Kenny Young Traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you look up Jones' highlights you'll see that clip of him running down the QB and shedding a TE in the flat to make the play and all that stuff but I think all those plays in between the splash plays say a lot about the LB and their ability to do their job. Basically do they play smart and execute the scheme. Here's a good example of that IMO...

Pre-snap Texas A&M in the redzone looking to score. Jones is at MIKE.
View attachment 49252

At the fake you can see Jones already moving to fill, this isn't a guy who will wait on the RB.
View attachment 49253

As the QB makes his move to the open edge Jones shadows him. He's not closing on him blindly which a lot of LBs would do right here.
View attachment 49254

He stays in his flat and is in position to close if needed.
View attachment 49255

At this point we see how important it was that he stay home. QB pulls up to make the quick TD toss to 28 but Jones feels it.
View attachment 49256

Mond throws it away. TD saving play there by the ILB simply playing his responsibility. This is a guy who will do his job and be consistent snap in and out IMO. Might just need time to fully get the scheme.
View attachment 49257

Lots of talk about Jones having excellent anticipation.

Whatever he lacks in speed, he makes up for by thinking and reacting faster.

Rams have a lot of smart players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
:fistbump1:

Sorry bro, couldn’t help myself. Been doing too much homework with the grandkids.

Speaking of kids. Mcvay probably said it best that the Kenny Young trade was about financials.
If you take a look at The Rams roster you will a lot of young players Les Snead has brought in.This extended(expanded lol )Covid roster really benefits The Rams.They do such an AMAZING job finding & developing players.
Troy Reeder basically is more dependable than Kenny Young,plus contract wise it makes sense.Denver is desperate & Young has really shown excellent improvement.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Grant Haley
Jamir Jones
Jared Pinkney
Copeland & E.Brown are back
Gervase as well.
Then Buddy Howell has been playing & replaced Jake Funk.
Antonio Brooks,Tyler Hall,& Kareem Orr are all on the roster & practice squad. These guys all play a big part of the development of this organization.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I may be speculating too much but from McVay's presser it sure sounds like they're gonna play less singlebacker D (guessing a three safety D will take much of it's place) and may put Jones at singlebacker at times but prob will see him mostly in base with Reeder.

Also, it sounds like that maybe Young winning the starting job was always a luxury they never anticipated and possibly had Jones pencilled into that role so it felt a little better to move him.

Again, may be speculating too much but check out McVay's presser.
Nothing wrong with speculating, despite a few people here seeming to have a problem with it. Exchange of ideas is why I come here.

RamWoodie

Legend
Just curious where you heard or read that?

Would love for the Rams to upgrade at ILB or CB but inclined to follow the commentary of Jourdan Rodrigue (above) who seems well clued-in on the Rams’ organization and strategy.
I heard it through Sosa Kremenjas on YouTube as he talked about the Young trade. When he mentioned Donta Hightower that made perfect sense to me. Especially when it fits to how Belichick moves his players as well as how Les Snead operates. It could very well happen.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Interesting, Morris seems to be saying during his presser that Jones will have some more pop to him than Young. I wonder if the thinking is that Jones will work better with run fits in the light boxes we try to run with the Staley defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was fine with Young. Played hard, good guy.. made some decent plays.
He’s terrible in coverage, so you’re not losing much, and he has no instinct. He sees stuff and then reacts.
Jones, we saw a glimpse of, can diagnose things before they happen. So, that’s different.
I think we’ll see plenty of Howard, too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some good quotes from Morris' recent presser and the presser at the bottom.

Jones' development:

“Just all of the normal rookie development, the control of the defense, the control of the huddle, the ability to go out there and set the front, set the defense, be able to communicate well with the safeties and talk about where a rotation is coming from, how are we doing it, what we expect from him. I've been really impressed with his constant development and going out there every single week and treating these weeks like he was going to be the starter, whether he was or not. And then to be able to go out there and get a couple of plays in the Giants game and when his number was called upon in some of our different packages. So, I'm really looking forward to him playing well and doing a nice job for us.”

