Kromer vs. Kromer Premier Opening Night

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Back in 2021 there was shocking news with all the Assistant Coaches departing the Los Angeles Rams as the likes of Brandon Staley, Aubrey Pleasant & Shane Waldron left for promotions a report serviced that the L.A. Rams and Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer mutually parted ways. There was no real reason given plus no speculation as who the replacement would be, but only that Kromer's son Zak would stay on as an offensive quality control coach, which seemed odd.

Speculation simmered as to maybe the Rams wanted to move on from Zak and his father offered up his resignation instead and once the senior Kromer landed on his feet, his son would join him there. Well, that has not happened. Also some speculated that because of certain draft choices that Aaron Kromer signed off on like Brian Allen & Bobby Evans and the lack of their growth led to his demise, but now Brian Allen is the linchpin of the offensive line and some might communicate that his growth in the middle saved the season for the Super Bowl Champions.

Aaron Kromer has moved on as he was hired by the Buffalo Bills taking over for the popular Bobby Johnson, who followed Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll to New York, however, this sets up Father against Son come Thursday Night as surprisingly the Rams have kept the young Kromer now with the title as Offensive Assistant and not really sure where his focus is because it was with his Dad on the offensive line. Zak seems to be more involved with the with other aspects of the offense with the Offensive Line being handled by Kevin Carberry and assistant Nick Jones.

Overall, there comes a time where assistants just move on for whatever reasons and there is little debate that Kromer was an asset for the Rams during his time here being part of Sean McVay's original coaching staff, but it sets up an interesting dynamic come Thursday, September 8th as Buffalo shuffles off to Los Angeles to square up against the Super Bowl Champions in which Aaron Kromer who is back in Coaching, will be overseeing a unit to protect and serve their renown Field General in Josh Allen and although we might never truly understand why there was a parting of the ways, it will be Kromer vs. Kromer with the victor most likely being looked upon as the Super Bowl Favorite.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Speculation simmered as to maybe the Rams wanted to move on from Zak and his father offered up his resignation instead and once the senior Kromer landed on his feet, his son would join him there. Well, that has not happened.
In what universe does this make sense? We keep a guy we don't want in exchange for losing a guy we do want. What kind of insanity would that be? Does this guy know how bargaining works? The theory above would be a lose/lose/lose. We keep a guy we don't want: lose. We lose a guy we do want: lose. We have to search for a new guy to replace the old guy: lose.

WTF was the author of that article thinking when he wrote that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kromer did some dumb shit. Playing Boom inside at guard when he was getting thrashed. Inserting Demby because he brought him starbucks or something, because it didn't have anything to do with how well he could play. Starting Boom again the next year over Edwards at OG was particularly stupid. I don't think he had a very good feel.

I will give him that he was far better than any OL coach we had for a long while prior his hiring. But I like the move they made with Carberry. That was a clear upgrade IMO. Guys are focused and there isn't that BS where the OL coach is moving dudes around for no good reason and trying to make himself look smart.

In fact I'll bet Buffalo week one will be prone to stunts and twists. I'd run the hell out of that stuff right out the gate vs Kromer's dudes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Merlin - LMAO - such a HATER!!

I go back a long way. I think your wrong in a lot of ways.

I’ll give you credit for liking Carberry & that he really helped The Rams last season in creating a new foundation & teaching.

We can debate Aaron Kromer all day long.He was a LUCKY & excellent hire. As Den stated Zak Kromer is still a Ram coach who Sean Mcvay really respects.

I went to training camp so in a lot of senses you are right,but Zak Kromer was always right there helping & has been a big part of The Rams Offensive line.Dickerson was excellent as well.He should have an excellent run game.

The Rams run game under Carberry has been questionable so we can start there.Plus The Rams never added another offensive lineman last season.Just lost Austin Blythe.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Article deadline.

Coach Den brings up some good points.As Merlin & all forget about is a couple of prize pieces The Rams had Kromers first 2 seasons.

Andrew Whitworth & John Sullivan.
Plus I thought it was a BLESSING when that Bills Center/Guard all Ram Fans wanted. I say WRONG!!!

I am also not mentioning The Main Bill Aaron Kromer has this year!! I think everyone forgot about him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In what universe does this make sense? We keep a guy we don't want in exchange for losing a guy we do want. What kind of insanity would that be? Does this guy know how bargaining works? The theory above would be a lose/lose/lose. We keep a guy we don't want: lose. We lose a guy we do want: lose. We have to search for a new guy to replace the old guy: lose.

I’d say take it easy,there was & is a lot of missing pieces.Plus it is all based on perception.

The mystery is how Sean Mcvay pushes & challenges his coaching staff.It’s based on friendships & trust.

Dickerson was a big part of Kromer as well as Zak. There is some much more juicy stuff here.I think The Story is BIGGER than just Kromer & hiw that all ended.

IMO it was much more than just Kromer leaving. It had so many levels about who he is as a coach & a person. It also goes to show that Zak is taking care of his future & Ramily.

Funny Aaron flew the Coop.The great thing is just to add about his coaching though & Merlin wants to over look is he was much more than an OFFENSIVE LINE coach.

