Kirk Cousins - Playing Through Lack of Arm Talent?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Watching Kirk Cousins and his alleged 6'3" frame and "noodle arm" simply getting it done while the stars Andrew Luck and RGKnee watch from the sidelines....

We all know the saga of RGKnee but Luck wasn't exactly lighting it up while he was playing this season. Hassleback has arguably been better this season than Luck and his 55% completions and near equal TD/INT rate to go with his 2-5 record as a starter.

I am not saying that Cousins is better than Luck. On the contrary. But Cousins was considered a weak armed, fairly accurate QB that could use his feet a bit - a game manager and potential back-up. And he is getting it done in spite of arguably lesser talent than what the Rams have. 69% completions, TD/INT rate of 26/11. This while getting mediocre help from his running game.

Now granted, WA is hardly a great team but that is also hardly because Cousins is not playing well. He started out with pretty bad numbers and has progressed over his time sitting on the bench and playing back-up duty. Now given the keys to the car, he is doing arguably more than merely managing games.

So is it really a fluke that the diminutive Case Keenum has been doing what it takes to win games in this - his first real shot at taking the keys to the car? Or is this his chance to show that he can not only manage a game but play well enough to win games while our future sits on the sidelines as many franchise QBs have in the past?

I know the latest flavors of the year at QB are a huge attraction to some. But there is about as much a possibility that we already have our future at QB as there is that one of the latest first rounders will be that guy.

Do we mortgage our next Aaron Donald, or Todd Gurley, or Robert Quinn, or Orlando Pace, or the next Julio Jones, or pick two of those, on a QB that most have acknowledged are not up to the par of QB classes from years past?

I realize some say we shouldn't go after a stud WR in the first round if we have no one to throw to him. Is that really the best direction? Or is it better to get a QB that can make most of the throws in tune with your offense and give him a stud or two to throw to while our O-line learns and opens holes for our stud RB? While BTW, still having your 1st round picks to restock your shelves when you need a new CB or whatever?

In my mind - the answer is no. But then some look at the QB class as far better than I so...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching Kirk Cousins and his alleged 6'3" frame and "noodle arm" simply getting it done while the stars Andrew Luck and RGKnee watch from the sidelines....

We all know the saga of RGKnee but Luck wasn't exactly lighting it up while he was playing this season. Hassleback has arguably been better this season than Luck and his 55% completions and near equal TD/INT rate to go with his 2-5 record as a starter.

I am not saying that Cousins is better than Luck. On the contrary. But Cousins was considered a weak armed, fairly accurate QB that could use his feet a bit - a game manager and potential back-up. And he is getting it done in spite of arguably lesser talent than what the Rams have. 69% completions, TD/INT rate of 26/11. This while getting mediocre help from his running game.

Now granted, WA is hardly a great team but that is also hardly because Cousins is not playing well. He started out with pretty bad numbers and has progressed over his time sitting on the bench and playing back-up duty. Now given the keys to the car, he is doing arguably more than merely managing games.

So is it really a fluke that the diminutive Case Keenum has been doing what it takes to win games in this - his first real shot at taking the keys to the car? Or is this his chance to show that he can not only manage a game but play well enough to win games while our future sits on the sidelines as many franchise QBs have in the past?

Kirk Cousins isn't weak armed. Neither is Keenum truly. The difference between the two is that Cousins is a more accurate passer.

And this isn't Keenum's first shot at taking the keys to the car.

I know the latest flavors of the year at QB are a huge attraction to some. But there is about as much a possibility that we already have our future at QB as there is that one of the latest first rounders will be that guy.

Statistically, this is incorrect.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kirk Cousins isn't weak armed. Neither is Keenum truly. The difference between the two is that Cousins is a more accurate passer.

And this isn't Keenum's first shot at taking the keys to the car.
Keenum was considered to be an accurate passer but his size was a bit of an issue. I bet if you stood he and Cousins side by side you'd have to squint to see the difference. But Keenum was known for smart, quick, decisions and the ability to lead his receivers.

How was he given the keys to the car before this? When he came in for an injured Matt Schaub?
Statistically, this is incorrect.
You are saying that statistically, blockbuster trades for a 1st round QB work out better for the team giving up the draft picks than teams that stand pat?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum was considered to be an accurate passer but his size was a bit of an issue. I bet if you stood he and Cousins side by side you'd have to squint to see the difference. But Keenum was known for smart, quick, decisions and the ability to lead his receivers.

How was he given the keys to the car before this? When he came in for an injured Matt Schaub?

What Keenum was known for in college doesn't matter anymore. He's not an accurate NFL QB. And I resent your racist comment. All white QBs do not look alike.

Houston gave him 8 starts. Schaub was done. He wasn't coming back. That's getting the keys to the car.

You are saying that statistically, blockbuster trades for a 1st round QB work out better for the team giving up the draft picks than teams that stand pat?

No. I'm saying you stand a statistically better chance of picking a QB of the future in the first round than finding one in a UDFA journeyman.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm not up on the latest reports on college QB this year, or how their individual seasons have gone, but I was under the impression that there were at least 4 good QB and 2 2nd or 3rd rounders as well that could work out in this draft. If that's true we need to get one. Keep Keenum by all means, he's a good spot starter and backup. Keep Mannion, dump Foles.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Houston gave him 8 starts. Schaub was done. He wasn't coming back. That's getting the keys to the car.
Matt Schaub went to the ProBowl the previous year. The fans may have been done with him but the coaches were not. And we are talking about a completely dysfunctional organization at the time. Remember, they reeled off 14 straight losses to end the season. And even still I contest the idea that he was given the keys to that Vega.
What Keenum was known for in college doesn't matter anymore. He's not an accurate NFL QB.
Only comparing what the two were known for coming out of college. And I disagree with you about Keenum's accuracy or that the book has been written on it. Are you saying Cousins was known for accuracy as he was learning the Redskins offense? o_O

No. I'm saying you stand a statistically better chance of picking a QB of the future in the first round than finding one in a UDFA journeyman.
But you can't do it in a bubble. You can say that you have a far greater chance of picking up a franchise QB early in the first. But can you say that trading away future 1st rounders has worked for the teams doing it?

Following is a list of QBs taken since '99. Of those QBs, which would you say Goff compares to? How many of those would you have mortgaged the future for and how many of them have led their teams to a Superbowl?

Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Michael Vick, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles.

Athos

Legend
He's already said Goffs game reminds him of Rivers.

I'd trade a shit ton for a Rivers type QB.

We'd be winning a lot of games.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not up on the latest reports on college QB this year, or how their individual seasons have gone, but I was under the impression that there were at least 4 good QB and 2 2nd or 3rd rounders as well that could work out in this draft. If that's true we need to get one. Keep Keenum by all means, he's a good spot starter and backup. Keep Mannion, dump Foles.
And I think it would be great to go get one of them as long as it doesn't mean mortgaging the farm.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's already said Goffs game reminds him of Rivers.

I'd trade a crap ton for a Rivers type QB.

We'd be winning a lot of games.
And how many Superbowls has he led them to? How many years worth of 1st rounders did they trade for his rights?

Athos

Legend
Who cares? This team should focus on winning seasons before SB aspirations.

Rivers doesn't have a RB like Todd or a supposed D like ours.

You can be content with what we have, but unless we suck shit in the right year, you're going to have to trade up for a QB that stays the starter for longer than a year or two for your team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Who cares? This team should focus on winning seasons before SB aspirations.

Rivers doesn't have a RB like Todd or a supposed D like ours.

You can be content with what we have, but unless we suck crap in the right year, you're going to have to trade up for a QB that stays the starter for longer than a year or two for your team.
He's had Antonio Gates, Darren Sproles, LaDanian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, and others, was coached by the alleged offensive guru in Norv Turner, and sat behind Drew Brees for two seasons.

Also, they had the #1 ranked offense AND defense in 2010 and won 9 games.

Athos

Legend
So what.

With Rivers level talent we are a playoff team. Everything after that is a crap shoot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So what.

With Rivers level talent we are a playoff team. Everything after that is a crap shoot.
Goff being Rivers is the crap shoot. Being able to replenish our cupboard through free agency and salary cap issues each year would be a crap shoot.

Athos

Legend
Whatever dude. I'd do whatever it took to get out of QB hell.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
And I think it would be great to go get one of them as long as it doesn't mean mortgaging the farm.

We may not have to if there is that many. Of course it's early, there's not been a chance for people to nitpick the scouting reports.

I will go on record saying that the BPA at our spot (barring any reasonable trade, obviously) is who we should get. Regardless of their position. Our best draft picks in the early rounds have come this way. I never used to think this way, until Donald and Gurley. Get a QB, don't reach for a QB out of desperation.

I've no more faith in Fisher anyway, so I'm not 100% sure I want him involved in drafting a 1st round QB. We'll get a guy who can bench 600 pounds, punches LBers, but averages 5 passing attempts per game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Whatever dude. I'd do whatever it took to get out of QB hell.
I'd do whatever it takes to win Superbowls. Simply having winning seasons doesn't mean much to me. I've been there with this team. Losing in the playoffs ain't all it's cracked up to be. Simply getting the best QB and still not making it to Superbowls while not being able to grab elite players like the WR we need doesn't do it for me. If I thought mortgaging our future first round picks would get us Superbowls, I'd be all for it. As it is, no one has done that to my knowledge so the idea that we will be the first is a pipe dream.

Athos

Legend
If you're happy with performances like this where you can't put the ball in the End Zone as a QB.....

Good luck.

Are passing attack is horse shit and I don't care Keenum put up some yards. It's about the points.

Now, I'm fucking out.

200_s.gif