Just a Thought on the Pass Catchers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We have numbers and some nice quality to go with. Analysts say we have a questionable unit, I say we have so many that at least a couple should rise. We only need a couple to shine, really. Cook and Kendricks are solid options at TE, as well.

By the numbers, I think we'll be fine. Of course I'm factoring in stout OL play and Bradford to pick up where he left out.

Givens, Tavon, Bailey, Britt, Quick, and Cook are all firmly breakout candidates.

What if they all break with Zac Attack and the OL leading the charge? It's not unrealistic. Defenses will be cheating up to stop the run or they flat out won't stop it. Pick your poison.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have numbers and some nice quality to go with. Analysts say we have a questionable unit, I say we have so many that at least a couple should rise. We only need a couple to shine, really. Cook and Kendricks are solid options at TE, as well.

By the numbers, I think we'll be fine. Of course I'm factoring in stout OL play and Bradford to pick up where he left out.

Givens, Tavon, Bailey, Britt, Quick, and Cook are all firmly breakout candidates.

What if they all break with Zac Attack and the OL leading the charge? It's not unrealistic. Defenses will be cheating up to stop the run or they flat out won't stop it. Pick your poison.

Tavon
Cook
Britt
Quick

In order... Seem like the lead candidates to break out, IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We often seem.to leave out Cook and Kendricks in the wr talk.
They aren't wr's but they should be considered in the discussion s as a group.

With those two in the mix and a solid ground game, our young squad should be set up for success.

We are desperate for either Quick or Britt to step it up imo. We simply aren't a playoff team with what we had at WR last year. When you are settling for FGs rather than TDs because your WRs can't make the simplest of catches you're in trouble.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I needed 8 yards for a first....
Pettis, Bailey, Kendricks, Cook.

Breakout, Austin, Quick, Britt.
I don't think Cook will be a Davis kind of player ever. Ok. If he can match last years production and someone else (Britt or Quick) step up and Austin follows a normal sort of progression we will be fine.
Or we may end up with a passing game with numbers distributed between 5 or 6 guys with no eye boggling numbers.
Either way works for me if the production is there.

If I needed 8 yards for a first....
Pettis, Bailey, Kendricks, Cook.

Breakout, Austin, Quick, Britt.
I don't think Cook will be a Davis kind of player ever. Ok. If he can match last years production and someone else (Britt or Quick) step up and Austin follows a normal sort of progression we will be fine.
Or we may end up with a passing game with numbers distributed between 5 or 6 guys with no eye boggling numbers.
Either way works for me if the production is there.

You trust Cook to catch the ball when needed? I agree with the other 3 but it's a worrying situation when Cook is one of your more trusted receivers.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We really need just one guy to step up, claim the #1billing, and draw attention. We have several 2s and 3s but no one guy that draws the best coverage and rolls the safety his way. IMO thats all we need. Austin is the x factor player, it won't be him. To my mind, only Bailey or Britt are the only ones who are close at all. Givins reminds me of Kennison, in that you love his talent but wonder why the numbers don't reflect that he has any.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
We really need just one guy to step up, claim the #1billing, and draw attention. We have several 2s and 3s but no one guy that draws the best coverage and rolls the safety his way. IMO thats all we need. Austin is the x factor player, it won't be him. To my mind, only Bailey or Britt are the only ones who are close at all. Givins reminds me of Kennison, in that you love his talent but wonder why the numbers don't reflect that he has any.

Tavon absolutely has the physical ability to draw the attention from opposing defenses. The kid has tremendous stopping and starting ability and open field moves. He may not have gotten as many snaps as a rookie as, particularly earlier on, he was limited to duty in the slot. I think he's capable of maturing in his second year and becoming a Z receiver in two receiver sets and being on the field for almost every offensive snap, and I'd suspect that'll be something they'll work to see if he's ready for in TC.

Over on the X side, I think it'll come down to who has the concentration to effectively work the short yardage game between Britt and Quick. Both have immense physical ability, but at varying times and to varying degrees, they've struggled with the mental side of the game.

At the end of the day though, I think the receiving side of the game comes down to Austin. If he can be the guy, and he's ready, that could effectively change the face of this offense from a pass efficiency stand point.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Tavon absolutely has the physical ability to draw the attention from opposing defenses. The kid has tremendous stopping and starting ability and open field moves. He may not have gotten as many snaps as a rookie as, particularly earlier on, he was limited to duty in the slot. I think he's capable of maturing in his second year and becoming a Z receiver in two receiver sets and being on the field for almost every offensive snap, and I'd suspect that'll be something they'll work to see if he's ready for in TC.

