Justin Fields: an idea and a question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The trade market for Justin Fields is rapidly drying meaning that, if he is traded, it will likely be to a team that won’t slot him in as an immediate starter.

Could/should the Rams be interested?

Let’s say the Rams were to get him for a 3rd round pick. He’d be a very good insurance policy (and could be used as in occasional RPO packages) for this year, at a price of around $3.25M.

The Rams would, of course, decline Fields’ 5th year option, which would pay him over $20M.

I don’t know if, having turned down the option, the Rams would be eligible to get a comp pick if (when) Fields leaves after a year. If they do, that mitigates against the price.

This could become moot any moment now but, in the meantime, anyone like this idea?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way in hell he warrants a 3rd round pick. As we are seeing the trade market for him just wasn't there. At best I'd trade them one of our 6th round comp picks. That isn't even talking about the fact he's overpaid for the one year you're trading for!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd be willing to trade our later 3rd for him, sure. He could certainly contribute every game with run packages. He also can throw the ball and I wouldn't feel like we are utterly hopeless if he has to start a game for Staff. In McVay's offense, he could even be good, who knows.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Any trade they might entertain for a futures type QB would have to be cheap. Round 3 is a bit too steep without some team control. Just like the Jets kid, yeah it would be nice to see either on our depth chart given their talent, but it's gotta be cheap for where the Rams are in their rebuild. They're trying to get this roster from playoff contender to SB contender which is a big jump. That's the type of move you make when your roster is much closer to where you want it. Or when it's shit maybe.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d rather try out Zach Wilson.
I'd go Fields all day over Wilson. At minimum, Fields is at least a top 3 rushing QB in the league and is deadly in that regard. Wilson wasn't good at anything last season. Fields is the superior player and I don't think its very close.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well a few things can happen.

1) if you can get him for a 5th in a trade, you might be able to bring him here, maybe he plays in a game or two, and plays very well. Plays great in preseason etc... Thus he gets the Bear stink off of him and he gets a nice contract next yr (assuming Stafford is good to return). Then the Rams get a nice comp pick in return.

2) Or something goes terribly wrong with Stafford's health and you have chance to evaluate Fields as the future starter.

3) He never really plays, he leaves here and still gets a contract, but now maybe you only get a 5th or 6th rd comp pick because QBs still get paid. Marriotta just got 6M a yr. So you still get a wash then in the trade.

So of the 3 most likely situations, 2 are positive relative to him, and one is really a wash in terms of giving up a pick and what you get back.

Now I didn't check his salary,but probably isn't worse than what these back ups are getting like Darnald & Marriotta in terms of a 1 yr cap hit.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well a few things can happen.

1) if you can get him for a 5th in a trade, you might be able to bring him here, maybe he plays in a game or two, and plays very well. Plays great in preseason etc... Thus he gets the Bear stink off of him and he gets a nice contract next yr (assuming Stafford is good to return). Then the Rams get a nice comp pick in return.

2) Or something goes terribly wrong with Stafford's health and you have chance to evaluate Fields as the future starter.

3) He never really plays, he leaves here and still gets a contract, but now maybe you only get a 5th or 6th rd comp pick because QBs still get paid. Marriotta just got 6M a yr. So you still get a wash then in the trade.

So of the 3 most likely situations, 2 are positive relative to him, and one is really a wash in terms of giving up a pick and what you get back.

Now I didn't check his salary,but probably isn't worse than what these back ups are getting like Darnald & Marriotta in terms of a 1 yr cap hit.
He has a 6m cap hit this season. Not bad. His 5th year is 25.6m though, yikes

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He has a 6m cap hit this season. Not bad. His 5th year is 25.6m though, yikes
They don't have to pick that up, thus making him a FA. So yeah, if something happens to Stafford, injury or even him winning a SB and him retiring, if you really like Fields, then you have some cap juggling with Stafford's dead cap and a new deal for Fields. And you have to be really sold on Fields.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Have a feeling that the Bears are just going to hold on to him for insurance unless they can get a pick from a team that is in the first three rounds. That will at least give them backup QB insurance.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I'd absolutely take him. Back up for a year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) if you can get him for a 5th in a trade, you might be able to bring him here, maybe he plays in a game or two, and plays very well. Plays great in preseason etc... Thus he gets the Bear stink off of him and he gets a nice contract next yr (assuming Stafford is good to return). Then the Rams get a nice comp pick in return
At this point it's unlikely they would get a comp pick with all of the money they have spent

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You just wanna be in on that MILF game.
iu