Keenum’s late-season success in Houston comes as no surprise to Rams coach/McClain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Davis vs Cowgirls 98.0 QBR Playoff team
Davis vs Seahags 132.3 QBR Playoff team (SB participant) and EXTREMELY solid defensive division rival

No debating that sir, but as time went on Davis seem to struggle with the arm strength (not velocity) but being able to throw the ball deep consistently seem to come into question. With Davis at QB a team seems to suffer from vertical congestion whereas Keenum's arm appears much stronger with the ability to get the ball deep.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach noting that his play deteriorated:
No debating that sir, but as time went on Davis seem to struggle and the arm strength (not velocity) but being able to throw the ball deep consistently seem to come into question. With Davis at QB a team seems to suffer from vertical congenstion whereas Keenum's arm appears much stronger with the ability to get the ball deep.
Just a reminder, you need to wait a couple of minutes for me to make my edits if you want to respond to everything I wanted to say. Sorry, vision problems.

That's true den but opposing D's didn't have time to learn where Kenum's deficiences were and the Texans, it could be argued, had a better O-line and WR corps than what Davis had. That just points out the inherent inaccuracy of using a small sample to determine anything. I don't necessarily disagree with your take on this, I just don't have enough data to come to any conclusion about their relative worth. Even on an interim basis.

IMO, they both have strong and weak points and it's going to be an interesting battle between them in TC and the preseason. Although that battle might not take place if we draft a QB with a high draft pick. I doubt either of them will really get a long and informative look were that to happen. I think the probable result (barring a fantastic or really crappy TC performance by one of them) will be Keenum ousting Davis and Davis going to the PS because we know nobody wants Davis and we have a 7th round pick invested in Case.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“We really like Case,” Fisher said. Then why was he on the practice squad?

“He was making progress, but he didn’t really get a lot of practice time he would have liked. He was our third, and usually the third doesn’t get a lot of reps."
I still don't know when to believe Fish, or when he's just BS-ing....They obviously knew that he was decent, but circumstances required them to put him on the PS....I must assume they like him more than Davis...just a guess.

teams keep crap on their ps not qb's with potential...if Fisher really liked Keenum he should of been on the 53 roster...using a 7th rd pick to get him back just makes Fisher look even more foolish..and Houston even smarter

after we lost Keenum expected we would bring back Gilbert. Instead Leigh Steinberg had him sign with with NE...and he made a comment about wanting him playing with a top organization...Brady and Garoppolo ahead of him and he goes there instead of trying to beat out Austin Davis?
most interesting quote...it made me look deeper @Amitar 's quote...why would the Rams do this? It actually made me change my stance...You guys may have a point...Perhaps the Snisher are feeling a lil heat...Panicking...I'd hate to say that and it not be true but it appears to be a desperation type move..Not sure of themselves...Why not keep Gilbert? Leigh had some drug problems, but what if that's the perception of skill players around the league?

Either that or some of you just like to whine over the small stuff.
Whine, no....just analyze a very innocent off-season move that could shed some light on the inner workings of our organization...We are going to find out a whole bunch about our Rams due to some move made in March...Trust me...we will re-visit this.

IMO, they both have strong and weak points and it's going to be an interesting battle between them in TC and the preseason. Although that battle might not take place if we draft a QB with a high draft pick. I doubt either of them will really get a long and informative look were that to happen. I think the probable result (barring a fantastic or really crappy TC performance by one of them) will be Keenum ousting Davis and Davis going to the PS because we know nobody wants Davis and we have a 7th round pick invested in Case.
I keep wondering, has Davis signed a contract or is he like McLeod, only tendered? I don't know who I like better Davis, who threw for 300+ yards in some games, but threw some huge picks....or Keenum? Still haven't really seen Keenum....
I hope we DRAFT a QB...Seriously....Hundley, Petty...somebody....so we don't have to worry about the 3rd & 4th stringers and what they are looking like...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, because praising him then letting him go and having to pay anything to get him back just makes you look like a fool.
It's not as simple as that. When Bradford went down they needed an emergency QB, and Keenum was available off waivers from Houston. He was never going to see the field being signed that late with Hill and Davis both having the benefit of the entire offseason to get the offense down. Fisher could have put Keenum in anyway, but it would have been at the expense of what the offense could do as a whole (playbook would have been scaled back).

You always take your chances with having players on the practice squad, and the Rams felt like it was highly unlikely that anyone was going to add him to their 53 midseason. Were it not for Fitz getting injured, chances are the Rams would have never lost him anyway. While we're at it, one could easily make the argument that Houston was stupid for waiving him in the first place if he was so valuable. We're talking about a 7th round draft pick for crying out loud. If the Rams wanted to use that on a QB in the draft, would they get a guy as NFL ready as Keenum? No. You can say it makes them look like a fool, but I choose to believe it's not even close to being a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Certainly not worthy of calling into question these guys' intelligence or competence.

Alan

Legend
flv thinking it isn't real:
Spotrac has the same line about all RFAs signing their tender. Players that have signed such as King, (P for the Raiders), have a note on the right of the Spotrac page stating the date they signed. Most simply say "Assigned a 1 year $1.542 million tender". I can't find anything to confirm any of the Rams RFAs signing their tenders. As far as I know Davis hasn't signed his tender.
You could be right flv. I confess that I took the first google response and went with it. I'll look into it some more myself tomorrow. If I remember. I think I remember reading something on the PD concerning that. Or something by JT.

The site does say this though:
"Austin Davis signed a 1 year, $1,542,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $1,542,000. In 2015, Davis will earn a base salary of $1,542,000. Davis has a cap hit of $1,542,000." so....