Justin Blackmon suspended indefinitely

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/2639/looking-back-at-the-rams-and-blackmon

By: Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Sometimes the best draft pick a team can make are the ones it doesn't. Friday's news that Jacksonville receiver Justin Blackmon has been suspended indefinitely for violation of the league's substance abuse policy would serve as a prime example of that old adage.

In the lead up to the 2012 NFL draft, it was no secret the Rams were searching for play makers, particularly a wide receiver who could give Sam Bradford the type of No. 1 target he hadn't had since he was drafted in 2010.

The Rams had already moved down in the draft from No. 2 to No. 6 after the big trade with the Washington Redskins, but still appeared poised to land a playmaker with that sixth pick. One way or another, the Rams were going to come out of the early rounds of the draft with a top receiver.

In the week leading up to the draft, the Rams even went so far as to go on a sort of wide receiver barnstorming tour, taking backup quarterbacks Kellen Clemens and Tom Brandstater to visit top prospects such as Notre Dame'sMichael Floyd, Baylor's Kendall Wright, Illinois' A.J. Jenkins, Appalachian State'sBrian Quick and, of course, Blackmon.

Blackmon had held steady as the top receiver prospect in the months leading up to the draft with the only real red flags stemming from off the field issues. But Blackmon had done enough in pre-draft workouts and interviews to solidify his spot as the top receiver and, really, the only one worth taking with the sixth pick in the draft.

When the draft finally began, the Rams sat calmly as Indianapolis plucked quarterback Andrew Luck, Washington grabbed quarterback Robert Griffin III, Cleveland snatched running backTrent Richardson and Minnesota grabbed offensive tackle Matt Kalil.

With Tampa Bay on the clock, it seemed almost certain that the Rams would have their pick from the receiver group, Blackmon included. Then, the news flashed that Jacksonville and Tampa Bay had struck a deal. Operating with the knowledge that the Rams would likely have strong interest in Blackmon, the Jaguars moved up to secure his services, surrendering a fourth-round pick to do so.

Then Yahoo! NFL reporter Mike Silver was in the Rams' draft room and reported that Rams coach Jeff Fisher "slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive."

With Blackmon and Richardson, the other player the Rams coveted in the top six, off the board, the Rams moved out of the draft slot, cutting a deal with Dallas to move down to No. 14 and pick up an extra second-round pick. The Rams turned that deal into LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers, running back Isaiah Pead and offensive lineman Rokevious Watkins(acquired in another trade down with Dallas' second rounder).

There's no definitive proof that the Rams would have selected Blackmon had he fallen to them. They did covet Brockers but there is no doubt that if they were going to take a receiver at six, he was the only one they deemed worthy of that spot.

A season and a half later, there's ample evidence that Jacksonville leap frogging the Rams and taking away the option was a huge break for St. Louis. Brockers is an emerging force in the middle of the defensive line and considered one of the foundations of the team's defense. At receiver, the Rams ended up taking Quick with the first pick of the second round and Chris Givens in the fourth. Givens has been a solid contributor and though Quick is still developing, he's flashed potential to be a solid NFL receiver.

Pead and Watkins haven't worked out nearly as well but just having Brockers is clearly preferable to having a player who is suspended and dealing with issues beyond the football field.

Blackmon's suspension comes on the heels of a four-game suspension he served at the beginning of the season for a similar violation. He actually returned to face the Rams and posted five catches for 136 yards on Oct. 6.

On that day, it would have been understandable for the Rams and their fans to dream about what could have been had Blackmon dropped to them in the 2012 draft. On Friday, those dreams would have become a nightmare.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's Mike Mularkey.
Who was fired after one year, so the question looms??? After Gus Bradley goes 0-16 will he get fired after one year too? Can you keep a Head Coach after losing every game? Bucs kept John McKay, however, they were a true blue expansion team with no free agency or extra draft choices.

V3

Hall of Fame
I really didn't think he would implode like this. When it keeps happening like this, there's something REALLY wrong going on upstairs. Sad.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Whew, I really wanted him in HORNS. I guess that goes to show you have to watch what you wish for eh?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It has to be something bigger than weed, too many players smoke that. Blackmon is a partyier, so my guess is something you can sniff...

…..

Legend
Justin, meet Titus.
Titus, this is Justin.
You two have alot in common, and plenty of time to talk about it.

Why dont we begin with the term "self distruction"

who wants to go first?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It has to be something bigger than weed, too many players smoke that. Blackmon is a partyier, so my guess is something you can sniff...

I always have a hard time reading your posts with those tatas registering on the Richter Scale. :nau:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Whew, I really wanted him in HORNS. I guess that goes to show you have to watch what you wish for eh?

I never ever wanted this guy, he was worth a flier in the second round and no higher, good not great but where I really decided I didn't want him was by his eyes ,they are the window to the soul and his have always looked like the ones I've seen from substance abuser after another.
I really do feel bad for the guy, he's a victim of his own self destructive tendencies, but in an environment where even at the college level you don't keep your job by graduating athletes, in a league where you get three years to win or you're gone,you can't afford projects at the top of round 1 unless they are in the "best ever " conversation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
yes the Rams are somewhat attached to this 2012 top five first round selection. I recall a massive heavy campaign by most Ram fans to draft Justin Blackmon with our #6 first round pick. Jags knew it and jumped traded with Tampa bay to get this WR away from us. Rams then traded its 6th pick for three Dallas picks (1st Brockers, 2nd Pead & 5th Watkins).

I much prefer DT Brockers to the WR Blackmon even before this latest news but I still read some Ram fans as late during the Jags game earlier this yr ....with lamentations over not getting Blackmon.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was a Blackmon supporter at the time. I wanted him bad. People said he wasn't fast enough, won't get separation, blah blah blah. I'm not pumping my chest for the sake of it... but I knew he would be a good player.

As it turns out; he is a good player. But I'm glad we didn't get him. Dude's obviously not very smart or just doesn't give a shit.