Kupp to return punts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Not a big fan of this move. I mean yeah, he has experience and will probably do a great job. Just hate exposing him to the injury side of it. Figure they would use Blake to do both KR and PR's. Maybe he doesn't have the PR skill set?

https://www.therams.com/news/kupp-ready-for-double-duty-vs-vikings

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018 02:00 PM

Kupp Ready for Double Duty vs. Vikings
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

The Rams have been unlucky at their returner position so far in 2018.

All-Pro Pharoh Cooper was sidelined by an ankle injury in Week 1. And the man who Los Angeles signed to replace him — JoJo Natson — went down with a broken hand during Sunday’s victory over the Chargers.

Enter wide receiver Cooper Kupp — who will take over punt return duties on Thursday as L.A. goes against Minnesota on a short week.

ddlnlxmehoh3yujg9gg1.jpg

“I think sometimes this week requires a little bit different approach,” head coach Sean McVay said. “I think because it is a short week, because of the consistency that you feel that Cooper will be able to field that ball, [that’s why Kupp will return punts].”

Kupp has plenty of experience in that area, having done it quite successfully at Eastern Washington. Back in college, Kupp returned a punt for a touchdown in each of his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons.

“It’s really unfortunate having Pharoh and JoJo go down,” Kupp said this week. “But, it’s next man up. Go do your job and prepare to be the best that you can be on Thursday night now. And [I’m] super comfortable stepping out there.”

While Kupp simply fair caught the one punt he was on the field for against the Raiders in Week 1, McVay said the Rams may look to stay aggressive on the return unit. Considering how vital Kupp is to the offensive unit — he’s played at least 97 percent of the offensive snaps in each of the first three games — that is somewhat of a risk.

“If he gets an opportunity, we’ll always try to compete to do the best thing that we can from a production standpoint,” McVay said. “You see when the ball is in Cooper’s hands, he’s able to create and get vertical and he knows how to naturally work edges on people as well.”

And not that this game has any special meaning for Kupp and the Rams, but the offense did have its worst performance of 2017 against Minnesota last year. And Kupp in particular had a few uncharacteristic plays, with a fumble coming near the goal line and a drop that would’ve put L.A. in field position.

Kupp said he did review the tape of that contest this week, but he realizes things are different now — for both teams.

“Yeah, you watch what they’ve done, what they’ve done before. Obviously a lot of stuff as an offense that we want back — a lot of stuff that I want as an individual, plays that you want back,” Kupp said. “But at the same time, you learn from those things and you move forward. And it’s more about trying to see what kind of coverage, what kind of little nuances to their game they might’ve put in up against us last year. But we’re a new team this year and what the 2018 Rams are about is different than what the 2017 Rams were about. So we’re just going to go out there and handle our business.”

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
eh don't like this. But I'm sure McVay is gonna be cautious about this. He doesn't want his go-to WR to get dinged up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gulp. I hope they know what they're doing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mehhhhhhh.

There has to be dozens of fast punt returners on practice squads around the league.
He doesn't have to be great. Just experienced. Why not get one of those?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Mehhhhhhh.

There has to be dozens of fast punt returners on practice squads around the league.

I am sure they are studying tape of guys that they can bring in over the weekend for a tryout and/or grab from a teams practice squad. Just too short of a week to feel comfortable bringing a guy in - that's my opinion anyway.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mehhhhhhh.

We're not worried about how many yards he makes. We're worried about him getting injured returning a punt.

Edit - i read your post incorrectly. Disregard what i just said.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
“I think because it is a short week, because of the consistency that you feel that Cooper will be able to field that ball, [that’s why Kupp will return punts].”

I take it this is why we're going with Kupp this week, rather than bringing someone else in. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring someone else in after this weekend.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Kupp has sure hands and that has value.

Why not just have him fair catch everything?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kupp has sure hands and that has value.

Why not just have him fair catch everything?

Because some player might just want to light him up and might not see the fair catch. Because some player might get blocked into him like what happened with Marcus Sherels not that long ago.

I am not a fan of this move.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Kupp will take one to the house this week.
:rockon::shooting::banana::banana:

Play balls out! 29-10

Ram65

Legend
I was glad the got Natson and didn't use Kupp before. Even this early in the season this is a an important game. Kupp has experience and good hands. He is deceptively strong in the trunk and legs. He broke a tackle on that last TD against the Chargers. He also has some shake and bake. I think he will be smart and get what he can and not take unnecessary risks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like it's a one week deal. It is what it is.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Fair catch everything. Just want steady hands and smart decision making while Natson heals up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Title of this thread should read, " Kupp to fair catch punts this week".

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I don't like it either outside of good hands. I would rather see Davis or Hodges handle both kickoff and punts.

As far as kickoffs go, I feel we should always touchback which guarantees us to start the ball at the 25. Illiminates most likely penalties and solid starting position.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is McVay's modus operandi.

He's not going to back off on anything that might hinder his chances of winning.

I'm confident Kupp has been given specific instructions on when he should return.

I suspect a lot of (if not all) fair catches.