Jones vs Young:

“A little bit different, a different player. You're talking about a bigger player, that plays with better length. He's able to use his hands better and get on and off blocks. Not as fast and not as explosive as a Kenny Young. But they have different traits, different reasons. He probably brings a little bit more pop. Maybe Kenny brought a little bit more quick twitch, in-space-tackling type of thing. But I believe the guys fit the mold to the structure in which you go out there and you saw the inside backers. Ultimately, it's guys that love the game and it's ultimately guys that love to go out there and control the game and do things for each other.”

Helping Jones:

“He’s got a lot of help around him. He's got a lot of guys that know a lot about the game when you're talking about Bash being out there and controlling that front, and you're talking about Jalen Ramsey being that star, or even when you put Double D inside, a guy that has been around for a while, has a lot of knowledge and a great communicator. And then behind him, Captain Fuller being one of the guys that can talk to him as well, and T-Rapp is another guy that's in the box a lot and plays some stuff next to him and alongside of him. And everybody communicates at a high level. So, the guys communicating around him, with him controlling it and him talking to all the guys, I think is the biggest thing. Communication breeds understanding and there is nothing like that when we're talking about a young player.”

Jones' evolution:

“To be honest with you, let’s go all the way back to the beginning, the evaluation of college tape. You look at him and you got to sit down in the room, you got all the decision makers in that room, along with the scouts, along with the people that do the numbers and they run everything in the building, the medical – everybody. You sit there and you tell them. You look at him from a player standpoint from his college days and you say, ‘This is a potential green dot candidate for us that can move forward in this organization and lead this team from the middle of the defense and be an absolute stud for us at some point.’ You just never know when it's going to happen, but you got to go out there and you got to think that about those players when you go out and draft them. Now it's an opportunity for them to go do it and now it’s up to him to make us right.”

Combined pressers:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=png6bk-DpEk&t=68s&ab_channel=LosAngelesRams

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lots of talk about Jones having excellent anticipation.

Whatever he lacks in speed, he makes up for by thinking and reacting faster.

Rams have a lot of smart players.

Hopefully his length and what you mention offsets his slower change of direction.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Linebacker Kenny Young is feeling a “whirlwind” of “mixed emotions” after the Rams traded him to the Broncos this week.

“It was something weird. I am not cool with it,” Young said Wednesday during a press conference in Denver.

The Rams traded Young days before the Nov. 2 trade deadline, for a light return that included a late-round pick swap in the 2024 draft.

He said the Rams’ decision to trade him had to do “with cap space” and “finances.” Los Angeles saved a reported $1.3 million in cap space by trading Young to Denver.

The Rams told him this trade had nothing to do with his on-field performance, saying it was about money.

“It had nothing to do with my on-the-field ability,” he said. “I was playing well, and the way the cap was structured, they needed to take the money off my deal to give [it] to guys in other areas and up-and-comers. It was about finances … I’m not cool with it, but I have to respect it because they had no other choice.”

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hopefully his length and what you mention offsets his slower change of direction.
I think he’ll play faster than Young, for the most part, and make a greater number of impactful plays, ultimately.
But I was not impressed with his tackling or actual speed at times in preseason.
We’re gonna find out!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think he’ll play faster than Young, for the most part, and make a greater number of impactful plays, ultimately.
But I was not impressed with his tackling or actual speed at times in preseason.
We’re gonna find out!
Seems like they'll be fine here and may have known what they were doing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“It had nothing to do with my on-the-field ability,” he said. “I was playing well, and the way the cap was structured, they needed to take the money off my deal to give [it] to guys in other areas and up-and-comers. It was about finances … I’m not cool with it, but I have to respect it because they had no other choice.”
Actually Young if you were better than the other cap savings possibilities it would have been one of them who got moved to save cap. So it did have to do with your on the field ability.

Feels nice to have a guy now who plays disciplined and doesn't ignore RBs in the flat or get lost in his drops. Hopefully Jones just keeps getting better and better too, I mean it's been a loooong time coming for us at ILB.

Also and btw having a guy like him in that front 7 who knows the call and who has what responsibilities might help some of these other guys around him too. Hope we see a lot more of these guys swarming like they were today for 3 quarters before Morris called off the dogs.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
250132482_10226733366061719_2113033898656034336_n.jpg