Keenum’s late-season success in Houston comes as no surprise to Rams coach/McClain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Keenum’s late-season success in Houston comes as no surprise to Rams coach
Posted on March 25, 2015 | By John McClain

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...omes-as-no-surprise-to-rams-coach/#31508101=0

PHOENIX – After watching quarterback Case Keenum leave St. Louis for the Texans late in the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was determined to get him back.

It didn’t cost much – a seventh-round pick in 2016 the Texans will use to replace the selection they dealt to New England for Ryan Mallett – and Fisher is happy to get Keenum back in St. Louis.

Keenum signed with the Rams last year after the Texans waived him and traded for Mallett. Keenum had to watch and learn as the third-team quarterback behind Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.

This season, Keenum will compete with Davis for the backup job behind newly acquired Nick Foles.

“We really like Case,” Fisher said. “He was making progress, but he didn’t really get a lot of practice time he would have liked. He was our third, and usually the third doesn’t get a lot of reps. He would stay out after practice working.”

When the Texans lost quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tom Savage – following on the heels of Mallett’s season-ending injury – general manager Rick Smith called the Rams.

There were two games left in the season, and the Texans were 7-7 after losing at Indianapolis.

“When Rick called, obviously, they needed a quarterback,” Fisher said. “The injury thing became difficult for them. Case knew their system. He was really the only guy out there familiar with the system who could plug in and play right away.”

With Keenum at quarterback, the Texans defeated Baltimore 25-13 and Jacksonville 23-17 to finish 9-7.

In his two starts, Keenum was 45-of-70 (58.4 percent) for 584 yards and two touchdowns. He threw two interceptions.

Rather than try to make the team with Mallett, Savage and Brian Hoyer the favorites to secure spots, Keenum wanted to return to the Rams.

“I wasn’t surprised at all,” Fisher said about Keenum going 2-0. “When the season was over, we gave them a call.”

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We should never have cut him in the first place, I recon it was Cignetti's call to get him back.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We should never have cut him in the first place, I recon it was Cignetti's call to get him back.
We didn't "cut" him...He was signed off the practice squad...But I get what you're saying...I woulda gave the season to Davis, used Keenum as the backup....Time to move on from the old things in life....Is my wife a member here on ROD? Them's just jokes baby....

jjab360

Legend
We didn't "cut" him...He was signed off the practice squad...But I get what you're saying...I woulda gave the season to Davis, used Keenum as the backup....Time to move on from the old things in life....Is my wife a member here on ROD? Them's just jokes baby....
We did cut him. We had to to sign him to the practice squad.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I meant cut him from the active roster as @jjab360 said - but I'm with you on the Davis #1 and Keenum #2, we all knew we weren't going to win the SB with Hill at the helm

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Too short for my liking, however, he has a stronger arm than Davis and we'll see if he can beat him out because IMO either Bryce Petty or Garrett Grayson will the number 3 QB in 2015.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
This is probably the biggest load of crap I have heard from Fisher. Let's break it down.

"After watching quarterback Case Keenum leave St. Louis for the Texans late in the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was determined to get him back." Then why did you let him go in the first place? Davis was sucking big time and we know Hill was always a backup. Yet you did not play Keenum when you had no other QB and the season was lost.

“We really like Case,” Fisher said. Then why was he on the practice squad?

“He was making progress, but he didn’t really get a lot of practice time he would have liked. He was our third, and usually the third doesn’t get a lot of reps." And whose fault is it that he did not get a lot of Reps? Then get him more reps! It's not rocket science.

"“I wasn’t surprised at all,” Fisher said about Keenum going 2-0." Really? Then why we you not playing him? Maybe he could have gone 2-0 for the Rams.

At the end of the season we all saw that Davis is not an NFL caliber QB. But Fisher decided to keep him anyway and watch Keenum leave. Then to go back and spend a 7th round pick to get him back is just unbelievable. I have absolutely no faith that Fisher at all. I did not like the hiring and I like it even less now. The only way the Rams go 8-8 or better is if the defense wins the games.