Over on the X side, I think it'll come down to who has the concentration to effectively work the short yardage game between Britt and Quick. Both have immense physical ability, but at varying times and to varying degrees, they've struggled with the mental side of the game.

At the end of the day though, I think the receiving side of the game comes down to Austin. If he can be the guy, and he's ready, that could effectively change the face of this offense from a pass efficiency stand point.

Truthfully, I don't think it will be Austin. Not because of talent, but because they won't want to use him in the way I'm talking about. They need a guy on the outside that will allow Austin to exploit underneath coverage. Right now, teams can almost cheat their safeties to the middle of the field because they know we can't beat them over the top on the outside. Givins could the year before last, but didnt last year. Whether that was gameplanning or what, I dont know. Show them we can do that, and you'll see Austin really do some damage.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The camp batles at the WR spot and the DB's is going to be very very interesting. If you are in one of those two units, you better bring your A game all thru camp and preseason.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Tavon
Cook
Britt
Quick

In order... Seem like the lead candidates to break out, IMO.

Why no mention of Bailey, CGI?

Heck, he might just be our best WR of all. It's gonna be hard to keep him off the field after his suspension is served.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Truthfully, I don't think it will be Austin. Not because of talent, but because they won't want to use him in the way I'm talking about. They need a guy on the outside that will allow Austin to exploit underneath coverage. Right now, teams can almost cheat their safeties to the middle of the field because they know we can't beat them over the top on the outside. Givins could the year before last, but didnt last year. Whether that was gameplanning or what, I dont know. Show them we can do that, and you'll see Austin really do some damage.

JMO, but I think we're going to see a much more diverse skill set than we might have even previously thought possible with Tavon this year.

Right now, we're viewing him through the spectrum of the role we saw last year (mostly slot receiver, space player, YAC guy). I think if we get to see him as a full time Z receiver, not only will we see him improve on the types of things he has done, but also add more tools to the toolbox (he might be the one RUNNING those fly patterns to rip the top off). It wouldn't be unheard of.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
These WRs have potential, and 3 of them (Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis) once the season begins will now have been on the team long enough to have no reason why they can't live up to their potential.

The team has added 4 WRs and signed a high priced TE the last 2 years. It's damn time they produce.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
JMO, but I think we're going to see a much more diverse skill set than we might have even previously thought possible with Tavon this year.

Right now, we're viewing him through the spectrum of the role we saw last year (mostly slot receiver, space player, YAC guy). I think if we get to see him as a full time Z receiver, not only will we see him improve on the types of things he has done, but also add more tools to the toolbox (he might be the one RUNNING those fly patterns to rip the top off). It wouldn't be unheard of.
Perhaps, but I think a good corner could limit him as a full time Z. I don't think he'll be able to beat press coverage, or you could give him a Walton cushion knowing that a jump ball from the QB to a small receiver is highly unlikely. To me, having him do that would be like dropping Quinn off in pass coverage. He could do it, but seems a waste. IMO, of course.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Perhaps, but I think a good corner could limit him as a full time Z. I don't think he'll be able to beat press coverage, or you could give him a Walton cushion knowing that a jump ball from the QB to a small receiver is highly unlikely. To me, having him do that would be like dropping Quinn off in pass coverage. He could do it, but seems a waste. IMO, of course.

Sure, he'd have to win in how he changes speeds while he runs his routes as opposed to at the point of reception. Be a little more like DeSean Jackson (on the field, of course) if you can picture it.

In order to get the most value for him, I don't think he can be a Sproles clone. He needs to be more in that Jackson/Cobb type role, where he may have a strength in catching bubble screens, but he could still take you yard on a longer route. I think he can do it. I think they may be prepping him to see if they can.

Sure, he'd have to win in how he changes speeds while he runs his routes as opposed to at the point of reception. Be a little more like DeSean Jackson (on the field, of course) if you can picture it.

In order to get the most value for him, I don't think he can be a Sproles clone. He needs to be more in that Jackson/Cobb type role, where he may have a strength in catching bubble screens, but he could still take you yard on a longer route. I think he can do it. I think they may be prepping him to see if they can.

I've said it before but i think on the right team Austin could be every bit as good as Jackson. I'm just not sure we're the right team.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I've said it before but i think on the right team Austin could be every bit as good as Jackson. I'm just not sure we're the right team.

Maybe, maybe not.

But I don't think they drafted him number 8 overall to run screens and situationally take handoffs out of the backfield exclusively.

I think there's a bigger plan in place for Tavon. We'll see if I'm right, and more importantly, if so that the plan can be executed.