Kurt Warner: I would’ve considered a return to the Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wouldve-considered-a-return-to-the-cardinals/

Kurt Warner: I would’ve considered a return to the Cardinals
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2015

kurt-warner-07-31-2009-1024x811.jpg
AP

If the Cardinals had wanted to replace Ryan Lindley with Kurt Warner for their playoff run, Warner was open to it.

Warner, who has hinted before that he was interested in playing for the Cardinals after first-string quarterback Carson Palmer and second-string quarterback Drew Stanton both got hurt, confirmed today that he was open to it if coach Bruce Arians had reached out.

“There was a scenario where I would have considered it,” Warner said on the Dan Patrick Show. “I don’t know what I would have done.”

The 43-year-old Warner said he talked to Arians and G.M. Steve Keim “in passing” but that he doesn’t think they were ever seriously interested in bringing him back. But Warner himself was interested enough that he talked to his wife and kids about it, and they were supportive.

Realistically, it probably couldn’t have happened even if the Cardinals had wanted to do it. Under NFL rules, Warner would have had to pass through waivers before the Cardinals could bring him back, and some other NFC team almost certainly would have put in a waiver claim just to block Warner from the Cardinals. The Panthers, for instance, were ahead of the Cardinals in the waiver order and surely would have blocked Warner from returning. Wouldn’t you rather face Ryan Lindley in a playoff game?

So it was never really close to happening. But Warner was open to it. And it would have been fun to see him give it a shot.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Yeah, right... like he was going to delay his HOF chance another 5 years.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, right... like he was going to delay his HOF chance another 5 years.

Or maybe with that defense and the receivers they had he might have figured he had a chance to get another ring and solidify his chances of getting in the HOF.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He use to be one of my favorite Rams....but after awhile I grew tired of his love-fest with the Cardinals.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You think maybe Kurt likes the Cards better, since they treated him better?
I don't think he has any grudge against the Rams... it's just that the Cardinals were his last team.

If Colts fans got on Marshall Faulk's case because he identifies more as a Ram than a Colt, we'd be the first to say that that really wasn't a rational feeling on their part.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He use to be one of my favorite Rams....but after awhile I grew tired of his love-fest with the Cardinals.

I asked him straight up from behind the TNF pregame booth "Kurt, STL or ARZ." He had a little snarky smirk on his face.

I also want to add Marshall acknowledged the crowd several times. Warner did maybe a couple. I kinda cold shouldered us, really. I was kind of in disbelief and denial, but yeah, he is bitter towards STL. I don't blame him. Freak Bulger...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This.

And/or get his block knocked off because he's so out of game shape and immobile now.

Now?

I'm a HUGE Warner fan and hate how the whole thing went down but he wasn't very mobile his last couple of years in AZ.

I think Bernie Kosar could've taken him in a 40 yard dash lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now?

I'm a HUGE Warner fan and hate how the whole thing went down but he wasn't very mobile his last couple of years in AZ.

Yeah, I meant out of game shape now (and immobile).
And Bernie could beat Tavon in the 40 if you set a beer down on the finish line.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Now?

Are alcohol and pain pills performance enhancers now too?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

He's still my favorite Ram and always will be. I've never encountered a nicer professional athlete and a guy who walks the talk like he does. Not sure why people hate on him for him showing love to the Cardinals. They gave him a chance to resurrect his career, he took them to a Super Bowl, and their fans love him as much as ours do. By the way, in the NFL network studios, when he does the pre-game, it's his Rams jersey behind him, not the Cardinals one. I'm sure he could say something about that if he wanted to.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't think he has any grudge against the Rams... it's just that the Cardinals were his last team.

If Colts fans got on Marshall Faulk's case because he identifies more as a Ram than a Colt, we'd be the first to say that that really wasn't a rational feeling on their part.

You might justify it since they both got a ring playing for the Rams. I feel like Kurt's connection with the Cardinals is this strong less because it was his last team and more because he still knows the players on that team/the Rams threw him to the birds...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I don't know how he feels about the Rams, but I think he still loves the St. Louis area since he and his wife still do charity work here.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You might justify it since they both got a ring playing for the Rams. I feel like Kurt's connection with the Cardinals is this strong less because it was his last team and more because he still knows the players on that team/the Rams threw him to the birds...
I understand many fans feel the Rams (in particular Martz) screwed him over. NOTHING I have seen from Kurt indicates he feels anything of the sort.

It's just the nature of the game. He was hurt, seemed to be long term (and it was quite a while before Kurt became Kurt again), and even if there wasn't somebody playing better at the time, there's no way he could have stayed with the team that long until getting better (and probably never would have, given the offensive line issues that ended up getting Bulger Bulgerized.)

While it's possible Warner has a grudge against the Rams, I'd be very surprised if that was the case... and very surprised if his identifying more with the Cardinals is anything other than the natural inclination to identify most strongly with his most recent team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's still my favorite Ram and always will be. I've never encountered a nicer professional athlete and a guy who walks the talk like he does. Not sure why people hate on him for him showing love to the Cardinals. They gave him a chance to resurrect his career, he took them to a Super Bowl, and their fans love him as much as ours do. By the way, in the NFL network studios, when he does the pre-game, it's his Rams jersey behind him, not the Cardinals one. I'm sure he could say something about that if he wanted to.

I feel the same way.

However there were a lot of fans in STL that wanted to kick him to the curb. Talk shows, newspaper articles (Bernie especially) and of course message boards were lighting up about it. There were fans that were pretty nasty about it too.

Bernie was terrible. He said a lot of things that were WAY off base and just plain cruel. He was Martz mouthpiece and did some dirty stuff. Bleacher Report wrote an article about it.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
nice. couldn't say it better myself. always will be my favorite Ram. I'm a little surprised on all the knocks on Warner in here. And frankly all of them should be ashamed. He is a Christisn man that has always practiced what he preached. Why would he have more love for the Rams when the team tossed him out and not a single member of that organization is even here anymore to come back to from the owner on down. But he still gives back to the city. Nobody should have any room to hate on him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think he may have been dangerous for what, 3 games? Maybe 4....I bet Farve can still play...