Now for the positive since I am always ragging on the Rams. The Rams have some very good coaches. Fisher does a pretty good job evaluating talent. Maybe he should be an assistant to Les Snead. Les Snead is the man. He reminds me of a mini Jerry West. Kronke is a very good owner, Rams fans are very lucky we have him. With Snead there is hope the Rams can rebound and be a winning team. We just need another HC.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Too short for my liking, however, he has a stronger arm than Davis and we'll see if he can beat him out because IMO either Bryce Petty or Garrett Grayson will the number 3 QB in 2015.
I'm thinking Case will beat Davis for the #3 spot. Mainly because of his Playing experience.

jjab360

Legend
This is probably the biggest load of crap I have heard from Fisher. Let's break it down.

"After watching quarterback Case Keenum leave St. Louis for the Texans late in the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was determined to get him back." Then why did you let him go in the first place? Davis was sucking big time and we know Hill was always a backup. Yet you did not play Keenum when you had no other QB and the season was lost.

“We really like Case,” Fisher said. Then why was he on the practice squad?

“He was making progress, but he didn’t really get a lot of practice time he would have liked. He was our third, and usually the third doesn’t get a lot of reps." And whose fault is it that he did not get a lot of Reps? Then get him more reps! It's not rocket science.

"“I wasn’t surprised at all,” Fisher said about Keenum going 2-0." Really? Then why we you not playing him? Maybe he could have gone 2-0 for the Rams.

At the end of the season we all saw that Davis is not an NFL caliber QB. But Fisher decided to keep him anyway and watch Keenum leave. Then to go back and spend a 7th round pick to get him back is just unbelievable. I have absolutely no faith that Fisher at all. I did not like the hiring and I like it even less now. The only way the Rams go 8-8 or better is if the defense wins the games.

Now for the positive since I am always ragging on the Rams. The Rams have some very good coaches. Fisher does a pretty good job evaluating talent. Maybe he should be an assistant to Les Snead. Les Snead is the man. He reminds me of a mini Jerry West. Kronke is a very good owner, Rams fans are very lucky we have him. With Snead there is hope the Rams can rebound and be a winning team. We just need another HC.
When we cut Keenum it was because we had just traded for Mark Barron and need the room on the 53. It's not because he was the least talented of the 3, but he had only been here a few weeks and Davis and Hill were far more comfortable with the playbook. We signed him to the practice squad and were hoping that nobody would sign him and we would be able to bring him back next season, but we lost that bet to the Texans. I'm assuming because of injuries to their QBs, but tbh I paid next to no attention to the Texans last year.

Anyway, we were heading into next season with Foles but needed a backup so we tossed a future 7th the Texans' way for a guy we didn't really want to lose in the first place. And Jesus H. Christ, I don't understand the feigned outrage over a 2016 7th round pick. There's a reason the NFL throws 7th round compensatory picks around like free candy, because nobody gives a shit about picks that low in the draft. Whoever you take that late is basically a glorified UDFA.

Hope that cleared the situation up for you, although tbh it looks like you were just looking for a reason to rag on Fisher who you didn't want us to hire in the first place. There are better reasons out there, though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then to go back and spend a 7th round pick to get him back is just unbelievable. I have absolutely no faith that Fisher at all. I did not like the hiring and I like it even less now. The only way the Rams go 8-8 or better is if the defense wins the games.
Because he burned a 7th?

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

bskrilla

Starter
Everybody seems to think we just cut him last year and then traded a 7th for him this year which does indeed sound silly, but that's not exactly what happened.

We put him on the PS to make room for important players and then he was claimed off the PS.

We wanted him the whole time we just had to make room on the 53 for more important/experienced pieces. I'm totally cool with trading a 7th for a player we like. Chances of hitting on a 7th are like 1 in a million. Seriously.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Everybody seems to think we just cut him last year and then traded a 7th for him this year which does indeed sound silly, but that's not exactly what happened.

We put him on the PS to make room for important players and then he was claimed off the PS.

We wanted him the whole time we just had to make room on the 53 for more important/experienced pieces. I'm totally cool with trading a 7th for a player we like. Chances of hitting on a 7th are like 1 in a million. Seriously.

