Just went 34 hours without power during a snow storm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Holy crap. Temps dipped as low as 12° , that I know of. Snow, ice.

I lost power about midnight Sunday/Monday morning and just got it back Tuesday about an hour ago. Needless to say I'm never taking power for granted again.

Also, I smell really bad after not bathing for 2 days.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
We have power. But have been -15+ for days with wind chill. And we have about 9" of snow on the ground. They are doing rolling power outtages around the nation I read. Not sure if that is what effected you.

Today starts our warm up but we are in for up to six more inches Wed and thur. But Temps in the teens and twenties.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Also, I bet them balls are extra salty...get that taken care of lol

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I lost power about midnight Sunday/Monday morning and just got it back Tuesday about an hour ago. Needless to say I'm never taking power for granted again.

Damn Brudda... the cold would have killed me. Seriously, I am not made for temperatures under 60°. I don't know how you guys do it.

34 hours does open your eyes to not taking power for granted. I completely understand. The hurricanes we deal with down here leave us without power sometimes for a week or two. I have 2 giant generators now. I won't allow myself to go without power ever again. It takes going through that to gladly spend the money to prevent it. I even have a portable AC unit that can cool a very large room that just sits inside your house. It's still in the box... but I have that thing ready if I ever need it.

Q729

Legend
snowflake_2744-fe0f.png
(didn't want to give you a "chill")
Glad you got your power back. Hopefully you keep it in time for more WandaVision! :Beer1:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

How did u keep your heat up?

We lost it for 2 days about 2yrs ago... Was sucky, but for us it hit summertime and temps were not a problem.

fearsomefour

Legend
Got stuck for a couple days with no power years ago after a big snow storm in the Sierra. Wasn’t that cold but it was cold enough.
That convinced to drop the coin on a generator.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have power. But have been -15+ for days with wind chill. And we have about 9" of snow on the ground. They are doing rolling power outtages around the nation I read. Not sure if that is what effected you.

Today starts our warm up but we are in for up to six more inches Wed and thur. But Temps in the teens and twenties.

Texas is a different animal because the State controls the grid. Looks like there's gonna be a lot of lawsuits in the coming weeks for how they handled this.

Damn Brudda... the cold would have killed me. Seriously, I am not made for temperatures under 60°. I don't know how you guys do it.

34 hours does open your eyes to not taking power for granted. I completely understand. The hurricanes we deal with down here leave us without power sometimes for a week or two. I have 2 giant generators now. I won't allow myself to go without power ever again. It takes going through that to gladly spend the money to prevent it. I even have a portable AC unit that can cool a very large room that just sits inside your house. It's still in the box... but I have that thing ready if I ever need it.

Simple. I had 5 layers of blankets on top of a hoody and fleece pants. The worst was having to pee in the middle of the night.

snowflake_2744-fe0f.png
(didn't want to give you a "chill")
Glad you got your power back. Hopefully you keep it in time for more WandaVision! :Beer1:

Hope so. That's Friday, and latest update I heard is the plants should be fully operational by midnight tonight. Another storm coming tonight, hopefully doesn't throw a wrench into that.

How did u keep your heat up?

We lost it for 2 days about 2yrs ago... Was sucky, but for us it hit summertime and temps were not a problem.

Had no heat bro. Thank god I have a gas range and running water to heat up food and hot drinks. When power came back on, inside house temp was about 50.

5 layers of blankets and lots of moving. On the bright side, my house is as dust free as it has been in years lol.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
-13 degrees this morning, it was so cold I could see ice fog, the sparkly crystals floating in the air... literally the humidity freezes at that temperature.

But thankfully we have power (for now), and our home we bought in 2016 has a direct-vent fireplace. I made sure we had some kind of fireplace, after the ice storms of 2007 killed our power in Springfield MO for 10 days. It was the worst winter storm i remember, i forget how much freezing rain we had but it was well over an inch & fell for about 36 hours. The night it hit was one of the scariest nights i've ever lived through, all night long, exploding transformers and huge tree branches crashing on homes all around us. Some fell on our roof but didn't damage it, but the neighbor lady had a big branch go through hers. We had no power or heat, and the temperatures dropped into the single digits after the rain stopped, so after 2 days we bugged out. We drove for 100 miles before we found a hotel that had a vacancy, so widespread was the damage, all the way from Tulsa OK up to Rolla MO.

edit: I tried to prepare: all the generators were already gone in the area, so I ran up to O'Reilly's & bought an invertor, thinking I could just connect it to our car & run a power cord into our house. But the box it came in was taped up... it was the only one left on the shelf. Apparently it was bad & someone returned it to O'Reilly's, and they just taped it up & put it back on the shelf. I am still angry about it, it was our only hope, and with a special needs child, we really really needed power. I've never been back to O'Reilly's since.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Crazy thing about this cold. I have a pretty big beard and when I got out of the shower I had to go out to our shop to the freezer to get some food. My bead was frozen stiff in spots. Lol crazy shit.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
It’s times like this that I’m glad I don’t live in the midwest anymore. Its been in the negatives back home...no thank you

Glad you have power again @Angry Ram

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

You must be Angry

lol

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

Had to stay with the in-laws for a day back in 2012...snowed about 8 inches after an ice storm.

Pine limbs were snapping and falling on power lines. We slept in the house for the one night, until it dropped below 40.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry to hear this @Angry Ram .

I live in Colorado. We get cold sometimes, close to zero every year. We were at -19 the other day without the wind chill. Beat the all time recorded record by 3 degrees.

On a plus side. When it hit 28 yesterday I was in Sweats walking my dog. It’s amazing how we accumulate.

Hopefully your family makes it through this insane weather.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Been there. It SUCKED, I know. We got snowed in and lost power for 3 days last year in our new home. It never got below 50 degrees in the house, but that’s damn cold enough for 3 days straight. And the only generator I could get was a small one that could only provide 110vac. So I had to run a 100 foot extension cord to power a portable heater in one room.

Tellin ya. Now I know why Jack lost his shit in The Shining.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
-8 the other night with wind chill 20 below. Coldest for this area in 130 years. Talk of rolling blackouts none so far.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Get yourself a generator dude!

When I was stationed in Maine for a few years we bought a house with a wet basement/sump. Didn't realize what that meant lol. So when we lost power that first spring (we were getting a real nice rainfall at the time) I had to bail while the wife went and bought a generator. Good thing was that next winter it saved my ass bigtime. Don't think I would have had one if not for that wet basement.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
-8 the other night with wind chill 20 below. Coldest for this area in 130 years. Talk of rolling blackouts none so far.
Yeah it's been nasty. Took the dog out to go potty the other night and he went back in the house. :ROFLMAO: