Just a few plays not out coached IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramon Ram

Starter
I think Mckay did the noble thing but it was more on goffs decisions and a couple bad calls. I watched the game twice today and we easily could have won this game.
1- the bs holding penalty was brutal as we were moving to go ahead
2- on the next play 90% of the time the hit on Goff gets called for late hit and the one on Robey-Coleman was bs
3- the very next play if goff threw to Reynolds on the square in we are right back ready to go ahead
4- the late throw to cooks in 3rd qtr and then the cooks drop
5- finally on the next play had cooks broke off the route instead of challenging Gilmore who had a 10 yard cushion or goff threw left to Reynolds we are back in the mix to tie it

These to me were the few plays that decided this game and Mckay wasn't really out coached.

Thoughts?

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I agree. Our defense was, overall, stellar, and we were in this game until the end. It was obviously our worst offensive game of the year, but we did have chances. People are freaking out about us only scoring 3 points, but Brady and the Pats only scored 3 up until the 4th quarter. Even up one TD, it Cooks catches that ball it’s a tie game and a totally different scenario. I think we made a pretty damn good offense look pretty inept for the most part, we just didn’t do enough to take the game over. Some of it in our control, some of it not.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This was on Coach he has to put us in a place to succeed and he didn't. No blame needed sometimes you don't have the best game plan or make better adjustments than the opponent.

ramdonnie

UDFA
I was just watching it over again too:

1. The Sullivan hold on Gurley's run was BS. We should have had the ball on Pat's 40 with a first down, already in field goal range, ready to take the lead.
2. The PI, grabbing Cooks' arm, on Goff's perfect TD pass could have been called. It was last second, and he was planning on catching it with both arms, so that is why it went through his right arm.
3. Tons of late hits on Goff, none called. Brady took a few late hits, but not nearly as many or as hard.
4. The defenseless receiver hit on Roby Coleman was BS. He made a great, wrap-up tackle, could not have been more text-book. That would have given us great field position and got our D off the field.
5. After the Sullivan "hold", Goff passed deep to Cooks, who was covered, but he had 2 others wide open in the middle and right side, almost as deep. That play killed us too.
6. Goff's late pass to Cooks for TD to tie the game also killed us.
7. McVay's choice to not run the ball killed us.

Yes, we could have won if we made one or two more pass plays, but if we ran more, we also could have won. The game was 3-3 until deep in 4th Q, so no, they did not crush us as the media states. The Pats barely won. They only had 1 good drive all day, the TD, which occurred after the Sullivan "hold" and miscue by Goff, which ended our previous drive and killed our momentum.

We could also argue that Wade Phillips out-couched them and made Brady look like a fool. His QB rating of 71 was his worst I think for all of his SB appearances.

It's a bummer we didn't make just one more play or get one call by the refs. This game fell just out of our hands.

Ramon Ram

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was on Coach he has to put us in a place to succeed and he didn't. No blame needed sometimes you don't have the best game plan or make better adjustments than the opponent.

He put us in position and maybe we could have run more but a few bad reads by goff and holding onto ball too long was huge. These plays are the difference between goff and Brady as tb12 is more decisive with his experience.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
Disagree. McVay was thoroughly outcoached, though the thing is...Belichick wasn't doing anything unusual or even surprising.

He was rushing 5 downhill. And the 5th guy was always coming from the right side, right at Blythe, who was a turnstile all night. It was the same for 4 quarters. And it kept working, so why WOULD they do anything different?

Meanwhile, Sean did absolutely NOTHING to adjust for this or to force the Patriots to mix it up in any way. He just kept running the same BS plays that weren't designed for that kind of defense over and over. The ONE time I saw him do something about it, they had Anderson out there, who was doing his due diligence, except never turned around to see a ball coming for his rear end.

It was like watching a game of Madden where some pro is going up against a 12 year old kid who just goes "I'll run the same 5 plays every time, it's sure to work eventually!"

And that hit on Goff at the sidelines, I'm sorry, but that was clean. He was clearly still inbounds. Like, the Patriots got away with some ish last night, but that wasn't one of them.

Fact of the matter is, with the way New England played last night, we should have absolutely curbstomped them and, with a couple of adjustments to the strategy, it would have been a 27-10 game. I thought for SURE with the long halftime they were going to come out and be a different team, but nope, they were doing the Exact. Same. BS that wasn't working the 1st half.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He put us in position and maybe we could have run more but a few bad reads by goff and holding onto ball too long was huge. These plays are the difference between goff and Brady as tb12 is more decisive with his experience.

Ehhhh....

Not feeling another blame Goff thread.

I posted last night that the Rams were that close...didn’t get it done.

Brady was shit last night.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Disagree. McVay was thoroughly outcoached, though the thing is...Belichick wasn't doing anything unusual or even surprising.

He was rushing 5 downhill. And the 5th guy was always coming from the right side, right at Blythe, who was a turnstile all night. It was the same for 4 quarters. And it kept working, so why WOULD they do anything different?

Meanwhile, Sean did absolutely NOTHING to adjust for this or to force the Patriots to mix it up in any way. He just kept running the same BS plays that weren't designed for that kind of defense over and over. The ONE time I saw him do something about it, they had Anderson out there, who was doing his due diligence, except never turned around to see a ball coming for his rear end.

It was like watching a game of Madden where some pro is going up against a 12 year old kid who just goes "I'll run the same 5 plays every time, it's sure to work eventually!"

And that hit on Goff at the sidelines, I'm sorry, but that was clean. He was clearly still inbounds. Like, the Patriots got away with some ish last night, but that wasn't one of them.

Fact of the matter is, with the way New England played last night, we should have absolutely curbstomped them and, with a couple of adjustments to the strategy, it would have been a 27-10 game. I thought for SURE with the long halftime they were going to come out and be a different team, but nope, they were doing the Exact. Same. BS that wasn't working the 1st half.

I think some of those were on goff to read and make better decisions like getting rid of the ball or throw to the right read. Once those 15 seconds are gone it's all on Jared to make decisions without coach in his ear.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay was outcoached. Goff struggled. The OL struggled. The WRs made some costly mistakes. The running game never got going. This article does a good job of explaining how the Patriots beat us:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...erformance-history-here-how-patriots-did-rams

Simply put, Belichick used the two weeks to devise a strategy that went against his tendencies. McVay needed to do the same. He didn't. That's what made our defense so effective. Wade went against his tendencies and confused Brady. Well, Belichick did the same thing. McVay didn't counter.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Ramon Ram Goff was far from great, but coach needs to notice when we are struggling and we were from OL back. Yes it would be nice to let go of the ball quicker but our routes take awhile to develop and the hot reads and dump offs were not going for any yardage. McVay got beat first the rest fell in line. It was a close game hopefully we get another chance soon

Poppinfresh

Rookie
I think some of those were on goff to read and make better decisions like getting rid of the ball or throw to the right read. Once those 15 seconds are gone it's all on Jared to make decisions without coach in his ear.

Did you know that the first pass attempt to a tight end wasn't until the 3rd quarter? (I didn't know that either till earlier today, though I had noticed that Everett didn't seem to be involved in the offense at all as the game was unfolding).

Know how you stop Bill from rushing 5, with that 5th guy always being on the right? Snap-step-step-throw to Everett. 2 or 3 7 yard gains and all of a sudden the Patriots are going to start doing something else. Maybe that "something else" will be effective, maybe it won't, but it's certainly better than guaranteeing that they'll keep doing something that is always working.

Ramon Ram

Starter
@Ramon Ram Goff was far from great, but coach needs to notice when we are struggling and we were from OL back. Yes it would be nice to let go of the ball quicker but our routes take awhile to develop and the hot reads and dump offs were not going for any yardage. McVay got beat first the rest fell in line. It was a close game hopefully we get another chance soon

I'm not even saying goff played that bad I'm just saying a few bad plays were the difference and we could have won despite Mckay's preparation and adjustments.
Tough game to lose and hopefully we will be right back again as hard as that is to do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so no, they did not crush us as the media states.

is that what the bozos are saying? this is why i'm on a media ban. i can't handle listening to fuckwits that don't know their heads from their arseholes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
the thing is...Belichick wasn't doing anything unusual or even surprising.

Fact of the matter is, with the way New England played last night, we should have absolutely curbstomped them

Disagree with both statements above.
As jrry points out, and in the link to the espn story, Belichick was indeed mixing it up and going against his usual tendencies (especially with increased zone coverages).

And IMHO I think the espn article is correct in saying the Pats played ridiculously good D last night. From what I saw, the Pats consistently outplayed the Rams for all 4 quarters, and it’s a credit to the Rams (especially the D) that we were able to keep it as close as we did.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Does anyone have video of the Cooks drop in the back of the end zone? I thought the defender knocked it away.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Here's an interesting link to show some receivers Goff didn't see.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-jared-goff-rams

It's not easy when the game is so fast. I'd like to see the receivers that Brady missed during the game to compare "history's best QB" to Goff.

Great read. At the same time none of that takes into consideration on most of those plays Goff had pressure in his face and had to avoid being sacked. Very easy to see after the open receivers after the fact.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams scored 3 points in the game.
It was an epic disaster. They failed to execute as a unit. McVay got schooled and Goff played poorly.
They’ve both owned up to it, and that’s what champions do. They’ll be better for it.
Going back thru the game and picking out a play here and a play there while the team only scored 3 points is reminiscent of the Fisher days when we were repeating that exercise on a weekly basis.