Just a Thought on Losing Schotty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Once upon a time there was an undrafted no name QB in his first year with new WR's and running backs None of which had played together before, there were even two new offensive lineman and a brand new Offensive Coordinator with a really really big playbook, bigger than any other playbook before. Everybody watching thought this offense would be the worst one of all time. Some thought maybe after a few years of continuity with the really really big playbook that this offense would eventually be OK. But out of nowhere this offense exploded onto the scene causing a media frenzy and reporters flocking to STL to figure out why this offense was rewriting the record books. This offense finished the season as the best and most exciting offense ever and was called the greatest show of Turf, leading the Rams to their first and only Super Bowl ever......in the first year with new really big playbook. The End.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Might not be the popular opinion, but I think there's a very good chance that losing Schotty will hurt us more than help us in the end. Maybe not to the degree of Shurmur to McDaniels, but the end result of the transition to another OC might not be pretty.

It might not but it also could be better. Some OCs seem to have a degree of instant success wherever they go. Maybe because they are better teachers, or their system is not as complex. When I compare Schottenheimers resume to some others, I cannot help to think that a better choice is out there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can't really say I agree with anything in this thread.

I could go on and on about the lack of continuity on the O Line, the loss of your franchise QB but aw heck, why would those two factors come into play on how one prepares a game plan and calls a game?

And yet there have been OCs that can do a better job of making due with what they have. I understand that Schottenheimers hands were tied but there were too many times when he would depart from what was working well and conversely run plays that rarely worked, too many times.