Just a Thought on Losing Schotty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The big reason for keeping him was for contcontinuity of the offense, less miyakes. But shoot, there were so many miscues by the offense last year. We probably won't see much of a difference. Its not a loss at all from that prospective.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The big reason for keeping him was for contcontinuity of the offense, less miyakes. But shoot, there were so many miscues by the offense last year. We probably won't see much of a difference. Its not a loss at all from that prospective.

What mistakes are you talking about discipline like pre-snap mistakes versus running the wrong route are two different things and come from different areas. Learning a new offense will come with new screw ups in execution. Add that on top of poor discipline and there could be more. Of course if they bring n someone with similar scheme and language maybe the transition won't be as bad as it could be with the youngest team in the league.

A55VA6

Legend
Losing Schotty makes me think about Bradford. Knew the offense so well and if a lot changes, he could be set back even further.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Schotty was a mediocre coach, we could do better but we could also do worse. Although I'm concerned with continuity, we're better off without him if we want to develop our WRs better. His system doesn't do any justice for them and his inability to move Austin into open space is mind boggling.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What mistakes are you talking about discipline like pre-snap mistakes versus running the wrong route are two different things and come from different areas. Learning a new offense will come with new screw ups in execution. Add that on top of poor discipline and there could be more. Of course if they bring n someone with similar scheme and language maybe the transition won't be as bad as it could be with the youngest team in the league.

Mostly QB to WR's in routes is what I had in mind. In the ARZ game I felt Hill did a poor job reading the field and being on the same page with Britt. Sure the OL struggled but where were the hot reads or plays designed to make them pay for loading the box? I didn't see much of it.

There might be new mistakes but I'll be surprised to see more mistakes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Schottenheimer wasn't wowing anyone since he was here. Williams should have opened eyes to what a good coordinator can do. It was definitely time to try a different OC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Losing Schotty makes me think about Bradford. Knew the offense so well and if a lot changes, he could be set back even further.

Well it's kinda exhausting that we're still focused on Schotty when he's gone, but one of the things I really hated was that insistence on not changing coordinators because of poor Sam having a different OC. Sam is reportedly very smart, and the fact that we had receivers running the wrong routes in their 2nd and 3rd seasons is plenty of example why the OC change was overdue. A top OC would have these guys trained up and knowing wtf they are doing in one offseason, IMO.

Anyway. Somewhere there is a parallel universe where Fish pushed Schotty out, hired Norv Turner, and we had a real offense and playoff berth and maybe the Rams are still in it for this weekend. It irritates me that I'm in the one where we rode his sorry, unimaginative, predictable <insert alternate word for rear end here> for another season.

MrMotes

Starter
We had bad offense for 3 straight years with BS. I'm looking for a little less continuity myself...

jjab360

Legend
Might not be the popular opinion, but I think there's a very good chance that losing Schotty will hurt us more than help us in the end. Maybe not to the degree of Shurmur to McDaniels, but the end result of the transition to another OC might not be pretty.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Why anyone would want to continue with a mediocre OC is beyond me.
Merlin, I'm with you. I've wanted Shottenheimer gone since 2012. I could see then he was not ever going to get the offense going.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Can't really say I agree with anything in this thread.

I could go on and on about the lack of continuity on the O Line, the loss of your franchise QB but aw heck, why would those two factors come into play on how one prepares a game plan and calls a game?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Might not be the popular opinion, but I think there's a very good chance that losing Schotty will hurt us more than help us in the end. Maybe not to the degree of Shurmur to McDaniels, but the end result of the transition to another OC might not be pretty.
That all depends upon his replacement and whether or not he plays to the strengths of his talent base.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've grown tired of the transition rhetoric offered up so often. It's as if no other team has changed their offensive coordinator and had some immediate success. And, of course, I'm not talking about Mike Martz first year success either.

Anyway, I'd be more concerned if we were talking about an offense filled with a bunch of rookies or 1st / 2nd year players as in years past. Those guys had to learn a new offense, how to be a pro, and the NFL game (coverages, routes, techniques, etc.) That shouldn't be the case in 2015. And it shouldn't be as much of an issue if Fisher actually gets the run-first, play-action offense he said he wanted to bring to St. Louis, IMO.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I know we've regurgitated this so many times...what potential OC could truly bring a run first, PA scheme?

Name 3 that come to mind. Shit we still don't have anything set in stone at QB too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've grown tired of the transition rhetoric offered up so often. It's as if no other team has changed their offensive coordinator and had some immediate success
Exactly. Why is this so hard to imagine? Because Fish supposedly doesn't like to open it up on offense? Guess we'll see but a guy who will run fake punts from deep in his own territory is really THAT much against opening things up? A guy who moved up to get TA doesn't want to open things up or have a fast paced offense? We threw on a crap load of obvious running downs last year. Wouldn't a HC dead set on ground and pound put a stop to that? If an OC comes in and shows an effective offense, I have little doubt Fish will let him go for it.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Any word on new OC's? All the talk lately is about the LA jazz. I see other teams filling their vacancies and interviewing coaches, but no updates for the Rams, unless I'm missing something.