Just a few plays not out coached IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I was waiting the whole game for McVay to pull out a momentum changing creative play he had stashed away all season but it never came. Instead we had less creativity in our plays than our average regular season game.

ramdonnie

UDFA
He put us in position and maybe we could have run more but a few bad reads by goff and holding onto ball too long was huge. These plays are the difference between goff and Brady as tb12 is more decisive with his experience.

Yes, Brady has more experience, but that was not the only difference. If Brady was under the same pressure, I don't think he would have done much better than Goff (assuming the plays were the same too). I would like to see an analysis on how many receivers Brady did not see during the game. That would be interesting. I personally don't think Brady is as good as he gets credit for.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Also, 9 punts and no fakes? We played scared. McVay would have called a fake punt against any other team. Many times we punted from midfield. I'm surprised we never let Hekker get us a first down. Just because it was BB, they took that out of the playbook. Our D was playing well too, so why fear Brady with the ball if we failed? One successful fake punt could have changed it for us too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was waiting the whole game for McVay to pull out a momentum changing creative play he had stashed away all season but it never came. Instead we had less creativity in our plays than our average regular season game.

It sort of felt we played safer for some reason. I don’t know, maybe that’s a bad read on my part... but we didn’t seem to change much up despite what we were doing wasn’t working.

I’m not into blame. But, I felt we didn’t have a very good game plan... or certainly didn’t seem to have a viable plan B.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Looking back at some plays from that article, if Goff hits even half of those wide open WRs it's a totally different game. We didn't execute. Some of it was on the playcalling, some of it was on Goff, but ultimately I think the inexperience and most likely the nerves of being the SB played a large part in the screwups we seldom saw out of this group. Knowing Goff and McVay, I know they're probably burning from this and I expect that they're going to take it up to another level next year. Sucks we gotta wait to see it but we're in good hands. Let's trust the process and remain positive. It's important to have that positive energy even as just spectating fans. It's really the only thing we have control over.

Hopefully next year we will see more attendance at the Coliseum and, assuming we make another run in the playoffs, I hope to see more Rams fans because being at the SB it really was a damn home game for them. That in and of itself just shows the resolve this team has. It was 90% Pats fans who were pretty loud. I can understand why a 24 year old 3rd year QB might be a tad nervous and not playing his best game, unfortunately. Let's keep growing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McVay was outcoached. Goff struggled. The OL struggled. The WRs made some costly mistakes. The running game never got going. This article does a good job of explaining how the Patriots beat us:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...erformance-history-here-how-patriots-did-rams

Simply put, Belichick used the two weeks to devise a strategy that went against his tendencies. McVay needed to do the same. He didn't. That's what made our defense so effective. Wade went against his tendencies and confused Brady. Well, Belichick did the same thing. McVay didn't counter.

I just read it, and one part really popped out as illustrating how much the loss of Kupp hurt us in this game:

"When they did play man, the Pats again surprised by generally sticking Stephon Gilmore one-on-one against Brandin Cooks, with Robert Woods doubled by Jonathan Jones and a safety."

With a healthy Kupp in the lineup, even if they do the above, Cooper is absolutely killing them even without play action.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
McVay was lousy, Goff not much better.

I said the #1 key to winning this game was more max protect for Goff because the Pats blitzed KC in the 4th a ton. My reasoning is get Jared confidence with clean pockets completely stupid on McVays part always going for the kill shot instead of protecting his QB and making sure he gets into rhythm.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Disagree. McVay was thoroughly outcoached, though the thing is...Belichick wasn't doing anything unusual or even surprising.

He was rushing 5 downhill. And the 5th guy was always coming from the right side, right at Blythe, who was a turnstile all night. It was the same for 4 quarters. And it kept working, so why WOULD they do anything different?

Meanwhile, Sean did absolutely NOTHING to adjust for this or to force the Patriots to mix it up in any way. He just kept running the same BS plays that weren't designed for that kind of defense over and over. The ONE time I saw him do something about it, they had Anderson out there, who was doing his due diligence, except never turned around to see a ball coming for his rear end.

It was like watching a game of Madden where some pro is going up against a 12 year old kid who just goes "I'll run the same 5 plays every time, it's sure to work eventually!"

And that hit on Goff at the sidelines, I'm sorry, but that was clean. He was clearly still inbounds. Like, the Patriots got away with some ish last night, but that wasn't one of them.

Fact of the matter is, with the way New England played last night, we should have absolutely curbstomped them and, with a couple of adjustments to the strategy, it would have been a 27-10 game. I thought for SURE with the long halftime they were going to come out and be a different team, but nope, they were doing the Exact. Same. BS that wasn't working the 1st half.

Yup, this this this...

They kept on running the same ZBs running plays. i was yelling at the screen, it's not working!!!! lol. Sometimes coaches get in their own head and outcoach themselves. and I think this was a clear case of that. Inexperience and overthinking it.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I was hammered watching the game, but all I wanted was a jetsweep to Gurley with CJA in the backfield :(

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Defender hooked his arm and then he lost control of it. I don't think he ever hit the ball.
Ball hit, perfectly, one of Cooks hands as the other was coming over....bad timing/coordination--and so he didn't grasp it with 2 hands, and the guy came over before he could secure it.. He could have had it cleanly, then been popped hard, and held on. But, that ain't Cooks' game....it is Ashlon Jeffrey's....or....

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Here's an interesting link to show some receivers Goff didn't see.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-jared-goff-rams

It's not easy when the game is so fast. I'd like to see the receivers that Brady missed during the game to compare "history's best QB" to Goff.

True. The video of Pats DBs saying they are going to have Goff “$h!tting his pants” has me boiling.

We couldn’t figure out their rush schemes?!! Goff came close so many times to blowing it open. And we could have really run more. :cautious:

Does anyone have video of the Cooks drop in the back of the end zone? I thought the defender knocked it away.
It was a
good defensive play. I thought Cooks made a lot of great plays. The Pats just made too many frustrating last second PBUs.
Ugh. Hard to argue with that... Goff missed a LOT of wide open receivers on Sunday.

But yeah, Brady had a crappy game also. And both D’s were amazing.

that’s frustrating. Our defense earnd this.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
True. The video of Pats DBs saying they are going to have Goff “$h!tting his pants” has me boiling.

We couldn’t figure out their rush schemes?!! Goff came close so many times to blowing it open. And we could have really run more. :cautious:

Me, big time. ^^^

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think Mckay did the noble thing but it was more on goffs decisions and a couple bad calls. I watched the game twice today and we easily could have won this game.
1- the bs holding penalty was brutal as we were moving to go ahead
2- on the next play 90% of the time the hit on Goff gets called for late hit and the one on Robey-Coleman was bs
3- the very next play if goff threw to Reynolds on the square in we are right back ready to go ahead
4- the late throw to cooks in 3rd qtr and then the cooks drop
5- finally on the next play had cooks broke off the route instead of challenging Gilmore who had a 10 yard cushion or goff threw left to Reynolds we are back in the mix to tie it

These to me were the few plays that decided this game and Mckay wasn't really out coached.

Thoughts?

You are correct, we could have won this game with a few more plays that were executed better.
You are incorrect that McVay wasn't really out coached. He was.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Ball hit, perfectly, one of Cooks hands as the other was coming over....bad timing/coordination--and so he didn't grasp it with 2 hands, and the guy came over before he could secure it.. He could have had it cleanly, then been popped hard, and held on. But, that ain't Cooks' game....it is Ashlon Jeffrey's....or....

Exactly, Cooks isn’t the guy for contested balls and he didn’t come down with any of the big ones. Not to mention Gilmore is a great corner. That’s why I expected Reynolds or even Everett to get those shots. That’s one thing that’s still missing in this offense, someone physical to make those catches on balls that aren’t perfect or a corner is hanging off the receivers arm.
Goff was way late with that throw to Cooks and Cooks had no choice but to wait for it, I don’t know if he gets his feet down anyway. A bigger receiver maybe comes back for that ball and high points it.

RamWoodie

Legend
My thoughts are we see what we think...but do we have enough info to base what we think on.

Ram65

Legend
My thoughts are we see what we think...but do we have enough info to base what we think on.

Good question. I've been taking what has been posted and trying to pinpoint where it all went wrong. I think it was a little bit of everything except the defense. I think McVay should have anticipated what the NE defense would do defensively. Many on TV thought they would take Cooks away with Gilmore. They did just that. Wasn't hard to figure out BB would use more zone coverage either. You had to figure they would pressure Goff and they did. The Rams didn't have answers for these things. Goff becomes a little unnerved and misses throws he doesn't normally do.

I guess it all starts with McVay. The overall play calling got some open plays that weren't made. I think he could have tweeked the offense for quicker passes using the TEs and some screens What seemed like a limited Todd Gurley didn't help either.

The what ifs

McVay countered the pass rush with quick throws and screen?
The offensive line played a little better letting Goff settle in?
Goff was a little more decisive and accurate on pass attempts?
What if Todd Gurley were truly healthy?

Any one of these could have turned the tide. A couple or more could have gotten the Rams a win.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Exactly, Cooks isn’t the guy for contested balls and he didn’t come down with any of the big ones. Not to mention Gilmore is a great corner. That’s why I expected Reynolds or even Everett to get those shots. That’s one thing that’s still missing in this offense, someone physical to make those catches on balls that aren’t perfect or a corner is hanging off the receivers arm.
Goff was way late with that throw to Cooks and Cooks had no choice but to wait for it, I don’t know if he gets his feet down anyway. A bigger receiver maybe comes back for that ball and high points it.
I was talking about the corner endzone corner throw (not the middle back one)...both hands had time to get it, hold it, absorb hit and score TD

Flint

Pro Bowler
I felt the same about both, again, Cooks wasn’t able to play through contact. That ball was right where it needed to be. We need someone who can match the physical nature of the top corners like those in Chicago and NE.