The Rams TE’s & WR have been the best at run blocking in The NFL!! The facts come from Bobby Tree’s - aka Robert Woods from Buffalo with Aaron Kromer.

I think Aaron Kromer was the best Offenive line coach The Rams have had at The Right Time.He built a Foundation with Sean Mcvay for ever.
Les Snead understands what that is a means.

I guess I could say that Carberry could be or is a better Rams O’Line coach soon enough.

I like change & glad both Wes Phillips & Kevin O’Connell are GONE

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just to say Von Miller has to be apart of this Thursday Night game.

Plus this guy if your talking Aaron Kromer & Offensive Line.Adding John Sullivan & Andrew Whitworth forever.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This goes back to the beginning of the Kromer days. Biggest mistake was 2019 letting Sullivan go & or not bring in a veteran Offensive Guard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Still in 2019 The Rams had a chance & Todd Gurley was not the same RB he was before his 2018 injury when that RB from the streets took The Rams to the SuperBowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin Blythe was not a starting RG & John Sullivan needed his career in a SuperBowl as well as Andrew Whitworth.Just one of them won it ALL.
Still Sean Mcvay & Aaron Kromer got lucky in 2017 & 2018. Then Sullivan was released & there you go.

2019 & Mcvay’s not playing starters was a JOKE when it came to Joesph Noteboom & Brian Allen.

That is why it makes me upset when the blame game starts & what a player can & can’t do.If you play Noteboom & Allen in the preseason you know what you got.If nothing else NFL EXPERIENCE!!!

If Bruss is handed the RG spot & no NFL preseason. ???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Was a Austin Blythe fan,but he was & is a swing c/g. What he did for The Rams was Great. This does show my point way back as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I am the author (no deadline @kurtfaulk) and it was speculated that might have been an agreement made that Aaron Kromer requested that if he stepped down, would that jeopardize his son position and they agreed that Zak would stay on.

Again, it's speculation and nothing different then a CEO parting ways with the caveat of keeping certain people in place. Now you bring up a good point as to if they wanted to fire Zak Kromer, they would have not kept him regardless of his father stepping down, but again, it's just speculation as there was really no reason given besides a parting of the ways.

Psycho_X

Legend
8 posts in 15 minutes So Ram? You trying to break some kind of record?
Jim Carrey Typing GIF

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well, I am the author (no deadline @kurtfaulk) and it was speculated that might have been an agreement made that Aaron Kromer requested that if he stepped down, would that jeopardize his son position and they agreed that Zak would stay on.

Again, it's speculation and nothing different then a CEO parting ways with the caveat of keeping certain people in place. Now you bring up a good point as to if they wanted to fire Zak Kromer, they would have not kept him regardless of his father stepping down, but again, it's just speculation as there was really no reason given besides a parting of the ways.
I thought you quoted another article. Sorry if that came off offensive or rude. I was being overly harsh because I thought it was one an outsider. Once again, sorry for being a dick.

The rephrase you have here makes a ton more sense. If Kromer the Eldest wanted to leave but didn't want to ruin his son's career, that speculation makes sense. The original speculation/implication seemed like we still liked Aaron but not Zak, in which case Aaron leaving to save his kid makes no sense (I also don't remember anyone suggesting that but it's been a while and my memory is terrible these days). Aaron wanting to leave but make sure his kid has a job is significantly more plausible and I would buy that.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought you quoted another article. Sorry if that came off offensive or rude. I was being overly harsh because I thought it was one an outsider. Once again, sorry for being a dick.
It's all good brother I didn't take it negatively at all, but it did make me think a bit. I just assumed it was more Zak then Aaron, but everyone has opened my eyes that maybe McVay felt the time was right to move on and it appears that the hiring of Carberry was a good move, plus it just sets up even more drama for opening night.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sure -

Sure - speculation?

Well we all have speculation. Mine I believe is more honest & truthful than the media.

Aaron Kromer did not want a demotion & had to much pride & ego.

Zak Kromer was more hands on with the players as far as one on one & personal relationships. He kept his dad focused on getting the next drills set up.

Personally I believe when Aaron Kromer became the Run game coordinator he lost the hands on teaching that makes him an excellent O’Line coach.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
8 posts in 15 minutes So Ram? You trying to break some kind of record?
Always !! Plus losing that Rod bet to you. Kromer kept just 8 O’Lineman
in 2019.We saw what happened.

When you lose Saffold & Sullivan from a SuperBowl team.

The Rams never brought in a veteran to replace them & started Austin Blythe at RG? WTF ?

Then no preseason or NFL experience with Noteboom & Allen?

Yeah ok , to think that still is a sore spot ? I like Kromer as a O’Line coach though. Then again I still wonder the thought process of Sean Mcvay?

He knows he screwed up & Whitworth is on record saying what a mistake letting John Sullivan go.

Carberry has done well with teaching & getting Noteboom & Allen ready for 2022. Allen was a pro bowl alternative & hurt last season.
What do I know ? That was what was reported,but I thought Shelton looked good mauling Defensive players.