Keenum says he didn't trust himself in Week 1 blowout loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Case Keenum says he didn't trust himself in Week 1 blowout loss to the 49ers

By Gary Klein

The Rams put their trust in Case Keenum, making him the starting quarterback despite the selection of Jared Goff with the No. 1 pick in the draft.

After playing poorly in a season-opening defeat against the San Francisco 49ers, Keenum said Wednesday that he needed to trust himself and not overthink decisions.

“I think I was seeing ghosts,” Keenum said of his struggles against the 49ers. “I was seeing things that weren’t there. I wasn’t trusting myself and my abilities.”

The Rams need Keenum to quickly right himself.

The Seattle Seahawks, fresh off a come-from-behind victory over the Miami Dolphins, are coming to the Coliseum for the Rams’ home opener. Sunday’s game marks Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll’s return to the stadium where he led USC for nine seasons.

Keenum played efficiently during exhibitions, and he appeared to start off smoothly in the first few plays against the 49ers.

But the Rams’ offense fell apart.

Keenum completed 17 of 35 passes for only 130 yards and had two passes intercepted on a night when the 49ers shut down running back Todd Gurley. Keenum was sacked twice and hit hard multiple times.

“He made some plays and then missed some opportunities,” CoachJeff Fisher said. “We just have to make sure we take advantage of those opportunities when they’re there.”

Several of Keenum’s passes were nowhere near their targets, which can sometimes indicate that receivers did not run the correct route. Keenum put the blame on himself.

“It was me overthinking it: ‘Maybe they were going to this because of this, this and this,’ ” he said. “Just trust what you see and let it fly, and that’s what I’m going to do.”

The Seahawks gave up only 10 points in their opener and feature one of the NFL’s most aggressive defenses.

Last season, Keenum helped lead the Rams to a 23-17 victory over the Seahawks at CenturyLink Stadium. He completed 14 of 23 passes for 103 yards as the Rams beat the Seahawks for the second time in 2015 and the third time in the last four games.

“I just have to let the game come to me,” Keenum said. “Take what the defense gives me, trust my teammates … and get the ball out of my hands to the right place.”

Gurley did not practice Wednesday — “A coaches’ decision,” Fisher said — but is expected to return Thursday.

The Rams need more production from Gurley, who rushed for only 47 yards in 17 carries, and receiver Tavon Austin, who caught four passes for 13 yards.

And Keenum must rebound from his performance.

“Everybody’s always overexcited when you come in to the first game,” receiver Kenny Britt said. “You overthink stuff because you don’t want to miss stuff. … I know things will calm down for him.”

Watching and waiting

Goff was inactive for the opener, and Fisher has said that he would not decide whether to make him the backup until later in the week.

Goff was on the sideline in warmup gear against the 49ers.

“Definitely a different perspective,” he said. “But I tried to help Case as much as could and be the best teammate I could be.”

Goff said he would be ready when called upon.

“You can see the defense from a different angle and see the speed from the sideline,” he said, “but the best way to really know what’s going on out there is to be in it.”

Read Complete Article--[www.latimes.com]

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm officially here as a Ram fan
Please make this nightmare end

image.jpg

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Keenum we don't trust you either . If it wasn't for your buddy Fisher , you would be a back up to the franchise QB that they gave up the farm for .

Athos

Legend
Why would you want a QB who "saw ghosts" and "doesn't trust himself" to EVER start another game? Regardless of starting or bot he's been in the league 4 years.

Why the hell would the O trust him at all? Who wants a QB that's scared shitless calling plays?

Laughing stocks indeed to trot Keenum out there against the Hags.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Case Keenum is not an NFL caliber QB. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Why would you want a QB who "saw ghosts" and "doesn't trust himself" to EVER start another game? Regardless of starting or bot he's been in the league 4 years.

Why the hell would the O trust him at all? Who wants a QB that's scared shitless calling plays?
Or passing this shit down to the rookie who's learning from him?!?!? You can't make this shit up....The more I read, the more pissed I'm getting this week...All my boys out here, laughing at me:mrburnsevil:...Bengals fan, Raider fan....every week, they want me to come over, and tease me:argue:..."Thought yall was ready...thought yall had Gurley...thought yall was going to the playoffs.." who didn't see this shit show from Keenum coming?????? Who? WHO!?!?:banghead:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Here's what really bothers me about our overall QB situation.

If the Rams believe that Case gives us the best chance to win how bad are our other two QB's? And how bad are they at evaluating QB talent? They fought tooth and nail to bring Keenum here, drafted Mannion in the 3rd and traded the farm for a guy that isn't even dressing for games? I know it was game one and I'm ok with him not starting but shit at least have a viable option in place. Instead they spent all offseason sitting on their hands and training camp with absolutely no urgency in seeing who the best option is to start No.1. Neither Mannion nor Goff got a fair shake to see what they have.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Rams SNISHER believe that Case gives us the best chance to win how bad are our other two QB's? And how bad are they at evaluating QB talent? They fought tooth and nail to bring Keenum here, drafted Mannion in the 3rd and traded the farm for a guy that isn't even dressing for games?
eXACTLY.....fucking lie I say....didn't TRY to get the best 2 QB's on the roster ready to win this season is my only guess...And must have something to do with the team already being worth 3 billion....like, they want to give the damn Titans a HIGHER draft pick or something and don't give a fuck where this team finishes...keep costs down (no way some players on a 2-14 team ask for top salaries)....I don't know...conspiracy theories run deep out in LA....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Kroenke IS paying his HC and coaching staff very well.....WAY too much, imo.....So getting better talent coaching the team should reap more wins and greater attendance, and therefore greater profits for Kroenke....Similar reasoning with keeping good players...I just can't believe this is about pinching pennies by an owner about to spend close to 3 billion for a stadium...It's about being wrong with the Coaching staff and maybe wrong about players,,,This ain't a slam on Goff, btw....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Laughing stocks indeed to trot Keenum out there against the Hags.
Keenum was clearly shouldering the blame for the loss. Not uncommon for someone in a leadership role.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
who didn't see this crap show from Keenum coming?????? Who? WHO!?!?:banghead:

I didn't see it coming. I thought he would be able to manage the game. Something went wrong with the plan for Monday night. The coaches should be more embarrassed than the players.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Keenum was clearly shouldering the blame for the loss. Not uncommon for someone in a leadership role.

There is a part of me that is glad Keenum read the Boy Scout leadership packet and got his "Team Spirit badge," but the simple truth is that Keenum hasnt got what it takes to be a leader in the field - he's admitted as much when he says he was unprepared and seeing ghosts. No Ram QB in history has ever uttered those words. If Jimmh Everett can't live down the ghost sack how can Keenum live down this?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
There is a part of me that is glad Keenum read the Boy Scout leadership packet and got his "Team Spirit badge," but the simple truth is that Keenum hasnt got what it takes to be a leader in the field - he's admitted as much when he says he was unprepared and seeing ghosts. No Ram QB in history has ever uttered those words. If Jimmh Everett can't live down the ghost sack how can Keenum live down this?
What is he suppose to say. "The play calling was poor and coaching staff didn't have this team ready to play week 1?"
Mondays loss in entirely on the coaching staff. Our want for Goff to start his era as QB, shouldn't blind us of that.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What is he suppose to say. "The play calling was poor and coaching staff didn't have this team ready to play week 1?"
Mondays loss in entirely on the coaching staff. Our want for Goff to start his era as QB, shouldn't blind us of that.

Anything but that he saw ghosts....and that he didn't trust himself -- just don't recall any QB jumping in the grenade who was so self deprecating

As bad as the coaching staff Keenum is no martyr

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Anything but that he saw ghosts....and that he didn't trust himself -- just don't recall any QB jumping in the grenade who was so self deprecating

As bad as the coaching staff Keenum is no martyr
We kow that. We also know how these interviews go. Most dont point fingers.
Gurley averaged something like 2.7 yds a carry. Pretty poor showing. Nobody's putting any blame on him.

The defense sat on our wr routes. Not giving Keenum much of a chance.

We know Keenum is less than ideal. We also know he will soon be replaced. This loss isn't on him, as much as we would like to think it was. The problem was much deeper than that.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We kow that. We also know how these interviews go. Most dont point fingers.
Gurley averaged something like 2.7 yds a carry. Pretty poor showing. Nobody's putting any blame on him.

The defense sat on our wr routes. Not giving Keenum much of a chance.

We know Keenum is less than ideal. We also know he will soon be replaced. This loss isn't on him, as much as we would like to think it was. The problem was much deeper than that.

That's why I think I'm taking a break until Goff starts - too muchh rage
maybe I can't hang.
I thought I was Ram's Jobe but I guess I'm not

Go Rams
Fire Coach F

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That's why I think I'm taking a break until Goff starts - too muchh rage
maybe I can't hang.
I thought I was Ram's Jobe but I guess I'm not

Go Rams
Fire Coach F
We just need a win to get our bearings back as fans. Waiting 8 months to see what we saw last Monday, was a tough blow to all us die hards.