Kenny Young Traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Great listen from Jourdan on 11 Personnel on this. She's not ruling out them bringing someone in with a trade but she basically says Rams have nothing much more they can do for money except restructuring Hav and this trade. Only thing they have left after that is a restructure on Stafford. And they really didn't have any more money to pay game checks for guys elevated from PS.

She argues dynamic decision:
- needed the money
- do want to get Jones more snaps
- get something in return for a guy who wasn't going to be here next year (prob would have not gotten comp pick for him)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After watching Demario Davis (6’2” 248) destroy the hags Oline and RBs last night, that’s the kind of guy every team in every scheme could use.

If Jones (6’ 2” 230) can develop into a player that can have that kind of leadership and impact we will be loving this pick for the next decade.

Looks like it’s his time to step up.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm holding out hope that the Rams are figuring out a way to obtain Myles Jack.

If not, hopefully Ernest Jones proves me wrong. But, I just don't see it with this guy.
Jack is one of those guys who needs a psychiatrist. But yeah he is insanely talented. What could he do if he was engaged snap to snap? Probably talking Pro Bowl play.

Jones isn't a great athlete by any measure. He's just a junkyard dog type LB. My kind of LB. We've burned through so many fast types who dislike contact, I am tired of seeing guys on film who run around shit and let guys get by so they can tackle them from the side or behind instead of taking them head-on. Why not give this dude a spin. I'm excited man, and that's knowing that there is room for them to miss on him. He's certainly no slam dunk.

Great listen from Jourdan on 11 Personnel on this. She's not ruling out them bringing someone in with a trade but she basically says Rams have nothing much more they can do for money except restructuring Hav and this trade. Only thing they have left after that is a restructure on Stafford. And they really didn't have any more money to pay game checks for guys elevated from PS.

She argues dynamic decision:
- needed the money
- do want to get Jones more snaps
- get something in return for a guy who wasn't going to be here next year (prob would have not gotten comp pick for him)
Jourdan seems to get good info feeds from the staff so I don't doubt what she is saying.

But with Demoff running the cap I think they can do whatever they want. Personally I don't think a top player is coming our way. My guess is if they bring someone in it will be an underrated type who they liked coming out at one of the few positions where they need some help. That said never count these guys out on big moves and I don't.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm hearing a possible move for a LB that does make sense...and that's Donta Hightower.

The thinking is Hightower's 8.8 mil is mostly paid and that will make it easier for the Pats to move him.

I think he'll look good in blue & gold!!! :thumbsup1:

jjab360

Legend
Had to have been something behind the scenes, doesn't make much sense for a 6-1 starter to trade away a starter for peanuts.

I liked Young's fire and physically the guy was a beast. Not much help in coverage though, I guess. Next man up!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hearing a possible move for a LB that does make sense...and that's Donta Hightower.

The thinking is Hightower's 8.8 mil is mostly paid and that will make it easier for the Pats to move him.

That bastid killed us in the Super Bowl. Nasty rusher or at least he was.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Just curious where you heard or read that?

Would love for the Rams to upgrade at ILB or CB but inclined to follow the commentary of Jourdan Rodrigue (above) who seems well clued-in on the Rams’ organization and strategy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting thought Elm. I think you've been reading too much DTR but it's an intriguing angle. :laugh4:

What is nice with Jones is that he's the first non-souped-up-safety that the Rams have targeted and drafted. Ogletree was an oversized safety. Littleton was too. Neither of those guys were any good at stacking OL, shedding them, or getting through traffic. They both covered good ground and could make splash plays but snap to snap were meh. Young was very much an extension of that mold, not as good as either of them but his speed was nice.

Jones is going to need time but it's really exciting to see us bring in a guy who is a little more meat 'n potatoes. He's got a LOT more dawg in him than those safety types. This is gonna be fun to watch him develop, he's gonna fuck up but being in that lineup should boost the mental resilience because he's also a leader.
What is DTR?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
After watching Demario Davis (6’2” 248) destroy the hags Oline and RBs last night, that’s the kind of guy every team in every scheme could use.
Davis has been around. The Jets had him for four seasons before he became a free agent and signed with Cleveland.

