated in the end including Faulk, Bruce and Holt, etc. Time often heals wounds and I believe that if fans and Rams management act with class going forward this will be a non issue, Warner professing the GSOT was the highlight of his career and going into the HOF with the Rams being part of that.

PhxRam

First off I am a Warner lover through and through. With that being said, probably the best thing that happened to Warner was being pushed out of St. Louis. If Warner had stuck around and had to endure the beating that Bulger took there would be no storybook ending for Warner.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

There were those like that at the time, I do remember. They've kind of gone away now.

Most people now who liked Bulger are in the same camp I am it seems. Loved Warner and what he did for us, but just thought the Rams had to go with the guy who was playing better at the time.

The only negatives on Warner I've seen lately are on the whole "Identifies more as a Cardinal" thing which just makes me say "Yeah, and Faulk identifies more as a Ram, since he played for them most recently." Nothing I've seen from Warner suggests he hates the Rams or didn't treasure his time here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A couple of you guys have mentioned he was lucky to get out because of the beatings Bulger took and I will say this about that point.

Warner wouldn't have taken all of those sacks, he was better in the pocket than Bulger. He also got rid of the ball faster and made faster decisions which would have reduced the hits. Also.....I saw most of his games in AZ. The OL the Cardinals had at the time wasn't really any better and Warner was taking plenty of hits. Lastly I don't think there are many guys who played QB that were tougher than Warner, in his era maybe McNair is the only guy I'd say was tougher but that's not completely fair because McNair might be the toughest guy ever under center.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Guy still likes the Rams, just doesn't come around as often, probably due to mixed feelings based on the way he was treated and still is treated by some fans. Wouldn't you?

Not sure, quite possibly.
I'm not knocking Kurt, just stating the facts.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
A couple of you guys have mentioned he was lucky to get out because of the beatings Bulger took and I will say this about that point.

Warner wouldn't have taken all of those sacks, he was better in the pocket than Bulger. He also got rid of the ball faster and made faster decisions which would have reduced the hits. Also.....I saw most of his games in AZ. The OL the Cardinals had at the time wasn't really any better and Warner was taking plenty of hits. Lastly I don't think there are many guys who played QB that were tougher than Warner, in his era maybe McNair is the only guy I'd say was tougher but that's not completely fair because McNair might be the toughest guy ever under center.
Early in his career, Bulger's quick release was touted as one of the big positives about the guy. It didn't help him. The Rams line was THAT bad.

Even Faulk pointed out once that Warner would have really suffered with our OL at the time.

But that debate is called the "endless" debate for a reason.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
It isn't an either/or. The guy played more recently for the Cardinals, played more games as a Cardinal, threw more passes as a Cardinal and the Cardinals gave him another shot to revive his career as opposed to the Rams who unceremoniously ushered him out the door.

He's never said a bad word about the Rams, still does some community work in St. Louis and still participates with and comments about the Rams, past and present.

It isn't surprising at all that he'd cover them during the preseason. It would be more of a surprise if he DIDN'T cover the Rams for the NFLN. McGinnest sure as hell wouldn't.

Okay.
So it's not surprising to you, but it is to me.
We're just going to have to disagree about that.
And I never said that it was an either or situation. :whistle:
His position is understandable, never said it wasn't.
It just surprised me he covered the Rams before the Cards - that's all.
And there could be a multitude of reasons - with him and the NFL Network too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Okay.
So it's not surprising to you, but it is to me.
We're just going to have to disagree about that.
And I never said that it was an either or situation. :whistle:
His position is understandable, never said it wasn't.
It just surprised me he covered the Rams before the Cards - that's all.
And there could be a multitude of reasons - with him and the NFL Network too.

He may not have had a choice, it isn't like he's got a lot of tenure with the network.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wow you guys........I dunno.......even his wife got treated badly. He was ridiculed as being washed up, and was a has been before 2002 was half over. Thee were fans all over the internet hammering him, mocking his religious beliefs, talking about how ugly his wife was and so on. There was even a group of posters on the Herd that came to the conclusion his arm was shot form all the years of throwing so much in Arena ball!

Not to mention Bernie hammering him.

He was easy to knock down because he was so elevated, and plenty of people took their shots. I'm not saying all of them, but plenty did. In fact it was keeping the mods on the Herd up all night because of the heated back and forth.

Anyway it's water under the bridge at this point.

Well being on the ground I can tell you Brenda crossed lines none of us would want our wives crossing when she called in to radio shows,which gleaned Kurt sympathy and disdain from team mates of different minds.I can also tell you that the locker room was divided when Kurt was replaced and largely because of his position that the losing streak was a trial from God and Marshal's thesis that some people needed to pick up their game.
Brenda entered the fray which was ill advised and although I don't condone some of the treatment , she needed to stay out because what happened was bound to happen when she did,so JMO she contributed to the acrimony and put her husband in one hell of a bad position and Martz too. I've only had one wife try to chew my ass over her husbands job advancement/longevity and I told him if she ever came back he'd be fired.

Bernie I guess did run some interference for Martz and that was bush on both peoples part ,but the whole fucking thing was devoid of lucid dispassionate characters on all sides.
I had a priest tell me the concussions were mounting up on Kurt and he was NFL,and after leaving here he got some time to recover and IMO as one poster has said already, if he'd kept throwing into the blitz here without some better blocking that priest would have been spot on,but Kurt ain't gonna admit that just like he hid the thumb problem.

Great player got paid great ,took some heat ,maybe he can recommend a counselor for Mark Sanchez,it's how this league is,it's how crazy fans are,but I tire of the Kurt was the total victim and Martz was the boogey man rendering of this story,there's blame to put everywhere and facts chosen out of a bucket full that give every SIDE of this their moral indignation,I don't really take a side in this, it happened it's over ,new message boards were created over the acrimony, like the shizzle over Spags,drama,drama,drama,I wanna see Arron Donald sack Russel Wilson at the Ed and me in my AD signature jersey

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well being on the ground I can tell you Brenda crossed lines none of us would want our wives crossing when she called in to radio shows,which gleaned Kurt sympathy and disdain from team mates of different minds.I can also tell you that the locker room was divided when Kurt was replaced and largely because of his position that the losing streak was a trial from God and Marshal's thesis that some people needed to pick up their game.
Brenda entered the fray which was ill advised and although I don't condone some of the treatment , she needed to stay out because what happened was bound to happen when she did,so JMO she contributed to the acrimony and put her husband in one hell of a bad position and Martz too. I've only had one wife try to chew my ass over her husbands job advancement/longevity and I told him if she ever came back he'd be fired.

Bernie I guess did run some interference for Martz and that was bush on both peoples part ,but the whole freaking thing was devoid of lucid dispassionate characters on all sides.
I had a priest tell me the concussions were mounting up on Kurt and he was NFL,and after leaving here he got some time to recover and IMO as one poster has said already, if he'd kept throwing into the blitz here without some better blocking that priest would have been spot on,but Kurt ain't gonna admit that just like he hid the thumb problem.

Great player got paid great ,took some heat ,maybe he can recommend a counselor for Mark Sanchez,it's how this league is,it's how crazy fans are,but I tire of the Kurt was the total victim and Martz was the boogey man rendering of this story,there's blame to put everywhere and facts chosen out of a bucket full that give every SIDE of this their moral indignation,I don't really take a side in this, it happened it's over ,new message boards were created over the acrimony, like the shizzle over Spags,drama,drama,drama,I wanna see Arron Donald sack Russel Wilson at the Ed and me in my AD signature jersey
You're just a Martz apologist.