Just a rumor from LaCanfora

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I didn't watch NFLN yet, but here is a tidbit from PFT:

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network said on Monday that his sources indicate the Rams will “blow things up” after the season. That would mean Spags and Josh McDaniels would be shown the door.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/19/storm-clouds-gather-for-spagnuolo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... spagnuolo/</a>

:sick:

superfan24

Starter
Re: Just a rumor for LaCanfora

Well doesn't Stan make that decision? And he hasn't talked to anyone nor will make a decision till after the season.....so not buying much.
Completely hope this is wrong

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Just a rumor for LaCanfora

superfan24 said:
Well doesn't Stan make that decision? And he hasn't talked to anyone nor will make a decision till after the season.....so not buying much.
Completely hope this is wrong

I hope he is wrong too.

I'm tired of seeing shit be blown up every 3 years. Give Spags and Billy D. one last shot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[textarea]ESPN INSIDER

With St. Louis Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo on the hot seat, some have noted that the team will only go through with firing him if they believe there's someone better out there. Though it may be tempting to try and lure one of the A-listers to a team that already has a franchise quarterback in place, there's no certainty that the results would be any better.

In any case, Sunday afternoon put another tally in the team's loss column, and that pegs the team's overall record during the Spagnuolo regime at 10-36. During an appearance on the NFL Network's "Around the League Live" on Monday, Jason La Canfora reported that the Rams have plans to "blow things up" at the end of the season. [Editor's note: And not the way that Michael Bay blows things up, either].

In addition to jettisoning Spagnuolo, the team is expected to cut ties with offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. In the first season of McDaniels' time with Sam Bradford, the offense certainly took a step back, though the lack of a proper offseason was certainly partially to blame for that.[/textarea]
[textarea]ESPN INSIDER

"The key to the long-term success of some potentially gifted first-time NFL head coaches is having the ability to survive their early mistakes," Burwell writes. "Whether it's mistakes with handling players, mistakes with handling personnel, mistakes with assembling a staff, mistakes with handling the media or public perceptions, some coaches are lucky enough to overcome their disasters or find someone willing to give them a second chance."

The classic example of the "second-chance" successful head coach is Bill Belichick -- who underwent some rough times with the Cleveland Browns before his wild success in New England -- though history is also littered with coaches that got another shot and failed again.

Ultimately for team owner Stan Kroenke, it could come down to whether he feels that another man can do a far superior job to the incumbent:

- Tim Kavanagh

Mike Sando said:
"The question isn't always whether a coach deserves to be fired. It's whether the organization has a better alternative."
[/textarea]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I strongly agree with what Sando said. If a move is made, it has to be a very solid one. We can't end up 4th or 5th choice.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I will say this.

If the Rams do clean house, including Devaney(which I don't want to see happen), then next season is going to be shit. Absolute shit.

Not only will the new HC have to hire a new staff, but a new GM will have to be found, which delays the HC hiring process by about 2 weeks.

And if Spags is fired(Which I don't want to happen), I want someone with a defensive background, bring in someone on offense(but don't change systems unless it is WCO) and go from there.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
I strongly agree with what Sando said. If a move is made, it has to be a very solid one. We can't end up 4th or 5th choice.

Well, the Rams did hire a big name guy in Spags, but I think that has to do more with his relationship with Devaney if anything. He turned down more $ from the 'Skins.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Lesson said:
I will say this.

If the Rams do clean house, including Devaney(which I don't want to see happen), then next season is going to be shit. Absolute shit.

Not only will the new HC have to hire a new staff, but a new GM will have to be found, which delays the HC hiring process by about 2 weeks.

That's what I'm worried about.

I don't believe anything till it happens, I think people expect it to happen, but I don't think Stan has tipped his hat yet, he's pretty smart. If he does feel he wants to shake things up, I hope he has a really good coach who is ready to step in.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
Lesson said:
I will say this.

If the Rams do clean house, including Devaney(which I don't want to see happen), then next season is going to be shyte. Absolute shyte.

That's what I'm worried about.

I don't believe anything till it happens, I think people expect it to happen, but I don't think Stan has tipped his hat yet, he's pretty smart. If he does feel he wants to shake things up, I hope he has a really good coach who is ready to step in.

And thats the problem. Its a "what have you done for me lately" league. What happens if Kroenke keeps everyone and makes a few minor changes? Will media folks rip him for that decision? Will fans in St. Louis be pissed? How does it affect ticket sales next year?

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I don't want Spags to leave only because I like what he has done with the defense, and its going get better. If he leaves I'm scared that the defense will fall apart without its important piece(Spags).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The only guys I can think of that could be HCs are Mike Zimmer, the OC from Carolina, Cowher, Fisher, maybe Coughlin.

Are aany of those guys really better than Spags??? I really don't think so...maybe Zimmer, maybe. But Spags is a good coach. Give him a healthy roster and a real offseason.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
The only guys I can think of that could be HCs are Mike Zimmer, the OC from Carolina, Cowher, Fisher, maybe Coughlin.

Are aany of those guys really better than Spags??? I really don't think so...maybe Zimmer, maybe. But Spags is a good coach. Give him a healthy roster and a real offseason.

I don't think any of those guys would do a better job than Spags, if they would take the job. I don't think Cowher would take it personally, I don't think he comes back unless it's to a team that is a contender with minimal rebuilding required.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Angry Ram said:

Coughlin, Cowher and Fisher aren't as good as Spags?!?

The only guy who might be better is the one from the Bengals?!?

The Rams have their own version of Rod Marinelli. Good DC who wasn't suited to be a HC.

Angry Ram

moklerman said:
Angry Ram said:

The Rams have their own version of Rod Marinelli. Good DC who wasn't suited to be a HC.

Cowher has been out of coaching for years now. What makes you think he even has the passion to coach now?

Coughlin's Giants teams are not consistent, aside from 1 miracle SB run w/ a miracle play. He's more known for his late season collapses than successes. Only reason the Giants won that SB is b/c of a fluky play to Tyree and a great gameplan by their DC who's the current HC of the Rams.

Fisher = overrated. IDK what the fascination over him is. Yeah he's had some good years, but a lot of average to bad years. 6 seasons of 10+ wins, 10 seasons 8-8 or worse.

And yes, I think Zimmer could be a good HC. Great DC, players like playing for him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Angry Ram said:
moklerman said:
Angry Ram said:

Cowher has been out of coaching for years now. What makes you think he even has the passion to coach now?

Coughlin's Giants teams are not consistent, aside from 1 miracle SB run w/ a miracle play. He's more known for his late season collapses than successes. Only reason the Giants won that SB is b/c of a fluky play to Tyree and a great gameplan by their DC who's the current HC of the Rams.

Fisher = overrated. IDK what the fascination over him is. Yeah he's had some good years, but a lot of average to bad years. 6 seasons of 10+ wins, 10 seasons 8-8 or worse.

And yes, I think Zimmer could be a good HC. Great DC, players like playing for him.
All of the guys you mentioned usually averaged per year in wins what Spagnuolo has totaled in his 3 year career.

I'm not arguing that any of them are the best coach ever but it's pretty absurd to put Spagnuolo in the conversation when it comes to coaching accomplishments. Cowher and Coughlin are both Super Bowl winners for heaven's sake! It's patently absurd to dismiss their careers and then go so far as to claim Spagnuolo is even better than them.

What in the world can that claim possibly be based on? The only coach who is comparable to Spagnuolo is Rod Marinelli. Until that changes, Spags doesn't get mentioned with Super Bowl winners who have YEARS of success on their resume'.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
moklerman said:
It's patently absurd to dismiss their careers and then go so far as to claim Spagnuolo is even better than them.
He didn't necessarily say that. And everyone's entitled to their opinion. This isn't a situation where a magic wand can be waved and all will be right with the world. There's a culture that's been established for YEARS with the teams that had those 'great' head coaches. How well did Mariucci do when he left San Francisco to coach for the dysfunction that was the Detroit Lions? See what I'm getting at here? It wasn't as much a product of their own doing that you saw with their teams. And when those coaches experienced real loss in personnel, their records also reflected that. Past achievements do make those coaches better at this point, though, there's no doubting that. I'm with AR though, in that I don't want Fisher within a country mile of this Organization.

All that said, it would be just as silly to say that Spagnuolo is a horrible coach based solely on records. That eliminates entirely everything that happened during his watch. This is a 'culture' that has been established for less than 3 years. And one that's supposed to undo decades of really poor front office structure. Dismissive arguments don't work no matter how you apply them, so it's best to keep an open mind about what people are trying to say.

Lesson

Oh, really?
moklerman said:
The only coach who is comparable to Spagnuolo is Rod Marinelli.

Spags coached a team that went winless? :what:

moklerman

Warner-phile
Lesson said:
moklerman said:

Nope, but over the course of 3 years, they will either have identical records or very close to it. "Comparable".
He didn't necessarily say that.
Are aany of those guys really better than Spags??? I really don't think so..
Seems to me that he's saying it. Chudzinkski, Cowher, Coughlin and Fisher aren't better than Spags. Zimmer maybe is.
All that said, it would be just as silly to say that Spagnuolo is a horrible coach based solely on records.
I don't think anyone made that claim. But that's just as good a place to start as anywhere else, isn't it? The record pretty much encapsulates everything that the coach has been doing.

As far as Mariucci as an example, I'm not sure he's a good one. He at least had some head coaching success before struggling with Detroit. I think my Marinelli example is pretty spot on.

Let's use him as the example for just a moment. Would anyone here think for two seconds that ol' Rod was just a victim of circumstance and that he deserved a 4th year to try and turn things around? That he was actually a good HC who was just unfortunate to be in a situation of having to overcome a negative culture on top of everything else?

And if they did want to make that case, then why has Schwartz got the Lions turned around and headed in the right direction?

I think all Rams fans hoped and prayed that Spagnuolo would be to the Rams what Schwartz has been to the Lions but unfortunately, he's been a lot more like Marinelli.

If it all just boiled down to injuries as to why the Rams have struggled I could see giving Spags another year but he's not a good HC in many ways. Personnel moves, game day decisions, playcalling, basic philosophy, etc. IMO, he certainly hasn't earned another year and he hasn't been earning it his entire time as the HC, not just 2011.

I'm not thrilled by Fisher or Cowher or Coughlin but it's a huge insult to any or all of them to say that they aren't as good as Spagnuolo. Those guys all had sustained success and reached very high levels of success too. Spagnuolo will wind up being the worst or 2nd worst modern day HC. There is no comparison other than those with rose colored glasses on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
moklerman said:
There is no comparison other than those with rose colored glasses on.
If you say so, and you're being dismissive again. And I'm not going to get into a whole big thing over this. People have different opinions and perceptions, so it is what it is. You have opinions, I have opinions. Yes Mariucci had success before going to Detroit, but you're ignoring what I just said earlier. You step into an environment not conducive to success, and you won't be successful. That was the main point. I don't really have a whole lot to add to that, and I understand what you're saying too.

Angry Ram

moklerman said:
Lesson said:
moklerman said:

Nope, but over the course of 3 years, they will either have identical records or very close to it. "Comparable".
He didn't necessarily say that.
Are aany of those guys really better than Spags??? I really don't think so..
Seems to me that he's saying it. Chudzinkski, Cowher, Coughlin and Fisher aren't better than Spags. Zimmer maybe is.
All that said, it would be just as silly to say that Spagnuolo is a horrible coach based solely on records.
I don't think anyone made that claim. But that's just as good a place to start as anywhere else, isn't it? The record pretty much encapsulates everything that the coach has been doing.

As far as Mariucci as an example, I'm not sure he's a good one. He at least had some head coaching success before struggling with Detroit. I think my Marinelli example is pretty spot on.

Let's use him as the example for just a moment. Would anyone here think for two seconds that ol' Rod was just a victim of circumstance and that he deserved a 4th year to try and turn things around? That he was actually a good HC who was just unfortunate to be in a situation of having to overcome a negative culture on top of everything else?

And if they did want to make that case, then why has Schwartz got the Lions turned around and headed in the right direction?

I think all Rams fans hoped and prayed that Spagnuolo would be to the Rams what Schwartz has been to the Lions but unfortunately, he's been a lot more like Marinelli.

If it all just boiled down to injuries as to why the Rams have struggled I could see giving Spags another year but he's not a good HC in many ways. Personnel moves, game day decisions, playcalling, basic philosophy, etc. IMO, he certainly hasn't earned another year and he hasn't been earning it his entire time as the HC, not just 2011.

I'm not thrilled by Fisher or Cowher or Coughlin but it's a huge insult to any or all of them to say that they aren't as good as Spagnuolo. Those guys all had sustained success and reached very high levels of success too. Spagnuolo will wind up being the worst or 2nd worst modern day HC. There is no comparison other than those with rose colored glasses on.

I never dismissed their success.

Cowher- Does he really want to coach? Why hire a guy who doesn't want to be in it? I'm a Steeler fan too so I know all about the Jaw's accomplishments.

Fisher- I think he's incredibly overrated b/c of his long tenure. Go look @ his career records. Yeah, he's had some good years. But very up and down.

Coughlin- Again, a miracle SB run b/c of 1. an insane catch and 2. Spags' gameplan that held the top scoring O to 14 points. Go look @ his other seasons w/ the G-Men. Great, fast starts. Epic collapses.

I'm just saying for this team, currently, what could those guys do that would be any better than Spags?