After one season with the Browns, Gregg Williams came in as the Browns new Defensive Coordinator and Davis was traded ... to the Jets! Consider Gregg Williams to be one of the most over-rated DCs of all time.

After one more year in New York, the Jets lost him ... Again ... in free agency.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
If Williams and Rochelle were healthy, I would probably prefer them with Ramsey as the Rams' top-3 CBs ... even if Hill was still around.
kristen-bell-nah.gif

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Its about Young...a middling ILB vs a vet CB tgat you absolutely need to beat the Cards, Bucs, Cowboys, and Packers...and especially of you lose a CB. They are so thin at that position.

3rd CB > than ILB

And it's not like they traded Ray Lewis. Young's impact isn't close to what a CB can provide.

Who made a bigger impact in that Cardinal game... Young or David Long?
Well Young couldn't make a tackle on a 3rd and 16 and Long couldn't single cover a fly route so I'd say they were both bad. Lol! But yes, I agree that Long's mistakes have been more costly.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Big Question nobody has cleared up just yet what position does DC Morris want Jones to play?

Do the Rams want Rookie Ernest Jones starting in what was Kenny Young ILB'er positions or does DC Morris want to see Rookie Ernest Jones playing in the base MLB post where Troy Reeder would line up?

DC Morris has a 4th season ILB'er named Travin Howard who has been around now for a while. Known for playing the hybrid safety/LB posts for TCU. The rams are sitting on a Kenny Young type close here already. Howard is healthy & ready to start now. So there are no issues ongoing @ ILB'er post where Young did play.
Good point! We also still don't know what's going on with the TE position. Lot's of questions to be answered before we play Green Bay.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I may be speculating too much but from McVay's presser it sure sounds like they're gonna play less singlebacker D (guessing a three safety D will take much of it's place) and may put Jones at singlebacker at times but prob will see him mostly in base with Reeder.

Also, it sounds like that maybe Young winning the starting job was always a luxury they never anticipated and possibly had Jones pencilled into that role so it felt a little better to move him.

Again, may be speculating too much but check out McVay's presser.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I may be speculating too much but from McVay's presser it sure sounds like they're gonna play less singlebacker D (guessing a three safety D will take much of it's place) and may put Jones at singlebacker at times but prob will see him mostly in base with Reeder.

Also, it sounds like that maybe Young winning the starting job was always a luxury they never anticipated and possibly had Jones pencilled into that role so it felt a little better to move him.

Again, may be speculating too much but check out McVay's presser.
I think Rapp's play last week helped kick start this or confirmed what they were planning in regards to moving Young.

Rapp will be playing there half the time against these pass heavy offenses and is a big improvement in coverage.

Add CB help and the pass defense gets a big boost overall.

Also, they know last time they made a big in season move on a contending team, they got Fowler who made an impact to get them to the SB

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well Young couldn't make a tackle on a 3rd and 16 and Long couldn't single cover a fly route so I'd say they were both bad. Lol! But yes, I agree that Long's mistakes have been more costly.
Yeah, i remember that... He misses a lot of tackles. Probably another item that kicked started this. He is like Ogletree-lite... Makes some splash plays, but he overruns a lot of plays and misses too many tackles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you look up Jones' highlights you'll see that clip of him running down the QB and shedding a TE in the flat to make the play and all that stuff but I think all those plays in between the splash plays say a lot about the LB and their ability to do their job. Basically do they play smart and execute the scheme. Here's a good example of that IMO...

Pre-snap Texas A&M in the redzone looking to score. Jones is at MIKE.
1635286646038.png

At the fake you can see Jones already moving to fill, this isn't a guy who will wait on the RB.
1635286840599.png

As the QB makes his move to the open edge Jones shadows him. He's not closing on him blindly which a lot of LBs would do right here.
1635286943659.png

He stays in his flat and is in position to close if needed.
1635287059326.png

At this point we see how important it was that he stay home. QB pulls up to make the quick TD toss to 28 but Jones feels it.
1635287171796.png

Mond throws it away. TD saving play there by the ILB simply playing his responsibility. This is a guy who will do his job and be consistent snap in and out IMO. Might just need time to fully get the scheme.
1635287245727.png