Kelvin Benjamin did what?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...da-state-wr-kelvin-benjamin-blows-off-workout

In an interview last August, five months before he would catch the game-winner in the National Championship Game for Florida State, Kelvin Benjamin labeled himself "lazy," admitting he "didn't have a good attitude" and took "plays off."

Since then, there had been nothing but praise for the wide receiver's work ethic. Until now.

According to NFL Media analyst Gil Brandt, when an NFL coach recently went to work Benjamin out, the wideouttold the coach "he was too tired" and blew off the workout.

Not good news for someone who'sweight was recently called into questionby NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.

Brandt later posted on Twitter that Benjamin's agent, Eugene Parker, told him the receiver did not blow off a workout. Brandt, however, said he is sticking with his story from his source.

We checked in with two NFL scouts that cover the Southeast region of the country and had compiled notes on Benjamin through interviews, including one-on-ones with the receiver. Both said work-ethic and attitude issues surfaced in his first two years at FSU, but he seemed to turn things around last season.

"I think he really understood that he wasn't going to succeed on talent alone," one of the scouts said.

One scout, after being told of the story of the blown-off workout, speculated that Benjamin's agent might have given him the advice, perhaps not wanting his client to work out for a team at the lower end of the first round because he might have heard he'll go higher. It's a decent theory considering the ACL-tear injury suffered by guard Brandon Thomas during a recent workout for the New Orleans Saints. Limiting workouts, especially ones deemed unnecessary by some, limits exposure to injury.

NFL Media analysts have Benjamin going anywhere from No. 22 to the Philadelphia Eagles to No. 32 to the Seattle Seahawks in their mock drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That can't help. Maybe he was angry because he read that article about NFL teams not liking 240+ lb receivers. So he sat in his room and ate some crispy cremes instead of working out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe it is like he article suggests and he didn't want that team to draft him, per his agents advice, or he was avoiding injury. But didn't he think that news would make its way around the league?

I'll show up at he interview, but I ain't answering any questions!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Maybe it is like he article suggests and he didn't want that team to draft him, per his agents advice, or he was avoiding injury. But didn't he think that news would make its way around the league?

In all reality it probably doesn't matter a lick. If he blew it off because he didn't want to go to that team it might raise a red-flag for some teams that had some mild interest in him...but if there are teams that had already been targeting him at a certain pick they will go ahead and still do their diligence in scouting him...and it only takes one team to decide he is their guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or it could make teams that were on the fence about him and his work ethic fall right off the fence and look elsewhere. Teams pay attention to all of this stuff.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Or it could make teams that were on the fence about him and his work ethic fall right off the fence and look elsewhere. Teams pay attention to all of this stuff.
I essentially said that...I almost guarantee you that there are teams right now that have been targeting him for the 2nd round that this does absolutely nothing to.

I'll bet you he ends up getting selected in the range almost exactly where he has been projected.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

So you get paid a king's ransom to play a game for a living, and you want to try and influence where you're going to be drafted? My God, the entitlement of these immature brats. Take what you can get, and be happy with it. It's your rookie year, you should be foaming at the mouth just at the opportunity to be drafted in the first round.

Dude sounds lazier than Clowney. JMHO.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sounds like what happened to Alshon Jeffrey. Unless there's proof of this- and it happening to more than one team-, I'm not going to beleive it. Sounds too much like a team wants him to fall to them.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
All valid perspectives then again ,just maybe he'd worn himself out trying to get ready and WAS too tired. SOMETIMES people actually tell the truth:cautious:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

I don't buy the risk of injury thing that's been suggested (not by you gnome, i know you're only repeating what others have said). What do the scouts force these kids to do at these workouts? Plus if they're so fragile that their concerned that an injury might be incurred at one of these workouts then maybe the NFL isn't for them.

Good luck to him working at McD's

If he does end up in McD's will he be "too tired" to operate the deep fat fryer?

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't buy the risk of injury thing that's been suggested (not by you gnome, i know you're only repeating what others have said). What do the scouts force these kids to do at these workouts? Plus if they're so fragile that their concerned that an injury might be incurred at one of these workouts then maybe the NFL isn't for them.

If he does end up in McD's will he be "too tired" to operate the deep fat fryer?

yeah the fries would be under cooked or burnt all the time!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
hmmm... good move, my motto is always NEVER p*** anyone off on the way up the ladder, you never know who you'll want to catch you on the way back down...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you get paid a king's ransom to play a game for a living, and you want to try and influence where you're going to be drafted? My God, the entitlement of these immature brats. Take what you can get, and be happy with it. It's your rookie year, you should be foaming at the mouth just at the opportunity to be drafted in the first round.

Dude sounds lazier than Clowney. JMHO.

I still remember Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego back in the day. How is that relevant? It's not. Just interesting thinking about it.

As far as Benjamin goes, I'm not a fan based on film. Would rather us not draft him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think he is very good either. If he is trying to be choosy about who is picking him then he is a so so player with a prima donna attitude. Pass.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I still remember Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego back in the day. How is that relevant? It's not. Just interesting thinking about it.

As far as Benjamin goes, I'm not a fan based on film. Would rather us not draft him.
Elway did the same thing ostensibly and FWIW I can't say I blame a player for not wanting to play for an organization that doesn't care about winning or is so incompetently run that winning isn't possible,sure they get big bucks but the Alex Barrons who ONLY care about the money and don't care where they play are the ones I'm more leery of.

If I was a player about to be drafted by a bottom feeder and I had a choice to go to a traditionally good organization,I grab the chance, HELL these guys pick the school they go to, so the NFL because WE WANT a better team SHOULD be able to tell them with no input from them they MUST play here,nah that's a mild form of slavery.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
LOL! I respect that. If he's there in the fourth then I'd take a flyer. :D

He won't make it to the third round.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Elway did the same thing ostensibly and FWIW I can't say I blame a player for not wanting to play for an organization that doesn't care about winning or is so incompetently run that winning isn't possible,sure they get big bucks but the Alex Barrons who ONLY care about the money and don't care where they play are the ones I'm more leery of.

If I was a player about to be drafted by a bottom feeder and I had a choice to go to a traditionally good organization,I grab the chance, HELL these guys pick the school they go to, so the NFL because WE WANT a better team SHOULD be able to tell them with no input from them they MUST play here,nah that's a mild form of slavery.

That's what I'm saying. It's like 1% of the population that gets to play in the NFL. You should feel lucky to go to any team.