Just went 34 hours without power during a snow storm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Sorry to hear this @Angry Ram .

I live in Colorado. We get cold sometimes, close to zero every year. We were at -19 the other day without the wind chill. Beat the all time recorded record by 3 degrees.

On a plus side. When it hit 28 yesterday I was in Sweats walking my dog. It’s amazing how we accumulate.

Hopefully your family makes it through this insane weather.
I have never accumulated to the cold weather here in WV after living in Cal for 40 years.. Been here for almost 20 years now

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update...lost power again. Have some cell coverage.

Tack on 15+ more hours and counting.

Psycho_X

Legend
Texas has really dropped the ball on this.

Yeah it's been nasty. Took the dog out to go potty the other night and he went back in the house. :ROFLMAO:

Ugh, we've got two Shih Tzus that aren't even a foot tall so when it snows like this I have to dig paths through the backyard and spots for them to go. I'm ready for it to quit snowing after the last week.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure it will be said soon that this is the "new normal". Don't worry. They will also say, "we're in this together". :shock:

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
This morning. It's like it's never ending.

20210217_080109.jpg
20210217_080157.jpg

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
People who usually never get this kind of cold weather really do suffer with these events. And as we have heard people die.

A year ago summer here in Norcal our power was shut off for the winds as to prevent fires. This appeared to be the thing we need to prepare for from here on for the foreseeable future.

I bring this up as I believe our national grid has many weak areas. We rely on power as much as we need food IMO. I put some real effort preparing for these power outages and now believe no matter where I live I need backup power.

I installed my own system design and when we lose power we have all the essentials covered to stay in our house.

For those of our friends in Texas and surrounding areas affected, stay safe. It is slowly getting warmer.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Update...lost power again. Have some cell coverage.

Tack on 15+ more hours and counting.
I have to say, losing power in FL after a hurricane is nothing like losing power in the winter. That cold can go right through you. If I ever moved back north I would make sure my house had either a fireplace or woodburning stove. I had a friend who when they lost power in the winter they turned on the gas oven and opened the door. Provided enough heat by you have to make sure it doesn't go out.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have to say, losing power in FL after a hurricane is nothing like losing power in the winter. That cold can go right through you. If I ever moved back north I would make sure my house had either a fireplace or woodburning stove. I had a friend who when they lost power in the winter they turned on the gas oven and opened the door. Provided enough heat by you have to make sure it doesn't go out.
In my opinion, I'd rather lose power in the cold than in the heat. Of course, this is assuming you have some gas or logs in the house, and warm clothes. It's hard to escape the heat. You can't take but so many clothes off. But for the homeless, it's a completely different reality.

Angry Ram

Update: if I don't get power back in the next 20 mins, it will be 58 total hours of no power.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Update: if I don't get power back in the next 20 mins, it will be 58 total hours of no power.
If your oven is gas, will it fire up without electricity? If not, I'd be running those burners.

Angry Ram

That’s crazy. Were you able to get some heat?

For about 8 hours yesterday but Temps have dipped today. Back to 50 degrees inside. I have 2 pairs of pants, socks, long sleeve shirt, hoody under 5 layers of blankets to be warm.

If your oven is gas, will it fire up without electricity? If not, I'd be running those burners.

It does, but its recommended to not do that because of CO. I'm just glad I can eat hot meals and have running water. Buckets filled just in case. We're also under boil water notice.

Angry Ram

Ok power came back up about 40 mins ago. Grand total: 60 hours. Gonna conserve energy for a while so others can get theirs back.

Hope this is it. Now imma go wash the stank off me lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant take any more of this f$%ing snow
We are getting dumped on again this morning
Havent seen grass in 2 weeks and its going to be much longer now.
This mother f$%^ing year of covid will not ever end

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Power here in central Texas went out at my house Monday at 4:30 am. I went and started at my dad's house (thank God he lives close so he can see the grandkids). Dad's house lost power yesterday at 1 am. Power restored yesterday at 9 pm at both houses.

The bad part is that now my alarm system says my back door is open at my house... I'm not sure what that's about, but there's not much to steal unless they want huge piles of children's toys or an Xbox 360.