But we did cut him to put him on our PS. I'm sure we could have put someone else on the PS IF Fisher wanted to keep him so bad, but IMO a 7th is good for him.

thehammer

Rookie
teams keep crap on their ps not qb's with potential...if Fisher really liked Keenum he should of been on the 53 roster...using a 7th rd pick to get him back just makes Fisher look even more foolish..and Houston even smarter

after we lost Keenum expected we would bring back Gilbert. Instead Leigh Steinberg had him sign with with NE...and he made a comment about wanting him playing with a top organization...Brady and Garoppolo ahead of him and he goes there instead of trying to beat out Austin Davis?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This "Keenum/Fisher looks looks silly now" talk is analysis paralysis. Either that or some of you just like to whine over the small stuff.

Rams went in with Bradford, Hill, Davis and Gilbert in the mix. Keenum came later and didn't have near the playbook knowledge of Sam, Shaun or Austin. Coaches don't generally throw young QB's into those situations(when your starter and backup go down). Arians in AZ refused to throw Logan Thomas into the fire last season after his top 2 QB's got wrecked. The fat bastard went with Lindley who he knew was terrible but knew the playbook.

Fisher likes Keenum as a developmental kid. Shit happens to the roster as you get deeper into the season. Guys get hurt, guys get let go, guys get picked up. We traded a 7th to ensure that he can go into camp as a Ram and start learning the offense. Better Keenum than Gilbert ala 2014.

Offseason armchair GM's with torches and pitchforks crying over nothing...[sigh]

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
When Keenum has played well, he reminds me of a poor man's Russell Wilson of a couple years ago. The way he escapes pressure with his mobility and keeps his head up looking downfield. I'm looking forward to how he does in training camp. Not sure he's a guy who you can build around though.

Alan

Legend
thehammer not believing Fish:
teams keep crap on their ps not qb's with potential...if Fisher really liked Keenum he should of been on the 53 roster...using a 7th rd pick to get him back just makes Fisher look even more foolish..and Houston even smarter

after we lost Keenum expected we would bring back Gilbert. Instead Leigh Steinberg had him sign with with NE...and he made a comment about wanting him playing with a top organization...Brady and Garoppolo ahead of him and he goes there instead of trying to beat out Austin Davis?
That's a huge oversimplification hammer. Other posters have mentioned that Case was way behind the other QBs on our roster as far as the playbook was concerned and stood very little chance of playing last year. The same can't be said for the players we DID keep on the 53. It's not like Case had shown much in the NFL up to that point. He still hasn't shown much and those last two games with the Texans? How about Davis's first three games with the Rams? Virtually meaningless. He was an undrafted UDFA who spent the entire 2012 season (his first) on the Texan PS and they only brought him back because all their QBs went down with injury and he was the only QB on the planet who knew their playbook and could step in during the emergency.

I'm not sure what your agenda is when you point to what some idiot said about him wanting to go to a "top organization" like that actually means something. Also, it's not a question of beating out Davis. The time to beat out another player is during training camp/pre-season. The only way Case was ever going to see the field is if Davis and Hill both got injured. I think you've made it plain that you don't think we're a "top organization" but letting your bias bleed over into this conversation is...not advancing the discussion, just muddying it.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm thinking Case will beat Davis for the #3 spot. Mainly because of his Playing experience.

Agreed that Keenum has had more starts, however, Davis did gain starting experience last season...In the end Davis will have to outplay him because IMO, Fisher came away impressed that Keenum quarterbacked his team to victory against a playoff team and a division rival who was very solid defensively albeit that Case Keenum was 0-8 in his starts the previous year.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach with this:
Fisher came away impressed that Keenum quarterbacked his team to victory against a playoff team and a division rival who was very solid defensively
Davis vs Cowgirls 98.0 QBR Playoff team
Davis vs Seahags 132.3 QBR Playoff team (SB participant) and EXTREMELY solid defensive division rival

Keenum vs Ravens 50.2 QBR very solid defensive Playoff team
Keenum vs Jags 98.5 QBR

Last edited: