Keenum says he didn't trust himself in Week 1 blowout loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This loss isn't on him, as much as we would like to think it was. The problem was much deeper than that.
Sorry, all Keenum....And if he can't audible outta those plays, then I'd add the staff to this list...for an even deeper meaning....
I put a lot of this on the staff for believing Keenum could/can get it done....And trying to put that over the casual fan....

jap

Legend
We could not have started this season any worst---against two divisional opponents who know our team better than any other team not named the Cards and who knows Case's limitations to a T. What else could we expect from these defenses? Load up the box with 8-9 guys against the super blue chip sophomore RB and dare Case or any other signal caller to prove they can pass effectively.

Twice before I have likened this early 2016 scenario to the 1999 early season where opposing defenses loaded the box against the known threat, Marshall Faulk, and dared the then unknown Kurt Warner to beat them. The Express! needs a real pal he can play with under center.

I hope our OL and receivers take this personally and bust their collective asses completing their jobs so Todd gets his needed "18 inches of daylight" to wreak historical havoc upon the Seattle D.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Keenum was clearly shouldering the blame for the loss. Not uncommon for someone in a leadership role.

I appreciate Keenum here.

It beats the snot out of a QB pulling an RGm3 and calling out everyone else for their shortcomings, even if they're totally valid.

Dude stunk on ice and he's shouldering the blame. Even if he was only going be be a starter in the NFL for one game and this was it and he stunk on ice (I know he's had more), this is what an NFL starter is supposed to do and he's doing it.

At the very least, he's modeling the proper behavior for a franchise QB. It's invaluable tutelage. Goff is seeing what a blowout looks like in a major media market for an NFL starter and he's now seeing what it looks like to handle it PROPERLY.

I hope Goff becomes all we hope he becomes and Heaven Forbid we ever have a bad loss like this once Goff is our Franchise QB... like we have a bad playoff loss and part of it's because he just had a bad game... I'll hope that THIS game and Keenum's handling of himself will be able to be called upon so that Goff can be gracious in defeat. That doesn't mean one likes losing. Rather, it enjoins loyalty from those who've fought in the trenches with you because they know that you won't lose hope.

By Keenum not pulling an RGm3 or a Cam Newton, he's perhaps giving the kind of lesson to Goff that Franchise QBs need far more than tips on technique, but far too often these days are lacking.

If that was the price?... If we had to get blown out by the 9ers for that lesson? well...it feels like a steep price now, but it will feel well worth it in the end.

Nothing worthy comes cheap, my friends.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

It beats the snot out of a QB pulling an RGm3 and calling out everyone else for their shortcomings, even if they're totally valid.

Dude stunk on ice and he's shouldering the blame. Even if he was only going be be a starter in the NFL for one game and this was it and he stunk on ice (I know he's had more), this is what an NFL starter is supposed to do and he's doing it.

At the very least, he's modeling the proper behavior for a franchise QB. It's invaluable tutelage. Goff is seeing what a blowout looks like in a major media market for an NFL starter and he's now seeing what it looks like to handle it PROPERLY.

I hope Goff becomes all we hope he becomes and Heaven Forbid we ever have a bad loss like this once Goff is our Franchise QB... like we have a bad playoff loss and part of it's because he just had a bad game... I'll hope that THIS game and Keenum's handling of himself will be able to be called upon so that Goff can be gracious in defeat. That doesn't mean one likes losing. Rather, it enjoins loyalty from those who've fought in the trenches with you because they know that you won't lose hope.

By Keenum not pulling an RGm3 or a Cam Newton, he's perhaps giving the kind of lesson to Goff that Franchise QBs need far more than tips on technique, but far too often these days are lacking.

If that was the price?... If we had to get blown out by the 9ers for that lesson? well...it feels like a steep price now, but it will feel well worth it in the end.

Well said.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some of you should consider taking a break from posting...or bake a cake or help an old woman across the street or something.

Antonius

Pro Bowler

There's such thing as 'less is more'. Essentially what Keenum is saying here is "I don't have any confidence in myself". He could have shouldered blame without sounding like he had no idea what he was doing.

Oh, and nice dig at Cam Newton there. I wonder if you were serious. I mean, it's pretty clear Cam has more talent in his left leg than Keenum, that's why he has actually led his team to the playoffs while Keenum has been a career backup that sees ghosts.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And, yet, on the biggest stage, Cam showed that he has a lot to learn about being a Franchise QB. Of course he's far more talented than Keenum. I wasn't arguing that in the slightest. But when confronted with a bad loss, Cam acted like a petulant child and was unrepentant about being a "sore loser". By not embracing his leadership role, he makes it that much harder for his teammates to process the loss and to move forward constructively. It was emotionally irresponsible.

That's why I included Cam. Had nothing to do with his talent.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
And call me wacky but I would MUCH rather have the guy who acts immature sometimes but wins as opposed to the responsible loser.