Kendall Blanton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, of course, everything really depends on how much CAP the Rams can open up with all the potential extensions that may be offered, that and who will become CAP Casualties during the off-season. It's just too hard to predict right now. Njoku might get a contract averaging something approaching $7.mil, but if it's a longer term contract as I imagine, his 2022 CAP hit is likely closer to $4.mil.
jmo.

I think Njoku would look good in McVay’s offense. I haven’t seen a ton of the Browns but what I have I really liked Njoku’s athleticism. He would do well here.

Not sure the Rams spend their precious cap that way, though.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
How is Njoku's run blocking? Rams TEs need to know how to block. Heck, even the Rams WRs are relied upon to block in this scheme!

Njoku is certainly athletic. He's particularly intriguing because we have seen first hand with OBJ that you cannot judge a skill player by his numbers in Cleveland. But, if he cannot block at an above-average level, I am not interested. With Gerald Everett, the Rams already tried the "TE2 is athletic but only an average blocker" thing. The experiment was not a failure. It had its moments and brought a nice element to the offense. But as with Everett, it's not worth the cap hit, at the dollar value Njoku is likely to command.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How is Njoku's run blocking? Rams TEs need to know how to block. Heck, even the Rams WRs are relied upon to block in this scheme!

Njoku is certainly athletic. He's particularly intriguing because we have seen first hand with OBJ that you cannot judge a skill player by his numbers in Cleveland. But, if he cannot block at an above-average level, I am not interested. With Gerald Everett, the Rams already tried the "TE2 is athletic but only an average blocker" thing. The experiment was not a failure. It had its moments and brought a nice element to the offense. But as with Everett, it's not worth the cap hit, at the dollar value Njoku is likely to command.

"The play highlighted everything Njoku brings to the offense. At 6-foot-4 and 246 pounds, he's always one of the biggest skill position guys on the field, and he uses it to not only stretch big gains from passes but also generate blocks in the run game.
The latter trait has steadily progressed in each of the last two seasons from the perspective of offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt."

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I've been waiting for us to target Blanton on something like that in the Redzone. He's got a ton of upside and we need to keep using him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been waiting for us to target Blanton on something like that in the Redzone. He's got a ton of upside and we need to keep using him.
I personally didn't like how he caught those balls or how he moved with the ball.

Sorry, but I just don't see him being a big contributor in the future. Maybe I'm expecting too much fluidity from a TE but IMO, he's nowhere near Higbeast in talent and ability.

Hopefully he makes me eat crow. I could go for another big RedZone threat.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I personally didn't like how he caught those balls or how he moved with the ball.

Sorry, but I just don't see him being a big contributor in the future. Maybe I'm expecting too much fluidity from a TE but IMO, he's nowhere near Higbeast in talent and ability.

He's definitely a better blocker than receiver, but hey, that's what we needed: a better blocking tight end to match up with Higbee. As for Higbee, he's a top five tight end when healthy. It's not fair to ask Blanton to be as good - just be as reliable.

Psycho_X

Legend
Blanton has certainly earned himself a spot as a #2 TE with his play in the playoffs. It'll be his to lose in training camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree. And playing well in the Super Bowl will cement that 2 role. 86 is a guy I'm gonna be pulling hard for in this one.

Plus if Blanton by some miracle has an MVP type game we can say the Rams 86'd the Bengals. :laugh2:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. And playing well in the Super Bowl will cement that 2 role. 86 is a guy I'm gonna be pulling hard for in this one.

Plus if Blanton by some miracle has an MVP type game we can say the Rams 86'd the Bengals. :laugh2:
1644540955785.png

There would be KAOS should that happen!

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith

So far, I think he has exceeded expectations. He's made big grabs, and for some reason, while he seems slow and somewhat un-athletic, he gets the first down.
Maybe there's something to this guy.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He might not be the biggest or fastest TE but the dude catches everything that's thrown his way. He's got some soft hands and is good at finding holes in zone coverage

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Everetts problem wasn't talent, he made some great catches and blocks for the Rams. His problem was he would take plays off. It showed up on film time and time again. Because some of the catches and blocks he would make was on the elite level at time.s And then the next play he'd completely wiff on an easier assignment. Jmo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everett was a shitter tbh. Just another guy who rarely could play up to his talent. We got some production out of him but I consider that pick a miss personally.

Rams need to do a better job drafting TE. And they should be able to, given that McVay was a fucking TE coach.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Everett was a shitter tbh. Just another guy who rarely could play up to his talent. We got some production out of him but I consider that pick a miss personally.

Rams need to do a better job drafting TE. And they should be able to, given that McVay was a fucking TE coach.
Not every pick is gonna be kupp

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Blanton really stepped it up after Higbee was out. Gotta give him credit. He made some clutch catches whether they were pretty or not. Gotta give him a shout out. Hope he can do the same this Sunday. Another weapon to use as far as I'm concerned. :clinkingbeer: