Kirk Cousins - Playing Through Lack of Arm Talent?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're happy with performances like this where you can't put the ball in the End Zone as a QB.....

Good luck.

Are passing attack is horse crap and I don't care Keenum put up some yards. It's about the points.

Now, I'm freaking out.

200_s.gif
Lighten the fuck up Francis.

Love how it is either mortgage the farm or we're doing nothing to address the QB situation though. Guess that is the only way any other team has gotten their QB.

FRO

Legend
A weak arm QB can succeed, but he needs to be smart as heck, can read defenses, have great anticipation, and he needs a top of the line support cast. That is the Denver version of Manning and Andy Dalton. I don't see Keenum being that guy and I don't see our support cast to the Denver or Cleveland level.

FRO

Legend
Speaking of Rivers, I would trade a bounty for him if the Chargers decide to go with a young QB in the draft. I don't see why they would though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A weak arm QB can succeed, but he needs to be smart as heck, can read defenses, have great anticipation, and he needs a top of the line support cast. That is the Denver version of Manning and Andy Dalton. I don't see Keenum being that guy and I don't see our support cast to the Denver or Cleveland level.
Did you mean Cincy and not Cleveland?

I don't know if Case is the answer. I have my hopes that Mannion is more the answer. I don't know that mortgaging the farm wouldn't work either. I just don't like those kinds of moves. I think Case can succeed if given a true #1 receiver but those are about as elusive as a franchise QB. Is taking the chance on trading away future 1st round picks smart? Or is it just something fans like to see as it says that we are truly trying everything to win? I tend to think you do it if there is a really clear cut guy available. I just don't see it this draft.

Would it work out better to use our 2nd from Philly and go after a top WR like Treadwell and then grab Hunter Henry in the 2nd? That is probably what I would do but that's just me.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend

I don't know if Case is the answer. I have my hopes that Mannion is more the answer. I don't know that mortgaging the farm wouldn't work either. I just don't like those kinds of moves. I think Case can succeed if given a true #1 receiver but those are about as elusive as a franchise QB. Is taking the chance on trading away future 1st round picks smart? Or is it just something fans like to see as it says that we are truly trying everything to win? I tend to think you do it if there is a really clear cut guy available. I just don't see it this draft.

Would it work out better to use our 2nd from Philly and go after a top WR like Treadwell and then grab Hunter Henry in the 2nd? That is probably what I would do but that's just me.
Yeah I meant Cincinnati, sorry.

As far as trading a bounty for Rivers, I mean trading our first and both seconds. That's quite a haul.

I wouldn't trade up for Treadwell. I think there are some very nice receivers to be had in the second round.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Not sure that I agree that a #1 receiver is real rare these days - though our division makes it seem that way:
Buf: Watkins, Jets: Marshall (maybe Decker), Pats: Edelman maybe ,Fins:Landry, Dal: dez, Giants: Beckham, Den: Thomas (maybe Sanders), KC: Maclin, OAK: Cooper, AZ:Fitz (maybe Brown), SEA: Baldwin, Cin: Green, Pit: Brown, CHI :Jeffery?, Det: Johnson, GB: Nelson?, Jac: Robinson, Hurns, Tex: Hopkins, Indy: Hilton, TB: Evans?, ATL: Jones, NO: Cooks?

Realize several of these guys are in there last years (Megatron/Fitz), several had injuries this year- but have done it in past soooo (Jeffery/Nelson), several are borderline (Baldwin/maclin) but stats wise meet what I would call #1 quality this year...

Our leading receiver this year was Britt... a whopping 600 yrds...3TD, Austin in year 3 got 443yrds (his 5TD as receiver were good), but as other have said he is more a "weapon" than a positional player. it is sad that at this point I would have a tough time saying that with all the draft picks used on receiver we likely do not have anyone on the team that would be much more than a bottom end #2/ or #3 for most teams...

Also to be clear most guys do not become actual #1 quality their first year (I think the stat is like only 12 guys have broke 750yrds their first season as receivers), so in all likelihood anyone drafted, even if used a lot and perform well as rookie will only put up good #2 stats next year...

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Our WRs combined for 136 catches, 1630 yards, and 9 TDs. Antonio Brown by himself had as many catches, more yards, and as more TDs.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Goff being Rivers is the crap shoot. Being able to replenish our cupboard through free agency and salary cap issues each year would be a crap shoot.

Washington traded us the farm and lost their crap shoot but have made the play offs twice since.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Washington traded us the farm and lost their crap shoot but have made the play offs twice since.
And in our division, they wouldn't have been in it either year. Never mind the fact that they went a wonderful 3-13 and 4-12 the two years in between insuring very high picks in the other rounds. Was that a good trade for them?

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
And in our division, they wouldn't have been in it either year. Never mind the fact that they went a wonderful 3-14 and 4-12 the two years in between insuring very high picks in the other rounds. Was that a good trade for them?
The trade didn't work out for them, but they were able to have two winning seasons in the years after the trade. We have been below .500 every year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The trade didn't work out for them, but they were able to have two winning seasons in the years after the trade. We have been below .500 every year.
Not trying to speak for @RamFan503 but it would seem as if you have made his point for him. Had WAS stood pat without the trade and still picked up Cousins in the 4th how much better does their roster look today?

Throwing multiple picks at an unproven draft choice is a risky proposition at best.

FRO

Legend
Not trying to speak for @RamFan503 but it would seem as if you have made his point for him. Had WAS stood pat without the trade and still picked up Cousins in the 4th how much better does their roster look today?

Throwing multiple picks at an unproven draft choice is a risky proposition at best.
I agree with that premise. It just sucks that Washington, who was also terrible in 2012, has had 2 winning seasons and missed out on two first round picks and a second round pick in the process, while we had a ton of extra picks and still suck.

fearsomefour

Legend
So is it really a fluke that the diminutive Case Keenum has been doing what it takes to win games in this - his first real shot at taking the keys to the car?
Keenum generally makes good decisions. Thus, no turnovers again Sunday. However, his lack or arm strength showed up on some throws yesterday. A tale tell sign is the ball floating. This can be a mechanical thing also, but, the ball was sailing on him yesterday. He missed some relatively easy throws as well. Missing Welker on the cross in the first half that would have given a first and goal or maybe a TD hurt as did missing Cook for a first down in SF territory. Both guys were open on short passes and Keenum just missed them.
Keenum is an NFL QB for sure. His ability to process, read and make decisions is why. Those are huge factors. Is he a 16 game high quality starter? I don't know if he can be that.